Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

youLOVEamelia
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:18 pm
User Image

Ravenclaw Common Room

Ravenclaw Tower is located on the west side of the castle. Instead of a doorknob or a keyhole, the door to the common room has a bronze door knocker in the shape of an eagle. The eagle will ask you a question that you have to answer correctly before you can enter the common room.

The Common Room is decorated with blue and bronze silk wall hangings and the carpet is midnight blue and covered in stars. The room is dome shaped, and the ceiling is decorated with stars. There are bookcases and tables and chairs all over. Next to the door leading to the dormitories is a life-size statue of Rowena Ravenclaw made out of white marble.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:16 pm
>>Nathanial Martin Ross<<

better stop crying hello and goodbye-ing
go on through me slip right through my hands
you get your time and the other half's mine
it's okay this love weighs fifty men

User Image
It was Saturday and the rain poured over the grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Nate stared out the windows of Ravenclaw Tower aimlessly. He wished the rain would stop, for he planned to spend his day outside, enjoying the fresh air as he read his book. Of course, the rain pattering on the roof made a nice background noise for reading. It wasn't exactly what he'd wanted, but it worked. He sat down on one of the comfortable couches and opened his book. He'd been reading a lot of muggle literature lately. Now, he was enjoying Catcher in the Rye. He found the story very witty and amusing.

Books had always been an escape for Nathanial. He could relax when he was reading a book. He could escape into another world that wasn't his own. They were worlds where Nate was sure that his panic attacks wouldn't happen. Because with his socially induced panic attacks didn't make for a happily ever after. He'd made one friend in his entire life. That was Elizabeth. He hoped that maybe he would make more friends. The other day had been really encouraging for him, as it was something that never happened to him before. Suddenly, the ability to be around people seemed possible.

While he was reading, his little corgi, Archie, walked around the common room. He usually stayed in the dorm room, and had his little bed in there. With his short legs, he couldn't get up onto the couch, but tried desperately. "Oi...alright, Archie," he said, scooping the dog up. He rested against his master, as though he were reading over his shoulder. Archie was Nate's one true friend. It was a little sad, since they couldn't really communicate. But he felt like he understood the dog better than he understood most humans in the world. Other people were just so unpredictable. That was what scared Nate the most. He couldn't tell what reactions he would get from them if he said something wrong or if he acted like himself even. It was perfectly nerve wracking.

oh why (why) can't (can't) you take me in your arms now?
why (why) can't (can't) you take me?
why (why) can't (can't) you take me in your arms now?
why can't you take me?

youLOVEamelia
Captain

Snake_in_my_Boot
Crew

Beloved Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:49 pm
Will we lose it someday?
I want to protect you and that disappearing smile
The ringing voice that calls me dries out
Even if it gets erased by the wind along time
I will find you...

User Image Gregory Leo Wood User Image

It seemed like everyone in the school had jumped out of bed excited that it was Saturday. Even the know-it-alls in Ravenclaw were glad that they finally got a break after a week of classes. At on point this morning, the Ravenclaw Tower had actually been filled with busy students heading downstairs to get some breakfast. One of the only few people that stayed up in the tower was Gregory Leo Wood. The lazy sixth year usually slept in on the weekend, but he had been startled awake by a few of his so-called buddies in the same room as him. They had shaken him awake while thrusting mugs of butterbeer in his face. Leo was thankful that they had waken him up earlier than usual this gloomy morning because he wanted to get down to the Great Hall and meet up with his Gryffindor friends. The only problem was that his buddies wouldn't let him leave until he chugged an entire mug of the sweet liquid they had probably bought off of a Gryffindor that was charging them more than it was worth. Their excuse for the merry morning was that no other guys from Ravenclaw had put their name in the Goblet yet. Leo had been admired by his fellow Ravenclaws all week long since he was one of the few who were brave enough to slip their name into the fiery cup that could thrust anyone into task of utter peril and hardship. There had been a few others in his house to be courageous enough, like Lola Spencer and Sarah Kindler.

When he could finally escape his fellow rowdy sixth years, Gregory had quickly slipped on his navy blue pants so that he didn't stroll down to the Great Hall in nothing but his boxers. He had already showed a few girls a little too much on the train ride here, and they hadn't stopped bugging him since. Every time he would walk past that group of giggly Hufflepuff 5th years they would blush and start whispering amongst themselves. Luckily, none of them had been brave enough to ask him if he had a date to the Yule Ball because he didn't think he could tell them no. He didn't want to be mean, but he wouldn't want to go to the ball with anyone other than Rose. Realizing that he had dozed off for quite some time and was standing next to his bed without a shirt on. Laughing at himself, Gregory pulled on his white button up shirt and buttoned it up to the second to last button. Then he lastly slipped his blue and gray tie around his neck, and pulled it so it was snug. Satisfied with his usual style of dress, Leo pocketed his wand and headed downstairs to the common room.

Nobody was in Ravenclaw Tower except for Nathaniel Ross, a fifth year in his house. Gregory hadn't really taken the time to get to know his fellow Ravenclaw, but he did know that Nathaniel wasn't the kind of person who liked to talk a lot. Leo respected that, he usually didn't like to talk with people when he felt his words would be wasted on them. The quiet and reserved fifth year was looking at the rain drops gently drifting down one of the tower's windows looking out at the school grounds. Not wanting to distract him from his thoughts, Leo politely waved at him to show his acknowledgment and then headed down the tower to go and get some breakfast.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Even though I keep on falling,
You laugh and help me up every time
As I board the vacant back of the bus
You flash me a small smile
I must place my trust in you...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:35 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Lola Spencer
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Rain pounded on the windows of Lola's dorm room, but it didn't wake her; she had been laying in bed for at least an hour reading her Transfiguration text. Deciding that it was time to get out of bed and actually get some work done, she slid out of the warm comfort of her bed, changed into some casual Saturday clothes, and headed down to the Common Room, stack of books, parchment, and quills in hand.
She carefully made her way down the stairs, as she couldn't really see where she was going due to the large stack of study materials blocking her line of sight to her feet. As she reached the bottom step, however, her foot only caught half of the stair, and she flew several feet forward to the floor, her books scattering all around her.
After letting out an "Oof!", she quickly sat up and began to bother her belongings. It was only then that she noticed an older Ravenclaw, Nathanial, she thought his name was, sitting on a couch enjoying a book (or at least attempting to until she ruined the peaceful atmosphere). "Sorry about that..." she apologized, as she went about stacking her texts on a table near the window.

Spiral Tuboflex
Crew

Feline Worshipper

26,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Elocutionist 200

youLOVEamelia
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:28 am

User Image
Catcher in the Rye was perhaps one of the most interesting novels Nathanial had ever read. And with the fully stocked library back at his father's mansion, he'd read most of the classics. But this book was really only about a boy. A boy who was almost a man, but not quite. He got kicked out of school and didn't want to tell his parents. And instead of waiting for the semester to end, he left early and just went to do whatever he wanted around New York City. Nathanial wished that he could just escape his problems like that. Escape his father and the mansion and just do what he wanted. Thinking this he continued to read:

"When I was all set to go, when I had my bags and all, I stood for a while next to the stairs and took a last look down that goddam corridor. I was sort of crying. I don't know why. I put my red hunting hat on, and turned the peak around to the back, the way I liked it, and then I yelled at the top of my goddam voice, "Sleep tight, ya morons!" I'll bet I woke up every b*****d on the whole floor. Then I got the hell out. Some stupid guy had thrown peanut shells all over the stairs, and I damn near broke my crazy neck."

Nate couldn't imagine doing anything so audacious as this. To just leave without any notice. It made him wonder if anyone would miss him. Would his father miss his illegitimate child who almost ruined his reputation? Would he even care if his son went to go find his mother, or just to fool around London? Nate didn't think he would. Petting his little dog, Archie, he smiled. At least he would always have Archie around with him.

Nathanial barely noticed anything that was going on around him. That was the nice thing about reading books. You didn't have to pay attention to anything else. You just had to read the words and that was easy enough. He did, however, noticed when another Ravenclaw student--Gregory his name was--walked into the common room. It was difficult not to notice people walking through when the common room was so empty. He nodded back to the Ravenclaw seeker, a soft smile on his face as he realized that people were noticing him. It was odd the way that it just started happening. Or maybe it had been happening all along and he'd just been oblivious. After his chat with Elizabeth the other day, he felt more confident than he ever did in his entire life. He wanted to try talking to other people. The common room was perfect for that on a Saturday morning, well for him anyway, because not so many people were awake yet so he wouldn't feel overloaded or anything that might trigger another episode.

He was just getting back to his book when he heard a disturbance. A fourth year--he was quite sure her name was Lola, but she certainly wasn't a showgirl with yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there-- had just dropped all of her books all over the place. Nathanial had done that many times, himself, so he felt sympathetic for her having to carry around so many books. With her apology, he smiled softly. "It's okay," he said, his tone of voice terribly quiet. His weak voice also made it very difficult to talk to other people. They usually couldn't hear what he was saying, even when he tried to project his voice. But now it was quiet in the common room and he was sure that his voice would be just fine for now.

why can't you take me?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:58 pm
Lola Spencer
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

THUNK. At last, all of her books had made their way to the table. She pulled out a chair and was about ready to take a seat and get started, when she took more notice of her fellow Ravenclaw on the couch after his response to her apology. "Catcher In The Rye, ey?" she asked him after recognizing the picture on the cover of his novel. Though her parents were magical, neither one admitted this fact to the other for a good part of Lola's childhood and she therefore lived as a muggle for several years. Because of this fact, she was pretty well versed in classic muggle literature. And as she grew older and was introduced to the wizarding world, her reading interests switched primarily to spell books and histories of wizarding personalities and locations. But her father owned a muggle record shop, and therefore always felt it was important that Lola was well-versed in the best of culture, whether it be part of the muggle or wizarding world. I mean, let's be honest: A History of Hogwarts can be fascinating, but it's no Catch-22, one of Lola's personal favorites.
She had always appreciated her father's philosophy, but was somewhat disappointed when she arrived at Hogwarts and many of her peers had no knowledge of some of muggle literature's highlights. And here sat a boy in the Ravenclaw common room reading one of those classics.
"A part of me wishes I had the courage to say whatever I'm thinking to people like Holden does," Lola confessed to the somewhat-stranger. "But then I remember he got kicked out of school, and I kind of like it here at Hogwarts," she joked. Not wanting to ruin any parts of the book for Nathanial, she decided not to hint at any more of the plot. "I'm Lola, by the way. I don't think we've ever been formally introduced. It's Nathanial, right?" She felt bad that she was interrupting his reading session, but at the same time, she kind of wanted to procrastinate on her work for a little while.

Spiral Tuboflex
Crew

Feline Worshipper

26,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Elocutionist 200

youLOVEamelia
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:00 am

User Image
Nate was a tad bit surprised when she recognized the cover of his book, as well as its title. But he was glad, for he liked finding those who had an interest in the same things as him. Muggle literature wasn't so popular among the students of Hogwarts, but it wasn't surprising that some of the Ravenclaws decided to delve into it as they were always striving to attain more knowledge. Of course, he'd read all of the fairytales of the Wizarding World as well, but there was something special about Muggle literature. It was interesting to see both how they live without magic and what they thought about magic. Many muggle writers had a very strange view on magic. Nate always appreciated the genius it took to come up with such imaginative plots. "Yes, it's one of my favorites," he said to Lola, a soft smile on his face.

He listened to everything she had to say about Holden and how she wished she could be like him. Nate, too, wished that he had the same audacity that Holden had. But like Lola said, Hogwarts was a good place to be and it wouldn't be good to get kicked out like the main character of the story. He couldn't imagine having to go home to his father after telling him that he got kicked out of school. And he certainly wouldn't be able to just run away and hang out around the city instead of going home. "Yes, his audacity has it's drawbacks, but...I think I'd like to be a little more like him too," he agreed. Maybe he wouldn't want to be exactly like Holden. A little restraint was never a bad thing. But he wished he was somewhere in the middle...between himself and the erratic character. It wouldn't be a terrible thing to be able to just throw everything away for a few hours and do whatever you want.

Nate's pink eyes widened a bit when he realized that she'd known his name. That made about three people that paid attention to him and knew who he was. That was about three more than he expected. "Call me Nate," he said, surprising himself even. He wasn't usually so personable, but after making a friend the other day, he seemed a bit more confident than he usually was. He wasn't a big fan of his name, but had nobody to call him by his nickname. Except now he did. "It's nice to meet you." And really, it was. He always felt that he ought to have some friends at school. The only people he really knew were some of his father's friend back home, and it was only those who were particularly nice to him that he befriended. Some of them were not so nice.

It was then that his corgi terrier, Archie, decided to run up to them, thinking he was being ignored. Having not so many friends of the human race, Nathanial tended to spoil his dog a little bit. He was used to the extra attention from his master. Now that Nate was making some friends and loaded with the extra homework and studying for his OWLs, Archie wasn't so please. He picked the dog up onto his lap. "Oh, and this is Archie," he told Lola, scratching Archie behind the ears.

why can't you take me?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:56 am
Lola Spencer
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

"Well then, Nate it is! It's nice to meet you too, Nate." And she was being sincere: Lola loved meeting new people, but never really had the time to get to know anyone extremely well due to her large course load. However, she was surprised that she had never had a conversation with Nate: after all, he was in the same house as she, and he had been here during her entire stay at Hogwarts. "I guess the whole "I-am-a-Ravenclaw-and-must-always-be-working" mentality kind of prevented us from meeting previously," she joked. However, her slight chuckle ended when her eyes once again caught sight of the books she had just finished stacking on the table, reminding her of all the work she had to complete this weekend.
Deciding against a huge study session as she had planned, she instead grabbed the topmost book off of the stack (along with some parchment and writing utensils) and headed toward one of the overstuffed armchairs near the couch occupied by Nate. Sure, the comfortable chairs were not the most productive place to study and do homework, but after all, it was only Saturday. She still had Sunday to work her way through the large stack of texts and the weather was sure to prevent her from flying tomorrow, Lola's most common procrastination method. Therefore she was pretty much guaranteed to have ample time for work this weekend, or so she reassured herself as she settled into the chair and flipped through the pages of her book to find the correct chapter. "So what other muggle books are you into?" she questioned Nate, wanting him to know that didn't mind chatting while working. Hopefully he didn't mind chatting while reading, a task that Lola herself was unable to do.

Spiral Tuboflex
Crew

Feline Worshipper

26,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Elocutionist 200

youLOVEamelia
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:26 am

User Image
Nate grinned. She was probably half-right about the reason they'd never really met before. The other half of it was definitely Nate's tendencies to run and hide when it came to meeting people. It wasn't that he didn't like people. On the contrary, he knew that some of them were quite nice, but sometimes he got so nervous that he could barely speak. It was a terrible thing to have sweaty palms just when talking with someone casually. But he felt pretty relaxed speaking with Lola. She was obviously very nice and interested in some of the same things as he. What was even better was the fact that he could tell she was at the same intellectual level as himself, if not a higher one. "Yes well...you know how it is. All those classes tend to build up quite a bit," he replied with a soft smile. Maybe in the beginning of the year it didn't seem like it would be so much work, but the teachers only got tougher from then on.

Nate was a little more surprised when she came to join him by the comfy chairs. He always preferred working at a desk while doing his work and knew that most of the Ravenclaws felt the same. But perhaps she didn't mind talking a bit while she did her work. Nate didn't really mind reading and talking. He was good at multitasking and could manage both at the same time. At the question, he thought for a moment. He had a lot of books that he read, but listing them was more difficult. "Well...I have quite a lot of favorites...I was recently reading His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. I like the way he instills his anti-religious beliefs into a sort of fantasy world parallel to our own. And then there's his complete opposite, C.S. Lewis and his Chronicles of Narnia in which he instills his Christian faith. Oh! And Dorian Grey has such an interesting story. I mean, a man that doesn't age while a portrait of him shows all his blackness and age...it's quite brilliant. I like the classics really," he told her, realizing that he'd been rambling about it for a while. He knew quite a lot about literature, muggle or wizard literature. It was rare for him to be able to show that knowledge off in anyway, especially with someone who had similar interests.

why can't you take me?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:15 pm
Lola Spencer
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Lola smiled as Nate's dog settled down into his lap, obviously not believing he was getting the amount of attention he deserved. "He's adorable! And Archie is such a cute name." Lola slightly regretted her word choice: most men would prefer to not have their names called "cute." However, animals never really seemed to mind, a thought proved by the continued happiness Archie displayed as he came closer to meeting his petting quota for the day.
Lola nodded in agreement with Nate's comment on how schoolwork tended to build up. "Yeah, I try to work on it throughout the week, but it still accumulates to all that during by the weekend," she commented, with a wave of her hand toward the stack of books residing on the common room table. "When Quidditch season starts up again, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. If only all of the time-turners hadn't been destroyed all those years ago in the Ministry of Magic... Then again, I doubt I would trust myself with one. I would probably never use it for fear of future me running into past me in the hallways or something," she giggled.
She listened intently to Nate's book choices. "I've heard a lot about those series, but I've never gotten around to reading them. I'll definitely add them to my list, though. But I actually just started reading Dorian Gray on the train ride here. Once I get a little further into it, I'll let you know and we can discuss it or something." Lola enjoyed the thought of having someone else to discuss muggle literature with.
Lola focused her attention on her Potions essay for a short amount of time and cranked out an inch and a half on the possible uses of mandrake root. However, as her flow of knowledge slowed, she let her mind wander to the other things she had left to do before classes started up again on Monday. Seven more inches on this essay, finish my number charts for Arithmancy, practice Cheering Charms... Suddenly Lola let out a gasp as she realized that she had completely forgotten about the biggest social event of the year: the Yule Ball! Of course, she still had plenty of time to track down a dress, shoes, and whatever else she needed to wear. She just couldn't believe she had let it slip her mind the entire week. "Sorry about that..." Lola always found herself apologizing for interrupting others. Her noises and/or crashes probably weren't too much of a bother to anyone else, but she always worried about what others thought of her. A definite problem that she needed to work on. "It's just that I realized I haven't gotten ready at all for the Yule Ball... If I'm not old enough to put my name in the Goblet, I'm just going to have to pour all of my energy into looking good at the Yule Ball, haha. How about you? Did you put your name into the Goblet?" Lola was disappointed that she missed the cut by one year, but knew that she would have her chance eventually. Or at least she hoped that she would have her chance eventually.

Spiral Tuboflex
Crew

Feline Worshipper

26,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Elocutionist 200

youLOVEamelia
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:39 pm

User Image
Nate was happy to hear she approved of his dog's name. Most people told him it sounded like the name of some old fart. Archie was a bit of an oldie name, but Nathanial had his own reasons for naming the dog that. "I thought it was too! It's short for Archibald Alexander Leach, but that was a bit too long so I shortened it to Archie. It's the name of one of my favorite muggle film actors. Except he changed his name to Cary Grant when he started acting. But Archie here hardly looked like a Cary so I decided on his real name," he explained. He was quite into muggle movies as well, but he preferred the older ones to the more recent movies. He liked the way that muggles found these motion pictures to be so amazing when wizards had just plain old photographs that did practically the same thing. He continued petting the dog while he thought about this. Archie liked being scratched behind the ears quite a bit, as displayed by his tail wagging wildly.

Listening to what Lola said about when Quidditch season started, Nate was glad that he never joined the team. Not that he would have made it had he tried out. "I'm so glad not to be on the quidditch team for that exact reason. Not to mention, I'm not good at flying," he said truthfully. For some reason, he had a ridiculously difficult time with it during his first year. Either way, he just wasn't an athletic person. His slim form was kept only by the freakishly fast metabolism he had. "I spend most of my time reading, as you might have guessed. So I'm not that good at much else." He was glad to hear that she was reading Dorian Grey, as it was definitely one of his favorite books. "Dorian Grey is a classic in the muggle world, so it's a good read. And they make references to him in a lot of other muggle literature. He's quite iconic."

Nate jumped at the gasp, thinking perhaps that she realized how socially inept he was. At her apology he shook his head. But what could have possibly spooked her like that? The Yule Ball? Nate hadn't even thought about it. Since he didn't have any friends and he could hardly ask anyone one to go as a date--not many were open to his sexuality, or at least he didn't think so--he figured he wouldn't go. Then she asked about the Goblet. Every time he walked by the thing he thought about putting his name in, but realized that he would never be picked. "No, I didn't put my name in. I would never get picked anyway. I remember hearing stories about the last tournament and it scares me that something like that can happen. I'm scared for whoever gets picked. I just don't think someone with as much fear as I could get picked from the Goblet," he explained with a small smile on his face. He didn't feel bad about it. He didn't want to be the Hogwarts champion. He would probably have one of his 'episodes' while in front of so many people. the pressure would just kill him.

why can't you take me?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:34 am
Lola Spencer
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Lola was relieved at Nate's reaction of her comment regarding his dog's name. "Cary Grant... I've definitely heard the name before, but I haven't seen too many older muggle films. My dad always supplied me with a mix of muggle and wizarding music and books, but not really films." Lola knew that muggle films were similar to wizard portraits, but that they weren't "live". Rather, they were recorded with a whole mess of electronic devices. Her father's secondary occupation in owning a muggle record store required that he know the basic workings of such electronics, and he would often tell Lola about them before she fell asleep, her own form of "bedtime stories". When she was younger she occasionally watched movies with muggle friends, but at home she spent more time reading, studying, or playing Quidditch. Therefore, she was never really exposed to the classics of which Nate spoke.
"I know Quidditch isn't for everyone, but I'm sure you could be good at it with some practice." Lola knew she hadn't been very good at the sport when she first picked it up. It wasn't until she had picked the position of keeper and focused solely on it that her skill level began to increase. "There's nothing wrong with reading all the time," Lola stated. "It's definitely one of my favorite hobbies. But if you ever want to learn Quidditch or practice flying or anything, let me know and I'd be glad to go to the Pitch with you." Obviously today's weather did not permit such an outing, but she wanted to let Nate know that the offer stood if he ever decided to take her up on it.
Lola listened to Nate's opinions on the Triwizard Tournament, and began to disagree with him on his chances of being picked. "Well that's just not true! I think you'd have a good chance of being picked. Any of the older Ravenclaws stand a good chance, I think." He then confessed his fears about the dangers of the competition. "Yeah, I do wish I could enter, but sometimes it's a relief knowing that I'm not subjecting myself to the danger that others are. If it continues on into my future years, though, I think I'll enter. But you are going to the Yule Ball, right? It's going to be fantastic!"

Spiral Tuboflex
Crew

Feline Worshipper

26,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Elocutionist 200

youLOVEamelia
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:50 pm

User Image
When he heard that she'd heard the name Cary Grant, Nate was immediately quite pleased. Not many muggles even knew the name, as he was an actor a long time ago. Nathanial thought he was the best actor to ever grace the world with his talent. "He was quite famous in his time. But not many people our age know about him. He died in...1986 I think. So we weren't even born yet," he said with a smile. He knew his Cary Grant fact, but pretended not to be sure when he died. He also knew that the actor was born in 1904 and lived in Surrey (where there is now a statue of him). He knew the rumors of homosexuality with fellow actor Randolph Scott (something that Nathanial desperately hoped was true, for the sake of his own insecurities about his sexuality).

Nate knew she was right about quidditch. It definitely wasn't for everyone. "Some people just aren't good at flying. I'm one of those," he mentioned still with a small smile on his face, not wanting to add that he was deathly afraid of heights, another reason that it was rare for him to go to the games. It was hard for him to sit in the stands without getting shaky. He always listened for details about what happened, always wanting to know who won and what happened. He was interested in quidditch and liked watching, but knew that he couldn't really take going to watch it, and definitely not going to play it.

"You really think I could be picked for the tournament? Even if I was, I don't think I would do very well. I'd much rather watch anyway," he said truthfully, knowing what happened the last time they had the tournament at Hogwarts. Then she brought up the Yule Ball. He was dreading it. He hadn't really planned on going, since he would never have a date. "Well...I wasn't planning on it. I mean, I could never find anyone to go with me. And I'm a terrible dancer. I'm all awkward and stiff. And well...I never told anyone this but...I kind of like guys..." He mumbled it so quietly that he barely knew that he said it himself. It was embarrassing and he wasn't sure why he was telling Lola. Maybe she would hate him. Maybe she wouldn't want to be his friend because of it. He was always ashamed of himself for his tastes, but couldn't help being attracted to the same sex. "And...if even if I find another guy who likes guys to go to the Yule Ball with...It would just end up being embarrassing for the both us, right? It'd be like shouting to the world that I'm gay instead of keeping it a secret like planned..."

why can't you take me?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:44 am
Lola Spencer
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Lola listened intently as Nate described the muggle actor his dog was named after, trying to commit the facts to memory. "I'll definitely try to track down some of his films next time I'm home. Since muggle electronics don't work here, and all..." The fact that she wouldn't get to see Cary Grant in action until winter break at the earliest was slightly disappointing, but Lola was kind of appreciative of the fact that televisions and computers and such didn't functions properly at Hogwarts. Not only did they serve as distractions to her studies, but in social situations, as well; if such devices worked at the wizarding school, many students would constantly have their faces pressed to the computer monitor or TV screen instead of getting to know their peers, especially muggle students who had grown up using such electronics. And quite often, Lola had found, muggle students were simply fascinating people to converse with, as they had such a different background than all of her wizading peers.
As the conversation switched back to the tournament, Lola ensured Nathaniel of his possible success in the tournament. "Definitely! I mean, since it's a new thing that fifth years are able to be picked you'd have some older competition, but I think fifth year still prepares you for loads of different things." Thinking of the fifth year curriculum just made Lola excited about her future years at Hogwarts, a thought which reminded her of her large pile of essays to write. She put the finishing touches on her potions writing before heading over to the table where her stack of supplies was located. "I mean, all I know about is Cheering Charms at the moment... Not something that could help me defeat any kind of beast, or anything," she commented as she picked up her Charms text book and gathered together some new parchment. "Well if you don't decide to enter, we can watch the tournament together. Hopefully Gregory or another Ravenclaw will be picked as the Hogwarts champion, I would love to see the whole school wearing blue and bronze," she laughed.
As Lola headed back to the overstuffed armchair to start on her Charms essay, Nate began to respond to her question about the Yule Ball. "You know, I'm not that great of a dancer either... I'm just excited to get a chance to dress up, and wear something other than the Hogwarts uniform. I've never really been to a formal event before." She settled into her seat, but her mind was taken from the work in front of her as Nate quietly confessed his secret to Lola. She was quite shocked: first at the secret itself, but more surprised at the fact that he felt he was able to confide in Lola. They had just met this morning, and she could tell by the way Nate's voice quieted when he brought up the subject that he really hadn't shared this fact with anyone. She let him continue with his worries about attending, and what the rest of the school would think if they realized his secret.
"Well, I mean... You shouldn't really worry about what the rest of the school thinks." Lola shared this advice even though she didn't followed it 100% herself; she often acted shy in social situations with larger groups of people due to the fear of embarrassing herself in some way or another, so she definitely understood Nate's point of view. However, she also knew that the last thing she should recommend to him was hiding from the student body for the remainder of his time at Hogwarts. Sure, there were some kids who would probably be asses to Nate if they knew about this, but there were plenty more people who would be completely accepting. Such as Lola, for example. She was a big believer in not judging people for their qualities that differed from the majority of the population.
"I'm sure there are other kids in the school afraid of going to the ball for the exact same reason." However, Lola had no idea how in the world Nate would find them: choosing to share one's sexuality with others was obviously a very personal decision that can't be forced out of a person. And she didn't want to instill false hope by reassuring Nate that he would find another guy to go with for that exact reason. She did, however, have an alternate plan. "Well, I don't really have too much luck with guys myself... So if you don't find a date, we can always together or something..." She wasn't sure how Nate wold react to her offer. He didn't seem too thrilled about attending the ball in general, but Lola didn't think that anyone should miss out on such an event for worry of going alone.
"And you've obviously just failed in your plan to keep it a secret by telling me," Lola smiled. "But don't worry, I'm not going to go spreading it around or anything..." As mentioned above, Lola knew that the decision to inform others of secrets they've been keeping to themselves their whole lives took a while to make, and shouldn't be sped up through the pressure of others. Lola was still kind of surprised that Nate had shared his homosexuality with her, but at the same time, felt honored that he felt she could be trusted with his secret.

Spiral Tuboflex
Crew

Feline Worshipper

26,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Elocutionist 200

youLOVEamelia
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:56 pm

User Image
Nathanial was very glad to hear that she would search for some of his films during their winter break. "I'll send you some through the owl post while we're at home if you'd like. I've seen them all so many times I could recite most of them by heart," he admitted with a smile on his face. Lola was probably correct in assuming most students would be on the computer all day had the devices worked at Hogwarts. Nathanial had to fight his father to keep the muggle television set in his room or in the house at all. His aristocratic father wasn't really a fan of muggles or their artifacts, something that Nathanial always detested of him. Regardless, he remained fans of the old muggle films and music.

When back to the tournament, Nate quite agreed with Lola. Gregory was a great candidate for Hogwarts. He was one of the quidditch seekers and everyone seemed to like him. He was one of the few people that ever acknowledged Nathanial's existence, something that was always a bit of a boost to his self esteem, and seemed quite nice to everyone as well as skilled in magic. "Sure, let's watch together. I'm sure whoever the Hogwarts champion is, they'll be great," he said to her. He meant that too. The Goblet of Fire had great powers. What else in this world could ever accurately measure the deserving and skill of all these people? Surely, most of the fifth, sixth and seventh years added their names to it's girth. How could it possibly pick one out of all those students?

At Lola's telling him of his failure to keep his sexuality a secret, he blushed and then laughed a little bit. For some reason, the fact that he'd felt comfortable enough with Lola to tell her his secret didn't scare him so much as he thought it would. He feared this moment for most of his life, wondering what people would think of him. But Lola seemed to accept it. And he was honored by that, as well as her promise not to spread it around. He'd even surprised himself by giving away this awful secret of his, he couldn't imagine if he'd told someone who told everyone else in the school. The terror! Lola was a good choice to bear his secret. "We could definitely go together. I mean, you'll have to deal with my terrible lack of dancing skills. I'm more than positive that I won't find a date. Of course, you definitely could," he mentioned with a smile. Lola was pretty and Lola was nice. She could definitely find a real date.

why can't you take me?

Ravenclaw

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces