Is Snape Truly Evil? *spoiler warning* Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

willowtree
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:57 am
Ok, I know he did the unforgivable, but did he only do it because of the unbreakable vow? Of course, my answer to this is that if he was truly honorable to Dumbledore, he would have chose to die rather than do what he did. Yes, I'm still bitter about that, but who isn't? cry  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Snape isn't evil, it's obvious. Too many clues.  

Grey_Temerity

CuteLittleRin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:26 pm
Snape is evil, he killed Dumbledor, and he picks on Harry.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:40 pm
Snapes not evil twisted  

Volley_chick

Eikothewerewolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:07 am
it can be assumed he did it for the good of malfoy. he didnt try to make malfoy ill dumbledore but just killed him hiself! perhaps to save malfoy from doing something so awful...  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:10 am
I'm taking a guess here that maybe dumbledore wanted him to do it  

DrgnSmurf

IceHogsGoal!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:20 pm
I think that Snape is true evil. It mention's in the fourth book that the Avada Kadavra spell can only be casted if it is ment. So i think that he had no heart, and was able to use the curse.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:00 pm
hotchick740
I think that Snape is true evil. It mention's in the fourth book that the Avada Kadavra spell can only be casted if it is ment. So i think that he had no heart, and was able to use the curse.

but at the same time, if it was truly Dumbledore's wish for Snape to cast the spell than Snape could have been able to do it out of loyalty to Dumbledore.

I just don't know, as much as I despised Snape while I read that scene, things just don't add up. Dumbledore wouldn't want him to die because of the pact he entered into. Snape ordered the other deatheaters not to kill Harry. The darklord wanting Harry alive seemed a flimsy excuse. And why blow his cover in the Order? Dumbledore was weak, one of the others could have probably killed him.

He could be evil but I think there is more to it.  

non642

Umi Celes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:17 pm
I don't think Snape is evil or good. He is more like nuetral compared to the other characters.
I think he lives and acts on his own accord. What i do know is that there is no way he himself killed Dumbledore. In book four we learn that to use an Unforgivable Curse, you must have the will behind it. I do not think he wanted to do it, but inorder to keep his cover, and most likely he had told Dumbledore about the oath-so dear old Dumbledore knew this was going to happen, and just did exactly what Dumbledore told him to do. Snape hasn't finished with his part in this story. JKR said herself Harry will come to learn what is easy is not always right. Well Harry since book 1 has always assumed Snape to be 'evil',but in truth i do not believe he is. True he isn't noble and a hero, but i do not believe he would kill Dumbledore by choice of his own.
Not to mention it is a bit odd that his boggart would revile to much of the plot line (from JKR's website) and that his name is an anagram for "Persues Evans" and now we know why he liked potions so much and spent his entire time at it, Lily liked/was good at it. I think a big confrontation between Snape and Harry will revel this, not to mention-we will be seeing some form of him, Peter is at his house, and i do not think JKR will leave us hanging on whether or not he gets his just desserts. Finnally I believe that the night that Harry got his scar and lost his parents, it was SNAPE who asked Voldemort to spare LILY. I mean we know, exspecially from 6 that he can not comprehend nor has the capacity for love; so why tell Lily she need not die? i mean what does he care, why would it matter to him? Well my guess is that he was asked by his most trusted servent(or at least one of his most trusted servants(ie SNAPE!!)) not to kill Lily. I truely believe Snape loved her. I also believe that when Voldemort warned her and she did not yeild and he killed her anyways- Snape was inragged and wanted revenge against Voldemort- I also think he felt sorry and it was at that point he went to Dumbledore(the man who apparently wants to see the good in everyone) and that my folks would make a lot of sense, and i can't wait to see if I am right!!  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:53 am
Snape's not evil, J.K is always misleading...  

Angilwingz

Basil Musible

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:23 am
I don't think he's stupid enough to still be loyal to Voldemort, think about it. He must obviously realizes that Voldemort does nothing that is not for himself. Snape is a smart guy, there is no way that Voldemort wouldn't kill him if he didn't have use for him anymore which will happen eventually.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:32 am
Umi Celes
Not to mention it is a bit odd that his boggart would revile to much of the plot line (from JKR's website) and that his name is an anagram for "Persues Evans" and now we know why he liked potions so much and spent his entire time at it, Lily liked/was good at it. I think a big confrontation between Snape and Harry will revel this, not to mention-we will be seeing some form of him, Peter is at his house, and i do not think JKR will leave us hanging on whether or not he gets his just desserts. Finnally I believe that the night that Harry got his scar and lost his parents, it was SNAPE who asked Voldemort to spare LILY. I mean we know, exspecially from 6 that he can not comprehend nor has the capacity for love; so why tell Lily she need not die? i mean what does he care, why would it matter to him? Well my guess is that he was asked by his most trusted servent(or at least one of his most trusted servants(ie SNAPE!!)) not to kill Lily. I truely believe Snape loved her. I also believe that when Voldemort warned her and she did not yeild and he killed her anyways- Snape was inragged and wanted revenge against Voldemort- I also think he felt sorry and it was at that point he went to Dumbledore(the man who apparently wants to see the good in everyone) and that my folks would make a lot of sense, and i can't wait to see if I am right!!

I agree with what you said about Snape being more of a neutral character. He acts on what he believes in and not the beliefs of others.
I really hope we see Snape's boggart or get an idea of what his greatest fear is. That would be interesting.

Personally, I don't think he was in love with Lily. In flashbacks, we see that he looked down on her for being muggle born. While he perhaps doesn't agree with Voldemort, I don't think he is overly supportive of muggles.
And I think the anagram is a coincidence, especially since it is spelt "pursue"  

non642

Fenhir Noble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:22 pm
willowtree
Ok, I know he did the unforgivable, but did he only do it because of the unbreakable vow? Of course, my answer to this is that if he was truly honorable to Dumbledore, he would have chose to die rather than do what he did. Yes, I'm still bitter about that, but who isn't? cry

I think he did what he had to do. He made the unbreakable vow for one thing, and it looks like it was part of Dumbledore's plan. All that "please, Severus" stuff, he was trying to get Snape to actually do it. I think Dumbledore has got everthing planed, and Snape plays an important part in his plan. Had he not killed Dumbledore, he would have died himself, and screwing up D's plan.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:54 pm
First let me state for the Record I am a Snape Fan. I find the character interesting and fun to read about.

However I don't like Snape if he was a real person I'd think he was scum and go out of my way to avoid him or someone like him. Do I understand why Snape is the way he is. Sure however understanding doens't mean I excuse it.

Snape had a horrible Childhood with bullies and an implied horrible home life. I personally understand what being horribly bullied can do to a person. However his bad life is no excuse for how he has acted to his students and other people.

So Far as I'm concerned Snape has allways been a bad person. Until Halfblood Prince. I always considered Snape the Doloris Umbridge of the Order of the PHoenix. An Example of a Bad person working for the good side. Just as how Doloris is a horrible person yet not a Deatheater. Not working for Voldemort.

After Halfblood Prince I've come to see Snape as someone only looking out for himself. It is my personal belief he planned to be on the winning side in the war. After all Half Blood Prince picks up shortly after the Fight at the Ministry. I believe Snape began to believe Voldemort would definatley win after he saw what the fight with Voldemort took out of Dumbledor. I also believe when Dumbledor showed up injured and badly in need of help that Snape was fully convinced. It's why he had no problem making the Unbreakable vow and later killing Dumbledor.

I could acutally see him switching back to the good side if it ever looked like Voldemort would loose.

I know a popular fan theroy is that Dumbledor arranged his own death but that doesn't sit right with me. I can't see Dumbledor killing himself without arranging some way to let Harry know it was for the best.

I also don't buy Dumbledor's death giving him any new protection as some fans have theorized since if his mothers ends when he becomes a man why wouldn't Dumbledor's.

I also have problems with it because Dumbledor's death makes it harder for Harry to survive. It effectively leaves Harry without any Guardians who can stand up to Voldemort. And makes it all the harder for Harry to track down the all important pieces of Voldemort's soul.

I just find Dumbledor too unprepared for it to have really been his idea for Snape to kill him.  

DaxCordite

Phantom_Moonhawk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:41 pm
This is just a guess, but I think snape might be like a double agent... Working against both sides so that he can get waht's best for him, whether that be power, money, or whatever else he feels like having. I'm going to be honest- I hate Snape, but how he turns out in the end is anyone's guess. I believe that he will have a major part to play, but I don't know what that will be. (Kind of like Gollum)  
The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff