Internet Religion Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:29 pm
In the midst of an entertaining conversation with a friend, he provided me with the following link on Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, which is a Christian off shoot with, shall we say, questionable beliefs. My first reaction is likely the same as the one many of you will have: I read a bit, thought that these people can't be serious, then laughed hysterically because they are and are clearly crazy.

But then I thought about it for a moment. The internet is vast, and the sites dedicated to religion are beyond count. How many other sites like this are out there, or worse, how many sites are out there with far out ideas that seem far more credible?

The first place most people (I don't think it's limited to the young any more) begin the search for a new religion is the internet. How many people find sites like this? Thinking back now, I wonder how I ever managed to become a reasonably well educated Wiccan from just random internet searches, and it calls in to question again the credibility of some sources.

If Christianity has such crazy off shoots, what does Paganism have?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:42 pm
We have Fluffy Bunny Pagans, of course. xd

Seriously- I've seen a few sites that actually proudly proclaim that they are "Fluffy Bunnies". Other than that, the random mixes of any faith with Wicca without rhyme or reason dot the landscape.

There's supposed to be alien-cults, like the Heaven's Gate, out there, too. However, the scariest sites tend to be 'proclaimed' Christian.

On the Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, I think that was actually created out of the Intelligent Design debate on the for side (if I recall correctly).  

Jameta
Captain

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:14 am
Modern Paganism is an incredibly broad term, though, keep in mind. There are also many personal belief systems out there whose practitioners do not call Pagan but could easily be labeled as such. I noticed a kid in M&R just yesterday who said he had polytheistic and animistic beliefs, yet didn't call himself Neopagan. Within modern Paganism there is so much ecclectisism, pretty much everybody has personalized system elements. Some of them any given individual might find stranger than others.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:44 pm
...This is great. I'm thinking of converting. Or making the great spaghti one of my patron deities.

Or not, as Thoth just made a large sound of disgust. Still amusing though  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:00 pm
It's a parody, not a serious religion.^_^ It was created to poke fun at people who insist that creationism should be taught alongside evolution in schools. It was put up on the internet and several people are running with the joke.

But on the subject of internet sites as sources, I agree that it can be a very touchy subject. The problem with internet sites is that you have to already be very well versed in the religion in order to tell the bunk sites from the ones which are solid. So they're less for people who are getting started, and more for people who are looking to explore the more subtle nuances of personal experience. The main reason I look to internet sites is to find those personal experiences within a given religion. The tenets of the religion should have already been found through more controlled sources (academic publishers, for instance, museum lectures, etc.)- then you'll know, when a person claims to practice in a certain way, whether they're giving a genuine experience of that particular religion, or whether they've wandered off the field.

Paganism definitely has its fair share of people who have wandered off the field, so yeah- it's amazing that you fared so well. I guess it just proves you have exceptional common sense.^_~  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:48 pm
Common sense? Probably. But Witchiness also runs in the family, as I discovered in later years, so maybe it's a sort of family memory thing. But, that's getting off topic.

It's interesting to know that FSM was created as a spoof, but the disturbing thing is that it seems possible and plausable. It's not surprising to think that there are people out there following this path, or one like it.

When I started researching, I think I stumbled blindly upon a couple of really good websites and rings, and went from there. Things that were repeated I assumed had to have something backing them, and when I fianlly found the resources in print I needed I had something to use as a comparison. But even some of the print material has to be treated with a healthy sense of skepticism, as well as some lectures. Nothing's really safe, but most of it does tend to set a stage or build a framework.

The diversity of most NeoPagan groups, especially Wicca, I think is possibly the biggest detriment to these groups being given a great deal of formal recognition, primarily because of the... eccentric nature of some very public individuals and groups. Not that there's anything wrong with personal expression within religion, but is there a line drawn in the sand anywhere?

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:59 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
...This is great. I'm thinking of converting. Or making the great spaghti one of my patron deities.

Or not, as Thoth just made a large sound of disgust. Still amusing though
Dude, Thoth could just eat the Flying Spaghetti Monster. neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:11 pm
Gypsy Blue
It's interesting to know that FSM was created as a spoof, but the disturbing thing is that it seems possible and plausable. It's not surprising to think that there are people out there following this path, or one like it.
Like Cthulu? (I'm really in the dark over whether or not there are actual people following this, or if everyone is being sarcastic.)
Quote:
The diversity of most NeoPagan groups, especially Wicca, I think is possibly the biggest detriment to these groups being given a great deal of formal recognition, primarily because of the... eccentric nature of some very public individuals and groups. Not that there's anything wrong with personal expression within religion, but is there a line drawn in the sand anywhere?
According to case law, it depends on the group and situation. Example: there is a religious group/cult in the south that sacrifices chickens (I think by slashing their throats and letting the blood out, but I'm not positive), and when brought to court (probably by animal rights activits), the judicial system upheld that they could continue the practice because it was part of their faith. However, when a group of Rajas(sp?) brought up the point that smoking marijuana was part of their faith, they were struck down (I'm not sure what the reasoning behind the ruling was).

Does anyone know the ruling on that hallucinagenic(sp?) tea case? I think it ruled in favor of the religious group. confused  

Jameta
Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:56 pm
Gypsy Blue

That the world was created by- and is now presided over by- a plate of flying spaghetti seems possible and plausable?^_^'

Jameta
(I'm really in the dark over whether or not there are actual people following this, or if everyone is being sarcastic.)

No one's actually practicing the religion- there are T-shirts available, and a few people are giving FSM testimonials, but I suspect that their "witnessing" is about as serious as an article in The Onion. It's a joke- one which seems to be seriously amusing some folks.^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:34 pm
WebenBanu
Jameta
(I'm really in the dark over whether or not there are actual people following this, or if everyone is being sarcastic.)

No one's actually practicing the religion- there are T-shirts available, and a few people are giving FSM testimonials, but I suspect that their "witnessing" is about as serious as an article in The Onion. It's a joke- one which seems to be seriously amusing some folks.^_^
I meant the Cthulu thing. I know no one's seriously following FSM... at least, that's what we think. ninja  

Jameta
Captain

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:20 pm
It also says on the Wikipedia site that the FSM'ism is a satirical invention...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:40 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
It also says on the Wikipedia site that the FSM'ism is a satirical invention...
And it has picutres! blaugh

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Jameta
Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:43 pm
Sorry about stretching the page, BTW. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:54 pm
Hey, I found another satire: Invisible Pink Unicorn. I'm surprised any of the Aetheists on Gaia haven't used this one.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The only problem with this statement is to people with mixed senses, pink feels/tastes/smells/sounds like something, not just looks a certain way. This might also be applied to figures of faith. 3nodding  

Jameta
Captain

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:22 am
WebenBanu
That the world was created by- and is now presided over by- a plate of flying spaghetti seems possible and plausable?^_^'

After studying UFO groups in one of my religion classes, the spaghetti thing honestly isn't as surprising as it probably should be. blaugh Different nut, but from the same tree if you get what I mean.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff