Reply Smash Help
By the names of all the gods that rule SSB, HELP! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cenafan320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:05 pm
Every time my friend plays me in SSBM I get my a** handed to me because I play as Link and he plays as Roy, And i never Win, I come close, but he continues to do that flaming sword thing. I can't seem to win, even with my best moves, he seems to stop my sniping, and smash me off the map, even If I'm Metal!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:18 pm
The only advice I could possibly give is to read the special guides of Characters in SmashBoards.com and bring the theory into practice. Then study your opponent to pierce through his strategy.  

El_Senpapi

Newbie Genius

felix45

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:32 pm
dont suck? I have no idea, I dont see how you could lose to roy, he is so slow.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:35 am
felix45
Did I mention that my friend has damn near MASTERED Roy, my arrows can't keep up, and if you seen me play halo than you know I'm a quick shot. But I won't get into thet, He plays roy hella fast, It's like fighting, bumbumbuuuuuuuuuum level 11 Roy.  

Cenafan320

felix45

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:47 pm
I'm positive if you are using arrows that you suck. arrows are by FAR links WORST attack. I dont know what to say really.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:39 am
Cenafan320
felix45
Did I mention that my friend has damn near MASTERED Roy, my arrows can't keep up, and if you seen me play halo than you know I'm a quick shot. But I won't get into thet, He plays roy hella fast, It's like fighting, bumbumbuuuuuuuuuum level 11 Roy.

I know what you mean. Here's my advice: Learn to play as Marth. He's faster than Roy, can counter too, and with the bunny hood gains the Omnislash of Doom. Ganondorf is a good character to learn too. His power is a good counter to Roy in my opinion. PM me if you need more help. I'm always open.

Oh, and felix? Arrows do not suck. It's the bombs that are slightly cruddy.  

Sephiroths_kid

Phantom_Renegade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:36 pm
some one called me, ok all y'all listen up cause im gonna school you in some techniques, and for the guy above me marth may be better but thats the easy way out
ok so your a link player, and im a sweet roy player
now for the easy ways to beat a roy
1. shield grab, down throw and up-b attack, this will get an easy kill against roy many times
2. throw the boomerang in wierd angles to keep the roy from shffling, and/or wavedashing ands dashng dancing
3. learn how to time your projectiles right, because they all have bad lag time
4. learn how to sffl the dair and the boomerang
5. learn how to space yourself
if you learn how t do these things u should have no problem  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:00 pm
Sephiroths_kid

are you joking? arrows are by far his worst attack because if you want it to go anywhere you have to charge for a really long time. Bombs you just pull out and throw, which throws off whatever the opponent was trying to do. Arrows are 100% predictable, extremely easy to dodge, and the lag recovery time from arrows is so long that any fast character, or rather any good smasher could easliy get link into a combo that will give link about 50%. So no, his arrows suck. horribly. you obviously have never played a good link, or are just a bad link user yourself, if you think link's arrows are good.

This, in my opinion, is the order of how good each of link's projectiles are.
Boomarang (if you are good enough to angle it upwards that is, to keep opponent in combo)
Bomb
Arrow

now, I guess I will give you some good advice. PLAY DEFENSIVE. you have the projectiles, not roy. so he is forced to rush at you. this is a big advantage of anyone with projectiles. now, because link is slow, all his ground attacks have bad lag. you are best off shffling with link when he gets close.

oh, and if you didn't know, you can grapple onto ledges with link's grapple, so no matter how far down you are on the level you can still come back so long as you are next to a ledge.

so, that's pretty much all the advice I have.  

felix45

Sephiroths_kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:41 am
felix45
Sephiroths_kid

are you joking? arrows are by far his worst attack because if you want it to go anywhere you have to charge for a really long time. Bombs you just pull out and throw, which throws off whatever the opponent was trying to do. Arrows are 100% predictable, extremely easy to dodge, and the lag recovery time from arrows is so long that any fast character, or rather any good smasher could easliy get link into a combo that will give link about 50%. So no, his arrows suck. horribly. you obviously have never played a good link, or are just a bad link user yourself, if you think link's arrows are good.

Boomarang (if you are good enough to angle it upwards that is, to keep opponent in combo)
Bomb
Arrow

now, I guess I will give you some good advice. PLAY DEFENSIVE. you have the projectiles, not roy. so he is forced to rush at you. this is a big advantage of anyone with projectiles. now, because link is slow, all his ground attacks have bad lag. you are best off shffling with link when he gets close.

oh, and if you didn't know, you can grapple onto ledges with link's grapple, so no matter how far down you are on the level you can still come back so long as you are next to a ledge.

But if you get hit enough, the bomb'll go off in your hand. I know it's small damage, but it has knockback so your opponent can keep hitting you. I never use his arrows personally, but my friend has used them to great effect on anyone he plays. You don't really need them to go anywhere. Just flick one off to get someone flinching long enough to roll out of there. The boomerang I respect, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:06 pm
well, the reason you pull out a bomb is for the intent of throwing it, and even if you get in a combo bombs are the perfect thing to stop it, just drop the bomb and let it fall on your opponent, even if you get hit along with him you stop his combo and you can turn it around.  

felix45

Jump Einatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:53 am
felix45
Sephiroths_kid

Bomb
Arrow

While the arrows aren't nearly his best attack, I like to use them as triggers to take out landmines or bombs. Or open boxes. (very slowly)  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:24 pm
Felix45: Roy is not slow, I don't know against who you have fought, but Roy is everything except slow, he may be less fast then Marth but I can make Roy fly like fox and dive like Captain Falcon.

Sephiroths_kid: I don't see what should be better by playing like Marth, he is faster yes, but thats his only big plus, for the rest he is just as good (or bad, just how you see it) as Roy.
Roy is also heavier that gives him a good extra to stay in longer and being able to take more % to also deal more damage to Link or any opponent.

Anyway, to win from Roy, as some have stated, Roy has not a single long range attack and Link has alot of em.
Use that since Roy will need to get close if he ever wants to put a hit on you.
Bombs are the best thing to use and use em alot to make it take Roy longer to get to you (but you need to throw hit or in places that can make it hard for Roy to come and hit you) and you will give him damage at the same time.
When Roy uses the counter on a moment that you do not attack, use your Grabbling Hook and beat him a couple a times before throwing him away.
Try to dodge Roys attack and attack with your sword as soon as he has attacked and you dodged, their is one of the weak points of all the characters of SSBM.
And when he has alot of % then use smash attacks to finish it.
And keep those long range attacks coming, keep your distance as much as you can, the less he gets near the less he can damage you and the more you can damage him!!!

((Unfortunatly this does not really help much against Roy (unless he has an item ofcourse), but against alot of others or when they have items in their hands this is good to know...
A MUST KNOW FACT!!!
LINK AND YOUNG LINK BOTH HAVE A VERY USEFULL SHIELD, IF YOU STAND WITH YOUR SHIELD TOWARD A OPPONENT WHO WANTS TO TRHOW SOMETHING OR SHOOT SOMETHING THEN DO NOT MOVE, THE SHIELD WILL NULLIFY THE ATTACK, INCLUDING ARROWS FROM A OTHER LINK, ENERGY BALLS FROM SAMUS OR THE GUN, CAPSULES AND EVEN (IF NOT MISTAKEN) THE GREEN SHIELD!!!))

Roy Soraxis

[Pikachu]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:58 pm
Phantom_Renegade
some one called me, ok all y'all listen up cause im gonna school you in some techniques, and for the guy above me marth may be better but thats the easy way out
1. shield grab, down throw and up-b attack, this will get an easy kill against roy many times
2. throw the boomerang in wierd angles to keep the roy from shffling, and/or wavedashing ands dashng dancing

Your strat in fact one is wrong. That is not good. Links Hookshot is vey slow and predictable. So if your friends has reall master'd roy, he should know what is going on.

If you throw the boomerrang at roy, you'll cancel the lag autmatically for Roy, making and instant SHFFLC neutral

Bomb doesn't have lag. Boomerrang has hardly lag. The arrows hardly have lag.

You'd be better off SHing a fair or bair, and using a dair as a finisher.

Keep your space? Link has strong melee attack. SO the last thing you want to do is keep your space.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:10 pm
[Pikachu]
Phantom_Renegade

Your strat in fact one is wrong. That is not good. Links Hookshot is vey slow and predictable. So if your friends has reall master'd roy, he should know what is going on.

If you throw the boomerrang at roy, you'll cancel the lag autmatically for Roy, making and instant SHFFLC neutral

Bomb doesn't have lag. Boomerrang has hardly lag. The arrows hardly have lag.

You'd be better off SHing a fair or bair, and using a dair as a finisher.

Keep your space? Link has strong melee attack. SO the last thing you want to do is keep your space.

Projectile spam, boomers and bombs only, NO ARROW, exploit Roy's lack of projectiles! That hookshot has VERY long range, grab then Dthrow and start Utilt chain. Yea, angle the boomers, it adds extra damage when someone is hit from a diagonal boomer than a straightforward one and if you angle it up the only way for the opponent to go through is forward, which usually gives you a free grab and keeps the combo of Link going. Up-b as an edgeguard move, and learn how to bomb jump recovery.

NOTE: If you shield while the bomb blows up, you don't take damage and makes a bombshield. Maybe useful at times. Watch out for counter too =3  

divine_chaos_demon

YoruTaro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:13 pm
Id say keep with the mind games...If you think hes better then you then yeah i suggest you play defensive. use SHFFL Nairs, Fairs into a grab into a down throw probably into some up tilts then nair or fair him away. In addition I myself suggest using his standing up B. It has a big hitbox, and great knockback. great for kills and edge guarding. Also start using sidestep if you already havent.  
Smash Help

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff