Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"okay" "O.K" or "ok" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alright, how do you answer in the affirmative?
  okay
  ok
  o.k.
  OK
  O.K.
View Results

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:40 pm
Just out of curiosity what do you use? Really, is "ok" an abbreviation acceptable to use instead of "okay"? I don't know: the whole "ok" or "O.K." for "okay" has bugged me since I was like eight and learned about the difference. I know personally, I use "okay" but it seems to be an almost archaic spelling for the word, as I rarely if ever see the word spelled out completely, even in literature.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:30 pm
User Image "If this world seeks my destruction,

I usually spell it out... it's just that when I see "OK," I think of the sound "oak" or "okh." OK is generally a correct spelling (Firefox seems to be fine with it XD), so it's just a matter of preference.

It goes with me."
User Image  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Dark Amnesty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:39 pm
I spell it out. because I hate it when published authors use "OK" or "O.K." instead of "okay." It makes them sound very childish.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:38 pm
gsora358
I spell it out. because I hate it when published authors use "OK" or "O.K." instead of "okay." It makes them sound very childish.

Okay, I'm glad that I am not the only one who goes completely bonkers over that. I always thought that "OK" or "O.K." is not only very immature to use in writing but also very ugly. I just wonder when and how did "OK" or "O.K." ever become acceptable to use.  

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Swell Sundae

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:17 pm
Generally, I will often write out "okay", but when saying or hearing it, just the first two letters of it come to my mind. sweatdrop Not sure how or why, but that's just how my brain works, I guess. neutral  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:50 am
I guess that makes sense because that is all you hear. I know because of my accent (and the accents I've grown up around) the "kay" tends to be drawn out a bit, so I can never picture it as a short "ok." Of course, "ok" bugs me so much that I only think of it as "okay." It is sort of like the fact that when I think of the word gray I picture it spelled as "gray" always instead of "grey." -shrug- "Okay" is a funny word, in the fact that it does have so many varied spellings and the abbreviation is considered normal anymore, while writing out "okay" is considered odd by the general populous.  

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:30 am
I honestly find it weird to type anything other than "okay". One of my friends does "ok" and I think to myself, "Isn't there something wrong with that?"

I suppose as those above me have said, it's a matter of preference.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:02 am
I type it as "okay".
"Okay" is more onto formality then "ok" is.
But "okay" is informal already.
I wonder, what does "O.K" stands for?

Fintastic

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:57 am
Fintastic
I type it as "okay".
"Okay" is more onto formality then "ok" is.
But "okay" is informal already.
I wonder, what does "O.K" stands for?

I really don't know but I've seen "okay" typed out as "O.K." and "o.k." before which confuses me because you are using just as many keys as typing out "okay"  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:35 pm
mc2
gsora358

Okay, I'm glad that I am not the only one who goes completely bonkers over that. I always thought that "OK" or "O.K." is not only very immature to use in writing but also very ugly. I just wonder when and how did "OK" or "O.K." ever become acceptable to use.
I always use OK, but only because my web browser wants to kick my a** and eat it for breakfast if I use 'Okay', which it seems to think is incorrect spelling. XD  

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:58 am
clara33
mc2
gsora358

I always use OK, but only because my web browser wants to kick my a** and eat it for breakfast if I use 'Okay', which it seems to think is incorrect spelling. XD
I ignore spell check when I know I'm right and it is wrong. Firefox seems to think "okay" is alright, though. Hmm...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:06 pm
Firefox tried to tell me "okay" wasn't a word! Ah, I thought I added it to the dictionary, but it's doing it again, and telling me it should say "Tokay" instead. I don't even know what that is. Ok is no go either, and I think the only reason it accepts OK is because of Oklahoma. But yeah. I always use okay because ok bothers me for some reason...I feel like I should be reading it "awk" somehow...maybe I'm just insane.

I'm a little sad that it accepts "foodie" as a legitimate word and not "okay." I never liked that term. sad  

Quatrina

Triste

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:15 am
"Okay" unless sms-ing someone.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:34 pm
mc2
clara33
mc2
gsora358

I ignore spell check when I know I'm right and it is wrong. Firefox seems to think "okay" is alright, though. Hmm...
I only ignore it when I'm RPing as characters with exotic and outlandish names which it doesn't seem to like. I mean, seriously, these are awesome names, and should be added to the dictionary. (For those who really want to know, the names I usually have to ignore are 'Elyon', 'Atamia', 'Ryu', and 'Nanasawa'. Seriously, Firefox, those are totally OK names!)  

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

SuperDuperRockLee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:11 pm
I always use "okay", though I have seen a lot of people use "O.K.", which does make sense. Sort of, at least.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff