Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Does anyone else hate swearing? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

supersailorpeach

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:55 am
I don't like it when people swear crying Swearing gets on my nerves. Does anybody else hate swearing?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:43 pm
******** no.  

Spoob

Spanakopita

Aekea Perfectionist

11,000 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:02 pm
I have no problem with swearing as long as it isn't overdone. It only bothers me if there is curse word in every other sentence you type.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:34 pm
I swear all of the time, so I can't say that I hate it. I would really like to kick the habit, though.  

egginaframe

Giraffe Neck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:30 pm
I don't mind it if it isn't repetitive. If every other word is a swear word, it's a big indication that the person needs to expand their vocabulary. I feel that way about any word or phrase, though. For example, I hate when a person uses "literally" every sentence when they're trying to be emphatic. It's annoying.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:07 pm
I don't have a problem with swearing, I swear frequently, I actually find it kind of stupid.
They're just words.

Thundurr

t r o p i c a l HAZARD -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:25 am
That`s pretty much my view on the matter. If two words mean the same thing, why is one word accepted while the other the considered rude?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:28 am
Back in high school I thought it was stupid, but now I don't give a ********. biggrin I don't think it's something to make a big deal out of, honestly. They're just words, and sometimes they're the most appropriate and expressive ones to use. It's definitely a habit of mine, and I don't have a problem with that.  

Quatrina

Bacent Rekkes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:18 am
Who labeled them 'bad words' in the first damn place? I used them alot when I'm pissed or when I'm explaining something. Probally why I got kicked out of english class one year  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:53 pm
Spoob
f**k no.

Hey! stressed  

supersailorpeach

Quatrina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:58 pm
supersailorpeach
Spoob
f**k no.

Hey! stressed

Hah. Well, what did you expect, really?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:55 am
I don't see what the big deal is. I don't swear much myself, because I know full well the sort of impression it gives people.  

SerpentRose

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:01 pm
I agree, swearing is pointless and I rather hate it, but I do swear sometimes (I wish I wouldn't, but I blame public school for infecting me with that disease). When you can say the same exact thing with words that aren't nearly as offensive, why would you swear?

And I think they were deemed "bad words" because many people found them offensive, they were used inappropriately, and lots of people decided that they shouldn't be teaching four-year-olds to swear. In this day and age, most of the world doesn't give a crap and curses for every other word in every sentence, teaching their infants to act the same way but in even more offensive ways (if that's even possible). And frankly, all you people who are swearing right now are being jerks. That's like blowing cigarette smoke into the face of a person with severe asthma.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:38 am
When my fiance does it too much just for the sake of doing it, it irks the hell out of me. "God d* motha f* s* up the a* hole in a s*-stained f*er's d*--" "JUST STOP!!" Whenever he does stupid stuff like that I'm on the verge of striking him.

"b***h" still taps the wrong chord; I once slapped someone--a friend--for saying it to someone else in a joking matter. He said it, that's what mattered. I tried to restrain myself but the hand just took over and did it anyway. I hate when people call each other a b***h as a term of endearment or jokingly or title themselves as such. That's the only word I hate out of context.

Another thing I hate is when people say, "God damn you," or joke around with, "God damn yo' soul!" "Damn" really is a curse word. Damnation is a curse. And if anyone's going to do it, it's God (for those of you who believe in Him.) Asking him to damn something or someone's soul seems to me like a pretty serious request and I feel like people take it way too lightly. I feel like it'll come true, but maybe I'm just superstitious.

Satin Kiss

Swell Sundae

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:50 pm
I've kept myself to this extremely strange thought on profanity, though most say that it's stupid. neutral I'll admit, I don't think the use of profanity is stupid nor degrading to who one may be. Sure, there are a lot of other expressions that can be used, but there are times when the other words lack the punch to describe a situation, triumph, etcetera.

Heck, there was a debate on this with my lab partners - one who hated profanity, the other who used it semi-excessively. I tried to explain both parties that they were both right and wrong, but none of them cared to even think my explanation through.

My thought:
"Although it degrades one's character for using such words in excessive or occasional use, another is just as worse if they cannot handle such."

Well, that's my two cents in. If you don't get what I mean, here it is.

1. ) We all know it's wrong to use such "bad" words.
2. ) However, THEY'RE JUST WORDS. Don't try to argue with this either. If they're not words, why do think they still even exist?
3. ) Excessive use is looked down upon. And it really is. I did once the other day out of personal conflict and emotion, but the girl who was "better" than me muttered "She be crazy." Unemotionless Idiot.
4. ) However, without understanding why one would curse like a sailor (or pirate, whatever you like), you're just as bad as they are. Just my general belief. This is only true however if it is within reason, for example if one gets a low grade on an exam they studied so hard for, if there is personal conflict that applies to even only one person, etcetera.
5. ) Those that cannot handle such are wimps. Was going to say babies or something more degrading here, but this is pretty general, not literal.
6. ) Those that can handle such, and not make any remarks about it, do sometimes keep it to an semi-occasional / occasional use, and understand the times when one may curse as much as a sailor/pirate have my eternal respect. And truly, only a few do have my respects.

Wow. I gave more than two cents in. I gave an entire dollar. eek  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces