Reply Buying and Advice
Thinking about a Taurus Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cleveland Steamroller

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:07 pm
From what I hear, back in the 70's and 80's, Taurus wasn't that great, but I've been hearing some good things about their revolvers lately. I stopped by Academy today, and saw a gun that I just fell in love with.

Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum

Now, because Academy puts those chicken-s**t trigger locks on their guns, I couldn't move the hammer, nor could I feel how light the trigger was. However, the gun had a nice weight to it, and the sights weren't half bad either.

After dicking around with semi-autos for most of my shooting career, several of which refuse to function properly (am I cursed? gonk ) I have decided to invest in a revolver.

Anyone ever shot this model? Thoughts, comments, suggestions?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:04 am
For the price, you would be hard pressed to get a better deal. I would prefer a used S&W, but I doubt I could find a used .44 magnum at that price that wasn't beaten half to death.

Buy it. But demand to run some snap caps through the dealer's counter gun. They'll have some snap caps handy if you have the cash and are ready to buy.

Be sure you're happy with the trigger pull and action since this is a double action. This is a personal preference.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:07 pm
The adage, 'try it before you buy it' comes to mind.

Granted not every, slimmer chance than that, gun store would let you fire live rounds.

A S&W .44 Magnum?
twisted

But wait.
You said personal defense not; Home Defense, Bear Attack, Bear hunting, Deer hunting, Rhino hunting, Elephant hunting, Gazelle hunting, man hunting, Elk hunting, scaring the s**t out of the range moderators.
The list can go on. Also, good luck concealing a 10 5/8" barrel.

Honestly, I dare someone not to soil their pants when they see that barrel unholstering in their face.

Ah here we go.
S&W model 29 goodness in a 3" package.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113747099  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:58 pm
OberFeldwebel
Honestly, I dare someone not to soil their pants when they see that barrel unholstering in their face.
I've often said the same thing about the Serbu.

I've been considering a Judge as a carry weapon when I turn 21. I wonder, can you initiate the three-day waiting period so that you get the gun the day you turn 21?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:39 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

I've been considering a Judge as a carry weapon when I turn 21. I wonder, can you initiate the three-day waiting period so that you get the gun the day you turn 21?

Waiting period? What's that? xd

Every purchase I had was in with money out with gun. But then again these were at gun shows and not at actual stores and such.
But come to think of it I didn't have to wait for the purchase of any of my rifles at the store. Or is that just with handguns in stores?

The Judge would be friggin sweet to have.
.45 Colt (******** awesome) and .410 compatibility?
OMFGFOGOGMFOMGOGMFOMGFOGMOGMGOMGOGMOGMOGMFOMOMG

I'd like to get one as well but for personal preference, mine would be blued.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:41 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

likely, in Texas you can take the CCL class 6 months before your 21st B-day so that you get the license once you trun 21.  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:54 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

Every purchase I had was in with money out with gun. But then again these were at gun shows and not at actual stores and such.
But come to think of it I didn't have to wait for the purchase of any of my rifles at the store. Or is that just with handguns in stores?

I'd pack the damn thing full of .410s and keep it with me constantly. Anyone breaks into the house or tries to ******** with me outside, and they answer to the Judge. There are certain places and times around here when I just don't feel safe. Hell, the best thing about .410 is that it wouldn't be inordinate to use against a rattlesnake, and I've run into a few of THOSE recently. Don't know if I'd go blued or stainless, though. Probably blued. Now that I look at it again though, does it look like it has a small trigger guard to anyone else?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:49 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

I'd pack the damn thing full of .410s and keep it with me constantly. Anyone breaks into the house or tries to ******** with me outside, and they answer to the Judge. There are certain places and times around here when I just don't feel safe. Hell, the best thing about .410 is that it wouldn't be inordinate to use against a rattlesnake, and I've run into a few of THOSE recently. Don't know if I'd go blued or stainless, though. Probably blued. Now that I look at it again though, does it look like it has a small trigger guard to anyone else?
.410 is, in all fairness, completely useless against a person. Larger shot is nearly impossible, if not COMPLETELY impossible, to find. I would rather keep .45LC in it, or .410 in the first 1-2 cylinders.  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:12 am
uryu ishida
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

.410 is, in all fairness, completely useless against a person. Larger shot is nearly impossible, if not COMPLETELY impossible, to find. I would rather keep .45LC in it, or .410 in the first 1-2 cylinders.
User Image

I wouldn't want to be that target, though. CTD sells 3" 00 and 2.5" 000 buck for .410, and for the cost I'd likely be reloading my own anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:18 pm
Oooo so many good guns to buy and so little money.

sad  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:54 pm
My neighbor just picked what looks to be a Tracker up from someone. Got it for $250. Taurus, .44 mag... looks about right. Only seen camera phone pix, though. I might get to shoot it soon.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:08 pm
anyone have thoughts on the 24/7 pro from tarus?  

exploding-waffles

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:19 pm
Fresnel
My neighbor just picked what looks to be a Tracker up from someone. Got it for $250. Taurus, .44 mag... looks about right. Only seen camera phone pix, though. I might get to shoot it soon.

Update: He sold the Taurus again, and upgraded twice. Right now, he has, brace yourself, a DEagle. That ugly-a** long barrel, and in 44 Mag. ******** Christ that thing's enormous. He's looking to sell it again and get a race gun of some sort. I suppose monetarily it was a good trade.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:05 pm
... hmm.

Taurus for a DEagle.
Then DEagle for a racegun.

His indecisiveness is making me confused.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:54 am
OberFeldwebel
... hmm.

Taurus for a DEagle.
Then DEagle for a racegun.

His indecisiveness is making me confused.
He's working his way up the dollar chain. He bought a $600 Taurus for $300, and he's traded it up for a $1500 DEagle. Essentially, he just bought a DEagle for 1/5 market price.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff