Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
The PSL Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:57 pm
Well I was messing around with it again today and cycled some rounds through it to see if the magazine works and to see if it cycles alright.

After noticing some very distinctive scrapes on the casings from the mag rails, I looked at the primer.

There's a slight dent from the firing pin on 3/5.
eek

On three of them I let go of the bolt just before the magazine and let the action slam the bullet into place.

Should there be a spring holding the firing pin back so that it wont do this?

Is it possible to get a slam fire from this?

gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:20 pm
Honestly, I don't know much about firing pins, but I'd assume that if there's damage to the pin it would either not fire at all or cause a slamfire.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:56 pm
Requiem6661
Honestly, I don't know much about firing pins, but I'd assume that if there's damage to the pin it would either not fire at all or cause a slamfire.

Hmm, well, when I do test it out I'll just put two rounds in the mag and try it then.

eek  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:26 pm
Is it possible that your firing pin is set forward by mistake?  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:48 pm
Freak_090

Huh?
What do you mean by that?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:37 am
Your firing pin is most likely misgapped, some ******** up didn't know what he was doing when he assembled it.

You need to either find out the proper gapping distance and do it yourself, don't ask me how, or you need to take it to a competent gunsmith Asap, because if you're not lucky enough, you're gonna slam fire and end up putting a bullet in your computer screen, and that's the best option.  

Inquisitor Brock

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:43 am
Inquisitor Brock
Your firing pin is most likely misgapped, some ******** up didn't know what he was doing when he assembled it.

You need to either find out the proper gapping distance and do it yourself, don't ask me how, or you need to take it to a competent gunsmith Asap, because if you're not lucky enough, you're gonna slam fire and end up putting a bullet in your computer screen, and that's the best option.

Well, I'm not that stupid.

Bullet hole through my wall or a big chip out of the ceiling.

I just don't know of a competent gunsmith anywhere.

I know Gander Mountain charges a flat rate of $40 for any work done but... I'm not sure.
Are they good or are they the Wal*Mart automotive equivalent?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:26 am
OberFeldwebel
Freak_090

Huh?

What Brock said.  

Freak_090
Captain

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:43 am
OberFeldwebel
Inquisitor Brock

Well, I'm not that stupid.

Bullet hole through my wall or a big chip out of the ceiling.

I just don't know of a competent gunsmith anywhere.

I know Gander Mountain charges a flat rate of $40 for any work done but... I'm not sure.
Are they good or are they the Wal*Mart automotive equivalent?

Never been to Gander, heard of it, but never been there.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:39 am
Freak_090
OberFeldwebel
Freak_090

Huh?

What Brock said.

Oh ok.

But if it was set forward like that, wouldn't it do it every time, and not just when I let go of the bolt?

I took the cover off and I can see the assembly and in fact the rear bit of the firing pin.
I can push it forward where it stays but if I manually cycle the bolt it stays back but... when I let it go the pin seems to stay flush with the...
ah ******** I don't know what it's called. Help? Is there some kind of schematic that shows the parts name?

Bloody hell, I can't find any that aren't for paintball or ******** airsoft.
Thanks for flooding the internets full of your dreck. Thanks a ******** lot.
Even with -airsoft -paintball I can't find s**t.

Anyway, the only thing that knocks it back to the right place is, essentially a knock.
Rifle in one hand, open palm in the other, strike the palm with the buttstock pad and you get a pin returning to where it probably should be.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:58 am
Does the PSL have a free-floating firing pin? Because that would absolutely do this, and there's nearly no risk of slam fire.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:17 am
Fresnel
Does the PSL have a free-floating firing pin? Because that would absolutely do this, and there's nearly no risk of slam fire.

... it's supposed to freely float?

Yeah, I knock it back and forth easily I guess that would be considered floating?  

Barru

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:54 am
Barru
Fresnel

... it's supposed to freely float?

Yeah, I knock it back and forth easily I guess that would be considered floating?
An AR has a free floating firing pin. The pin isn't attached to anything, it just has boundaries in every direction. It's guided by a tube, it can't go farther forward than the bolt head or farther back than the retaining pin, but within those bounds it moves around freely, like a rock in a box. If you ease the bolt forward, there will be no dent on the pin, but if you let it drop, when the bolt stops, the firing pin doesn't, and it leaves an impression on the primer, but never enough to set it off unless the primer is seated badly.

I just looked it up, both the PSL and SVD have free floating firing pins. You're good. [sauce] Just make sure to keep it clean, because if it gets very dirty, the pin can jam forward and your gun goes full auto and uncontrollable. Also, badly seated primers, ones that stick out abnormally far can also cause a slam fire, but that's most often a problem in reloading, so factory rounds shouldn't have that.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:36 pm
Ah ok.

So proper maintenance and properly loaded rounds and it's all good.
Good.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:15 pm
OberFeldwebel
Ah ok.

So proper maintenance and properly loaded rounds and it's all good.
Good.
I've fired thousands of rounds through my AR and not cleaned it for a couple months or so in a stretch, and even the notoriously dirty rifle didn't start sticking on me, so with something like a PSL, you'd have to neglect it for a LONG time before it jams up on you.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff