Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Games you have gambled on Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Undine Mystic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:29 pm
Have you ever bought a game without knowing what it is about, other than reading the back cover, and it was worth it?

The only one I can remember was the game The Suffering, and that turned out pretty good.

Most of the time I read reviews, previews and play demos, though I mostly use reviews for new games and previews for franchises I am already familiar with.

I have received sucky games as gifts, but rarely have bought them (except for Devil May Cry 2, I want my money back) so wondering in to a store and randomly picking a game is not something I do often.

What do you guys do?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:34 pm
I bought DBZ tenkaichi 3 for Wii the other day on a complete whim since it was only $18 used, and I was a fan of the budokai series. Luckily it turns out that T3 was by far the best in the series in terms of gameplay, and it has been pretty good so far.  

nitnit
Captain

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:36 pm
Nowadays I actually research games before buying, but every so often I'll buy what looks cool. basically this happens when I go to the game store, when I hadn't been planning to do so. I bought Dot Hack GU without researching, and despite the repetetiveness of it, i liked it a lot and bought all subsequent sequels.

Now that you mention it....i buy games a lot without thinking, but I have usually heard "hey, I played *insert game title* and really liked it!" which leads to me trying it. I bought the game two worlds because an internet review said it was Oblivion on steroids. It turns out that no, it was actually just a cheaply made rip off of Oblivion, so sometimes research doesn't do much for you either....XD The only way to truly test a game is to rent the damn thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:21 pm
Boktai Series. I heard the battle system was really unique. The whole Solar Sensor just lured me in.  

MaverickX516

O.G. Entrepreneur

7,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Dark_Dragon_Bagera

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:51 pm
I haven't gambled on too many games,as I like to research them alot before I get them.The few I did chance have turned out good though,I think they were Dark Cloud and Ikaruga(before it came out on xbox live arcade)  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:19 pm
I had a gamble that turned out horrible.

Three words.

Soul Calibur Legends  

Muleferdan

Xashowd

Ferocious Warrior

31,475 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Master Slayer 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:50 pm
I rented the first Kingdom Hearts to see what it was about. It was a good choice on my part, because I am now a big fan of the series.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:49 am
i would say KH and boktai.

my friend was playing Kh one day and it looked interesting. i bought it and liked it to no i also bought boktai due to megaman battle network 4. i really liked teh gameplay and it got me to play lunar knights.  

ravemaster47

Sir Johnny the 3rd

2,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:10 pm
well the best game ive ever gambled on was samurai legend: Musashi

and the worst ive ever played was Galerians:ASH
(but it almost seems like the basis for plasmid use in bioshock)  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:34 pm
ravemaster47
i would say KH and boktai.

my friend was playing Kh one day and it looked interesting. i bought it and liked it to no i also bought boktai due to megaman battle network 4. i really liked teh gameplay and it got me to play lunar knights.

Ah, finally a fellow Boktai fan/gambler.  

MaverickX516

O.G. Entrepreneur

7,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Unit 413XI5

Dedicated Browser

8,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:22 pm
I bought a used copy of Silent Line: Armored Core after reading the Hard Core section that used to be in Tips and Tricks. It was worth it since the game is awesome and I got it for only 2 bucks. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:29 am
I've gambled on games in the past and got burned, other times found diamonds in the ruff.

Phantasy Star Universe = horrible
Gears of War = Totaly Freaking Awesome
Disgaea 3 = heart  

Demidom

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:36 am
Muleferdan
I had a gamble that turned out horrible.

Three words.

Soul Calibur Legends

I've been pretty close to buying it a few times. Glad I never did.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:38 am
Other gambles:

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - Pretty decent game but I got bored of it quickly
Resistance Fall of Man - Bought it, played it for 10 minutes traded it in later for Disgaea 3.  

Demidom

ThePromisedLandMule
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:04 pm
Demidom

Resistance Fall of Man - Bought it, played it for 10 minutes traded it in later for Disgaea 3.

I'm surprised deathgusier held his tongue.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff