Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
When have you used walkthroughs/cheats? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Undine Mystic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:53 pm
When have you used a walkthrough? And I'm not talking about those times you use one to workout what sidequests you missed, or what bonuses there are. I talking when you are playing nicely through a game and you come upon a situation where you simply cannot pass.

I usually find myself using walkthroughs when I come up to a boss which is invincible except for one weak point. I seem to have great difficulty in finding boss's weak points!

I almost always use a walkthrough when I am trying to get 100% in a game, I use it to see what sidequests are available.

The only time I will ever use cheats is when they are fun cheats like the flying car cheat in GTA San Andreas, and even then I will not save my game. I think cheating ruins the satisfaction of completing a game. I will also use a cheat if I already hate the game and I just want to get it over and done with, though that is rare!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:05 pm
I never use cheats unless the game sucks in general (nothing that I own) or if I've already beaten it - or if it's a fighting game I might use a cheat to unlock all characters for my friends

Ok, technically I've cheated in pokemon after completely beating it by using a pokesav to get new pokemon faster for competitive play (this is done commonly by the top players)

Also if I use a walkthrough it's only for a stupid puzzle or if it's not obvious where to go.  

nitnit
Captain

Kirei_chan

O.G. Codger

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:40 pm
eh he, I've gotten stuck in every zelda game i've played... sweatdrop I used one a couple of times the first time I played OoT and used it exclusively the second time I played through. I was supposed to get a guide for phantom hourglass for renewing my subscription to nintendo power but they "ran out" rolleyes they sent me a posterzine instead
other than that, not really. I got pretty stuck in mario and luigi superstar saga and used one for a particular spot, but that's about it.

On a related note, I used my friend's action replay to get 999 rare candies in pokemon diamond so I could beef up my party before the elite 4 but now it's no fun... crying  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:23 pm
I never use cheats,and I'll rarely use walkthroughs unless it's an rpg and I need to find out about side quests and stuff.  

Dark_Dragon_Bagera

Korean Kracker II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:06 pm
I only use cheats after I beat the game
walkthroughs? there is no such thing  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:19 am
Korean Kracker II
I only use cheats after I beat the game
walkthroughs? there is no such thing

You've obviously never tried to unlock everything in a Final Fantasy game....  

Undine Mystic

H Falcon

4,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:39 am
I use online guides for help when I am

1) Really stuck in an area. Like trying to figure out how to get past something for hours and having no luck at all. If I can save my game I might try again later without using a guide, but if it is a game and I can't save and I need to get past that area (or have to do the whole thing again) I will look sooner.

2) If I am looking for items to get 100%. Like the flags in Assassins Creed. I use a guide to look for the rest I didn't find etc.

There might be other reasons too. (Looking up how to do a move in a fighthing game or unlock a character etc) but usually those are the main reasons I'll use a online guide.

As for cheats I rarely use them in the newer games. Back in the past on Nes/SNES and the like I used them more often to get extra lives. I prefered codes that let you have more chances compared to codes that just made you invincible or level selected. That way even if I was using a cheat I still had to play the game on my own. Still had to pass it. It just gave me more chances is all. In new games I rarely use cheats now unless I've beat the game and it's just for fun.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:38 am
I use walkthroughs often. Both for finding lost treasures I didn't see before, and for completing various side missions.

Cheats? I don't really use cheats that much, 'cause i'm afraid they might screw up my game. The only cheat I've ever really used is the copy pokemon cheat for gold and silver, before my gold version got screwed up...(Damn bubbles crying ...) The only cheats I really use are in-game cheats, like in the Ratchet and Clank series, in which you have to unlock them through various means.  

Xashowd

Ferocious Warrior

31,475 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Master Slayer 200

erratic animosity

Pawn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:41 am
I use them when I am having trouble gettting through an area, or if I'm stuck on a puzzle, for the most part.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:51 am
i use walkthroughs, i never use cheats  

Magonarka-2

Shigeru the Hero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:52 am
I remember when I cheated on Gran Turismo and completely ruined the game for myself.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:00 am
The only cheats I ever use are just minor ones, like in Golden Sun where you can name all of the main characters instead of just Isaac/Felix (still remember it, too).

As for walkthroughs, I only refer to them if I'm on my last nerve trying to get through the story, or if I just want to know where to find any collectibles.  

JunkKirby

ravemaster47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:51 pm
NinjaKirby22
The only cheats I ever use are just minor ones, like in Golden Sun where you can name all of the main characters instead of just Isaac/Felix (still remember it, too).

As for walkthroughs, I only refer to them if I'm on my last nerve trying to get through the story, or if I just want to know where to find any collectibles.

that's not really a cheat.it's actually in the manual.(i think...i have took at that at home) it's really just more of a hint. golden sun was fun though. i still have yet to get all the djinni  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:11 pm
ravemaster47
that's not really a cheat.it's actually in the manual.(i think...i have took at that at home) it's really just more of a hint. golden sun was fun though. i still have yet to get all the djinni

Yeah, I never got all of the djinni either. Probably part of why it took me nine hours to beat the final boss... xp  

JunkKirby

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:12 pm
The battle went on for 9 hours?  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items