cool?
  yes
  no
View Results

Braeden_attwood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:48 pm
Yay! I'm a druid, and I finally got my prayer beads. I'm SOO excited! heart  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:49 am
I may be a way out in left feild here, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't prayer beads typically Crhistsian and Buddhist?  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:34 pm
Yay!

As for Gypsy's post, I can't say, I really have no clue how Druidism works  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:12 pm
Gypsy Blue
I may be a way out in left feild here, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't prayer beads typically Crhistsian and Buddhist?
no they can also be druid 3nodding  

Braeden_attwood

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:43 am
Braeden_attwood

That's interesting to know! Are they a part of the newer tradition, or a part of the reconstructionist one?

And what are they like? Are they a necklace or braclet?

I'm probably going to drive you crazy with questions, but I have a really strong Celtic influence in my Craft, and as soon as I can find the time, I have a few books to read about Druidic practices. I just haven't found the time yet. sweatdrop Maybe after Midterms.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:21 am
Almost all religions have prayer beads of some sort. Well the main ones at least. The only one I can think of that dosent have one is the Jewish religion  

xxantuxx

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:01 am
It's worth pointing out that if prayer beads are meaningful for you, you could easily make them for any faith. They wouldn't necessarily be "reconstructionist", but the important part (like always, IMO) is that you do the work and they work for you.

Creating and working with the prayers and thoughts for each bead would be very useful for getting to know your own faith better, and putting it firmly in your mind.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:25 pm
As others have stated, prayer-beads or other similiar devices are universal, and may be used by anyone that finds them meaningful. I, myself, use the rosary for deeper mediations and focus.

So, what do they do for you in your faith or otherwise?  

Jameta
Captain

Braeden_attwood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:11 pm
Gypsy Blue
Braeden_attwood

That's interesting to know! Are they a part of the newer tradition, or a part of the reconstructionist one?

And what are they like? Are they a necklace or braclet?

I'm probably going to drive you crazy with questions, but I have a really strong Celtic influence in my Craft, and as soon as I can find the time, I have a few books to read about Druidic practices. I just haven't found the time yet. sweatdrop Maybe after Midterms.
as far as i know they have been part of the traditional driudic robes since druidism first started...they are a necklace  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:14 pm
Jameta
As others have stated, prayer-beads or other similiar devices are universal, and may be used by anyone that finds them meaningful. I, myself, use the rosary for deeper mediations and focus.

So, what do they do for you in your faith or otherwise?
they help me keep an inner peace when i wear them...and i also use them for prayer and meditatation along with sage and incents  

Braeden_attwood

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:04 pm
Wow, that's really interresting to know. From what I had read on Druids, I had never come across prayer beads. Mind you, there's also not a whole lot known historically about that the druids wore, except when they were harvesting mistletoe. blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:10 pm
Gypsy Blue
Wow, that's really interresting to know. From what I had read on Druids, I had never come across prayer beads. Mind you, there's also not a whole lot known historically about that the druids wore, except when they were harvesting mistletoe. blaugh
really? ive honestly never heard of that sweatdrop sweatdrop  

Braeden_attwood

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:11 am
It's what both of my Celt profs, and what little independant reading I;ve done on my own have said, any way. There was one classical record stating that when Druids went to harvest mistle toe, they would wer white hooded robes, and carry a golden sickl/boline at their side. Beyond that, it would appear that no one had taken the time to write anything down until well after the Christian influence. Probably mainly because the Celts didn't have a written language until one was imposed on them.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:25 pm
I'e heard that story somewhat and somewhere, too... Possibly on a website, but I'm not exactly sure. confused  

Jameta
Captain

Braeden_attwood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:17 pm
Gypsy Blue
It's what both of my Celt profs, and what little independant reading I;ve done on my own have said, any way. There was one classical record stating that when Druids went to harvest mistle toe, they would wer white hooded robes, and carry a golden sickl/boline at their side. Beyond that, it would appear that no one had taken the time to write anything down until well after the Christian influence. Probably mainly because the Celts didn't have a written language until one was imposed on them.
oh those are the druid preists... ive never heard that about them harvesting mistletoe before..thats very interesting 3nodding  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff