What do you think?
  Browning Buck Mark .22
  Bersa Thunder .380
  Used hi-cap 9mm
  Used Smith .38/.357
View Results

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:12 pm
Do you all know about Camellia, my .40 Beretta? Well although I do love her, she was never really what I wanted. I never wanted a .40. And there's a person where my dad works that's interested in her and would probably pay about as much as I did for her--$300. My dad might be able to get $325 or $350 or something, but I'm thinking $300. So.. what should I get with that money? I've got it down to four choices.

A used hi-cap 9mm (Beretta 92, Hi-Power, if I could find those cheap enough)

A used Smith .38 or .357 revolver.

A new Browning Buck Mark .22 pistol.

Or a new Bersa Thunder .380.

The Bersa is probably the least likely. I wouldn't have much use for it. I just think they're neat and I like small guns and it's cheap. The used Smith or 9mm would be kind of lofty because I would just be waiting on chance to find one at a gun store or something, but I would prefer one of those to the other two. The Borwning sounds good because ammo's cheap and I think they're neat. But it is a .22, so...

Any other suggestions are okay, too.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:53 pm
I must say, I love my mom's Buckmark dearly, but it does tend to not let the powder burn fully before ejecting, which results in a fleck of burning powder on the hand every so often, but other than that it's a dream. I don't have any shooting experience with the others, though.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:20 pm
Fresnel
I must say, I love my mom's Buckmark dearly, but it does tend to not let the powder burn fully before ejecting, which results in a fleck of burning powder on the hand every so often, but other than that it's a dream. I don't have any shooting experience with the others, though.

Yeah, I'd heard nothing but good things about the Buck Mark. And it looks good and is cheap even new.

I've got to say I'm going to miss Camellia, though. I like the power in those .40 rounds...

I don't know if I want to go down to a .22 when it's my only pistol. Not like I hardly used Camellia, but it's just the principle of the thing. And I plan to get more as soon as possible...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:25 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

Yeah, I'd heard nothing but good things about the Buck Mark. And it looks good and is cheap even new.

I've got to say I'm going to miss Camellia, though. I like the power in those .40 rounds...

I don't know if I want to go down to a .22 when it's my only pistol. Not like I hardly used Camellia, but it's just the principle of the thing. And I plan to get more as soon as possible...
A valid concern for sure. It's fun for plinking, but I wouldn't want to be chasing off a home invader with it.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:32 am
What about the used S&W .357 magnum?
With .38s you can get the semi-plinking factor and with the .357 you can easily blow away an intruder.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:50 am
For around $100 more than the Thunder .380, I would get the Thunder .45ACP from Bersa.

If money is that tight, I would find a used 3" S&W revolver in .38 Special/.357 Magnum.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:57 pm
Thanks for your input, guys, keep suggesting.

It's also an option for me to just hold onto the money and add to it (if I ever manage to find a job) and get something else. A new hi-cap 9mm (XD-9) or .357 (GP-100).

But that would involve waiting. And either of those guns I would end up getting even if I bought something with Camellia's.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:07 pm
you could just go with an XD in .357sig. However, I'm not sure how the .357sig's ballistics are.  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:16 pm
Freak_090
you could just go with an XD in .357sig. However, I'm not sure how the .357sig's ballistics are.

^.^

3nodding
Amazing.

(.357 SIG)
Bullet weight/type................Velocity................Energy
115 gr (7.5 g) JHP......1,550 ft/s (470 m/s)....614 ft·lbf (832 J)
125 gr (8.1 g) JHP......1,450 ft/s (440 m/s)....584 ft·lbf (792 J)
147 gr (9.5 g) JHP......1,250 ft/s (380 m/s)....510 ft·lbf (690 J)

(9x19)
7.5 g (116 gr) FMJ......360 m/s (1,200 ft/s)...483 J (356 ft·lbf)
8.0 g (123 gr) FMJ......350 m/s (1,100 ft/s)...494 J (364 ft·lbf)
9.5 g (147 gr) FMJ......300 m/s (980 ft/s)......442 J (326 ft·lbf)

(.357 Magnum)
130 gr (8.4 g) JHP......1,410 ft/s (430 m/s)...574 ft·lbf (778 J)
158 gr (10.2 g) JSP....1,240 ft/s (380 m/s)...539 ft·lbf (731 J)
180 gr (12 g) Lead.....1,060 ft/s (320 m/s)...449 ft·lbf (609 J)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

But in my opinion. I'd save the money and purchase a Sig 226 in .357 SIG.
sweatdrop
The Springfield XD would be fine though... I think.
Have Springfields kBed?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:30 pm
OberFeldwebel

sweatdrop
The Springfield XD would be fine though... I think.
Have Springfields kBed?

Only when using reloads, and even then, it held up well. But, it's not really decent argument seeing as how no gun is exempt from reload kB!s.

Everyone loves them. Seriously, look at any forum that has a topic about XDs and you will see people who love them so much that they are thinking about, or did, swap their Glock for an XD as a CCW.  

Freak_090
Captain

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:57 pm
I'm not into .357 SIG. The way I see it the extra performance isn't enough to merit how expensive it is, because it's not that much better than other things.

Or maybe it is and I just don't want it. No particular reason--it's just like me and SIGs or CZs. I have no opinion on them.

EDIT: As for the XD, the reasons I want it are pretty aesthetic. The Glock is ugly to me. And I've held an XD-9. Feels way better in my hand than the plastic brick that is Glock. Almost as good as the Five-seveN, which is probably the best-feeling auto I've held. Although 1911 and Beretta frames feel very good in my hand as well. I'm begining to think I have the hand type all these companies model their guns on.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:13 pm
ArmasTermin
I'm not into .357 SIG. The way I see it the extra performance isn't enough to merit how expensive it is, because it's not that much better than other things.

Or maybe it is and I just don't want it. No particular reason--it's just like me and SIGs or CZs. I have no opinion on them.

EDIT: As for the XD, the reasons I want it are pretty aesthetic. The Glock is ugly to me. And I've held an XD-9. Feels way better in my hand than the plastic brick that is Glock. Almost as good as the Five-seveN, which is probably the best-feeling auto I've held. Although 1911 and Beretta frames feel very good in my hand as well. I'm begining to think I have the hand type all these companies model their guns on.

Most companies now days tend to use the 1911's grip angle which has been shown to be more comfortable for the vast majority of shooters. That's actually a main reason why lots of people are switching from Glocks to XDs.  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:49 am
Freak_090
Only when using reloads, and even then, it held up well. But, it's not really decent argument seeing as how no gun is exempt from reload kB!s.
Every time I see one of these stories about a kB! it makes me want to buy kevlar shooting gloves.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:37 am
ArmasTermin

Well, for plinking it isn't all that great. But for performance in comparison to it's size it's pretty damn good.

Fresnel;
Yeah, Kevlar gloves would be great if you have a Glock.  

OberFeldwebel

Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces