Reply Buying and Advice
why so cheap? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:12 pm
Why does it seem like mosin-nagants are so cheap compared to other rifles from the same time period? Most I have seen range from $65 - $120. I know they are old and used, but it still, a rifle like that I can actually afford seems too good to be true. Even if I rarely used it and just had it hang on the wall, it would be a good deal.

Come on, I know at least one of you has one. Is this price about right?

Ad was in shotgun news for IO inc (ioinc.us)  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:28 pm
Man of the Demoneye
Why does it seem like mosin-nagants are so cheap compared to other rifles from the same time period? Most I have seen range from $65 - $120. I know they are old and used, but it still, a rifle like that I can actually afford seems too good to be true. Even if I rarely used it and just had it hang on the wall, it would be a good deal.

Come on, I know at least one of you has one. Is this price about right?

Ad was in shotgun news for IO inc (ioinc.us)

The Soviets only made about... 37,000,000 of them.  

Barru

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Supply > Demand = Cheap
Supply < Demand = Expensive

But when: (Supply - Demand > 9,000,000) = Damned Cheap  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:28 pm
I see. Thank you. I was just wondering if it was cheap because it could have been a famous POS or what.

Well, while you are at it, mind pointing me in some sort of direction? I was looking at the M91-30 Octagon. I'm not sure if any year(s) are better. I just want it as a good target rifle, not so much as a collectors piece. Overall finish is of no concern to me as I can easily do that over a weekend if I wanted it.  

Man of the Demoneye

Isitcanbemuletiemnao

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:07 pm
Man of the Demoneye
I see. Thank you. I was just wondering if it was cheap because it could have been a famous POS or what.

Well, while you are at it, mind pointing me in some sort of direction? I was looking at the M91-30 Octagon. I'm not sure if any year(s) are better. I just want it as a good target rifle, not so much as a collectors piece. Overall finish is of no concern to me as I can easily do that over a weekend if I wanted it.
I asked that a few days ago, and Ober pointed me here: http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/c-r-guns/p/mosin-nagant-91-30-hex-receiver-rifle,-standard-grade,-7-62x54r-caliber-/cPath/290/products_id/1524  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:22 am
Isitcanbemuletiemnao
Man of the Demoneye

I asked that a few days ago, and Ober pointed me here: http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/c-r-guns/p/mosin-nagant-91-30-hex-receiver-rifle,-standard-grade,-7-62x54r-caliber-/cPath/290/products_id/1524

Thanks for the link. I heard of this company before but never had to actually deal with them. It is a bit cheaper there though.  

Man of the Demoneye

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:46 am
If You want a target rifle, then I would go for a K98 which go for only $120ish and right now AIMsurplus.com has a great deal on good surplus.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:18 pm
Freak_090
If You want a target rifle, then I would go for a K98 which go for only $120ish and right now AIMsurplus.com has a great deal on good surplus.
I actually saw an ad in this month's Dillon catalog with K98s that I think were cheaper than that. I'll go see if I can find it later. What does a K98 shoot?  

Isitcanbemuletiemnao

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:18 pm
Freak_090

nah, don't want a mauser. It's a mosin, enfield or springfield. The mosin is the most available to me at the time.

@mule- 7.92x57mm. that is wikipedia though, so it could be a bit inaccurate at times  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:38 pm
If you want an accurate milsurp rifle buy a K31. classicarms has them in stock still (i think)  

inconsequential

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:57 pm
I think I'm pretty well settled.

Though if someone could tell me the difference between the hex reciever/round reciever, and what years are better, that would be much appriciated. I don't know much about rifles, let alone any particular type.

Thanks for everything so far!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:03 am
Man of the Demoneye
I think I'm pretty well settled.

Though if someone could tell me the difference between the hex reciever/round reciever, and what years are better, that would be much appriciated. I don't know much about rifles, let alone any particular type.

Thanks for everything so far!
My guess is that the hex receiver took more manufacturing time, and so it was cut down to a round receiver. Enfield did that with their cocking pieces. The switched from the labor-intensive round cocking piece

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

to the easier-to-produce slab-sided cocking piece.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

No practical difference, just collectibility and looks.  

Isitcanbemuletiemnao

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:20 am
The round receivers took a bit less steel or iron, whatever, to make.

Also, some round versions look real nice, smooth and machined with much care.
Some other more russed, see what I did there?, versions are rough and even jagged.

I believe this site explains it all.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130S.htm

I wish I had found an M91/30 that was made in 1927, then it would match my Revolver. 3nodding

... odd.
My hex 91 has the pre WWII sling fitting in the front but an early WWII fitting in the back...  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:38 am
OberFeldwebel
The round receivers took a bit less steel or iron, whatever, to make.

Also, some round versions look real nice, smooth and machined with much care.
Some other more russed, see what I did there?, versions are rough and even jagged.

I believe this site explains it all.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130S.htm

I wish I had found an M91/30 that was made in 1927, then it would match my Revolver. 3nodding

... odd.
My hex 91 has the pre WWII sling fitting in the front but an early WWII fitting in the back...

Someone ******** with it.  

Inquisitor Brock

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:05 am
so it all goes down to looks and preferance with no difference in function then. Thanks guys!  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff