Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Classic - Old - Independent Movies
Stephen King's The Shining '80 and '97 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Contra Mundi
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:55 am
"Jack Torrance becomes the caretaker of the Overlook Hotel up in the secluded mountains of Colorado. Jack, being a family man, takes his wife and son to the hotel to keep him company throughout the long and isolated nights. During their stay strange things occur when Jack's son Danny sees gruesome images powered by a force called "The Shining" and Jack is heavily affected by this. Along with writer's block and the demons of the hotel haunting him Jack has a complete mental breakdown and the situation takes a sinister turn for the worse."

'80 IMDB link

'97 Mini-series IMDB link

I'm currently watching the '97 mini-series for the first time since I was a child and I must admit, it's every bit as scary as I remember it to be. This is the only movie besides from It (By King as well) that's ever been able to "scare" me. You're constantly at the edge of your seat, expecting something insanely scary to jump out and scary you half to death. Combine that with the awesome use of shock effects, well, there's never a dull moment.

And I admit, it's also been a while since I've seen the '80's version which is why I'm watching it after I'm done with the series, but as I recall, it's equally awesome and Jack Nicholson, well, I don't think it's any secret that he does "insane" really, really well.

If you can find these little nuggets, I highly recommend 'em for a stormy night. I assure you, you'll jump at every noise for a while afterwards. - It's awesome. : P

Anybody else seen it? Thought's? Opinions? Did the '97 version do the 80's version justice in your opinion?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:20 pm
ummm ok well i love the shining i watched it 1st when i was a little girl lol. the twins freaked me out the most of all.  

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

Gwion Vaughn

Shameless Man-Lover

38,550 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:46 am
I admit, I've only seen the original.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:25 am
the other one was ok but not as good because i love the whole maze thing!!!
I did like the Hedge Animals though burning_eyes  

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

kt_tashee_xoxo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:06 pm
The movie was really good, but I wish they would have found someone else to play the wife.!!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:13 am
I had no problem with the actors !!!!! Jack Nicholson is a great Nutter PHYSCO he was Great and the wife i liked her because she was olive oil on POPeye Movie lol I use to love it  

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

Ursaula

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:20 pm
devilsmokinangel
ummm ok well i love the shining i watched it 1st when i was a little girl lol. the twins freaked me out the most of all.

I totally agree, lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:20 pm
devilsmokinangel
I had no problem with the actors !!!!! Jack Nicholson is a great Nutter PHYSCO he was Great and the wife i liked her because she was olive oil on POPeye Movie lol I use to love it

lol biggrin  

Ursaula

Ursaula

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:22 pm
kt_tashee_xoxo
The movie was really good, but I wish they would have found someone else to play the wife.!!!!

The wife was ok  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:23 pm
devilsmokinangel

Yeah lol agreed smile  

Ursaula

Ursaula

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:24 pm
Gwion Vaughn
I admit, I've only seen the original.

Really!?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:27 pm
Ursaula
devilsmokinangel

Yeah lol agreed smile

u seem to to nothing but agreee and quote?????  

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

Contra Mundi
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:49 pm
Crew Message:

I agree, those replies could've been done in one post and based on the shortness of each reply, this is more like spam than anything else.

Please stop spamming. - Thank you.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:15 pm
So Contra Have u finsihed the mini seriers?? yet  

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

Contra Mundi
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:42 pm
Sorry for the late reply. Been a little busy lately, but yes, I finished it quite a while ago, before my last reply actually.

But it was sweet, the kid was a little "eh" at times, but that's to be expected and most of the time he pulled it off nicely. All in all, a very awesome mini-series that kept me "on edge" through the entire time.

And considering the person saying that, that's a pretty big compliment.  
Classic - Old - Independent Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff