Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
So, she was begging for gold but I never found out for what. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well, don't you want to donate a thousand to the poor girl.
  Well, she did say "plz"...
  Have you thought that perahps you were a bit harsh on her?
  I am all for donating a spell checker and grammar book to her.
View Results

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:23 am
So, I was randomly doing a quiz in the chatterbox: there is always a fun group of people there when it comes to grammar. rolleyes Anyhow, I get this pm, out of the blue. The discussion goes as follows:

Totally Taylor: hey im sorry to ask u but can u plz doante me 1,500 or 1,000 plz but if u dont wan to well ill sure colu respect that okay

mc2:
okay, that was random... and why should I donate over a grand of gold to you?
P.S. I'm more receptive to well written requests for gold and a more detailed and imaginative approach to begging. (Not that I fault begging for gold, it is just I believe a sense of decorum to it is nice)

Totally Taylor: yeah i expected that

mc2: you expected me to point out your grammatical errors and ambiguous requesting, or are you saying that you totally expecting me to completely refuse to donate? I'm curious, not being catty, I assure you.

TT: Hey I only have 3 words for you y well i could swear that you are a b***h ohhh and i forgot to say my 3 words GO TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!! okay well bye now rofl

mc2: ouch... I really think that I'm going to go sob in my room now. -rolls eyes- No, I have a pet peeve (and that is typing that is nearly impossible to read). And, fyi I don't donate to people who demand a set number for donation. Flexibility is a common thing to have and it is nice to know what gold I donate would go to.
Anyhow, I wish you a good evening (as it is that time where I am at least...), regardless of whatever mis-communications have occurred between us.

TT: u know what end og conversesation

In hindsight, as it is twenty-twenty, I realize I made a few of my own grammatical errors and was guilty of one "txt tlk" abbreviation; however, I still die slowly when I reread this exchange. What gets me it the "og" isn't that supposed to be "of." Well, anyhow, I do think I would have been a bit more receptive (regardless of the fact that I really don't have that much gold to my own name) if she would have said what it was she wanted gold for.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:55 am
Wow... I've never had a random person start asking me for a donation (maybe because I look cheap :/ ) but if she had spoken to me, I would have killed her on the spot. ._.

I'm quite amazed though on how she didn't answer your question. And instead called you a *****, and had said that there were "only" three words for you, when in fact she said more that that. (She said 24 words to you, if I counted correctly; starting from the word "well".)

And lest me be quite a finger-pointer sweatdrop , but the "txt tlk" you used was FYI, right? I consider that to be non-"txt tlk", because that can be said in real life (and most would get the meaning of it.) I however, do not believe that "rofl", "lol", or most other "txt tlk" abbreviations would be considerable.  

Swell Sundae

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:50 pm
Yeah, the "txt tlk" I'm referring to is fyi. I'm glad that you at least don't think "fyi" is "txt tlk," because I do use that in real life, too.

It wasn't like I looked that rich: all I had was my whip, then. Anyhow, your avatar looks cool, regardless of costs: when I look at avatars I look at design over costs.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:20 pm
I have had someone just say "can I hav 600 gold plz?" and then, the same person put "can I hav 1k plz?" If I didn't reply the first, you'd think she'd get not to pm me again.  

Honeydukes Lover

Swell Sundae

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:18 pm
mc2
Yeah, the "txt tlk" I'm referring to is fyi. I'm glad that you at least don't think "fyi" is "txt tlk," because I do use that in real life, too.

It wasn't like I looked that rich: all I had was my whip, then. Anyhow, your avatar looks cool, regardless of costs: when I look at avatars I look at design over costs.

Thank you for the compliment about my avatar. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:19 pm
Bouncing Pigtails
I have had someone just say "can I hav 600 gold plz?" and then, the same person put "can I hav 1k plz?" If I didn't reply the first, you'd think she'd get not to pm me again.
That was annoying, wasn't it? :/ Luckily no noobie/newbie has begged from me as of yet.  

Swell Sundae

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:49 pm
The Evil Lord Sunday
Bouncing Pigtails
That was annoying, wasn't it? :/ Luckily no noobie/newbie has begged from me as of yet.
Keep your fingers crossed, I managed to avoid it for so long till that one pm. -sigh- There goes my record.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:49 pm
mc2
The Evil Lord Sunday
Bouncing Pigtails
Keep your fingers crossed, I managed to avoid it for so long till that one pm. -sigh- There goes my record.
The chance of a beggar to PM me is pretty much zero for me, since I never seem to go into the Chatterbox as much. neutral I practically live off of the Lifestyle Discussion forum! xd

And strangely, it's usually the really nice profilers or somewhat rich-looking avatars that get asked to donate, as it seems; according to the comments in profiles that I see.  

Swell Sundae

Swell Sundae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:01 pm
Whoa... I stand corrected on having others ask for donations o_O

However, this is pretty great, because this one DIDN'T talk in chatspeak! I now have regained in health to my hair that there are, after all, "newbies" who don't use chatspeak!

Here's the screenshot of the PM I got.

Screenshot of the message.

I wish I could have donated to her though... but I'm quite too busy helping a friend obtain a Kiki Kitty Plushie! D:  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:22 pm
The Evil Lord Sunday

However, this is pretty great, because this one DIDN'T talk in chatspeak! I now have regained in health to my hair that there are, after all, "newbies" who don't use chatspeak!

I wish I could have donated to her though... but I'm quite too busy helping a friend obtain a Kiki Kitty Plushie! D:

Oh my God! Wow, I am so envious. I totally want to hunt this girl down now and donate to her. Why do you get the literate beggars?! -sobs- I remember my "newbie" days and I remember that I worked so hard on my begging in donating threads and what not. I remember one thread where I wrote some paragraph long story... perhaps that is why I'm so "mean" to those who ask me to donate to them: they don't ask properly. Ah, I feel kind I think I'll go donate to the poor girl. In other news, note her user name, it is "ReadingGirl13," perhaps that is an indicator of her literacy.  

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Swell Sundae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:55 pm
mc2
The Evil Lord Sunday

Oh my God! Wow, I am so envious. I totally want to hunt this girl down now and donate to her. Why do you get the literate beggars?! -sobs- I remember my "newbie" days and I remember that I worked so hard on my begging in donating threads and what not. I remember one thread where I wrote some paragraph long story... perhaps that is why I'm so "mean" to those who ask me to donate to them: they don't ask properly. Ah, I feel kind I think I'll go donate to the poor girl. In other news, note her user name, it is "ReadingGirl13," perhaps that is an indicator of her literacy.

That is possibly quite true (her username being an indicator of literacy. And probably is.)

I'm quite happy knowing that there are non-chatspeak "newbies" around by now. ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:59 pm
She probably wasn't a newbie, judging by the formality of her post. She was probably a member who had a goal that she has trouble reaching.  

Psychotic Daizy Dukes

O.G. Gekko

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:12 am
Nina Orusa
She probably wasn't a newbie, judging by the formality of her post. She was probably a member who had a goal that she has trouble reaching.
She actually says that she is pretty new here in her profile. -shrug- Yeah, I did hunt her down and donate. I'm not completely evil and stingy. I am just stingy about those who can't properly request a donation. After all, not all "newbies" cannot use proper English. I'm sure all of us back in our "newbie" days on Gaia used proper English.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:38 am
No one has really asked for my help, except for close friends who know me in real life and ask nicely.

Then again, I am bound to give random things to people I see need them.

In any case...

O.o <--- my reaction to your post.  

Patron with a Mission

Natsuri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 am
The Evil Lord Sunday

Oh, finally, a quester that needs help and DOESN'T speak all text-talk! xd She is most worthy of a generous donation for that!  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff