Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Circulars or Double Pointed? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Circular or Double Pointed?
  Circular
  Double Pointed
View Results

Supertheory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:38 pm
Just a quick post to ask those of you who knit if you prefer to use ciruclar needles, or double pointed needles when knitting in the round (or in any other instance you'd find yourself using one or the other.

I use circulars for EVERYTHING. I don't use straight needles at all. Why?

Circs are more versatile: you can knit straight projects, or circular without having to go buy a new pair of needles.
Also, if you find yourself doing a lot of knitting, or working on large projects (or just with a heavy yarn), circular needles distribute the weight of the work evenly on both needles, so you don't have a ton of weight on one side or the other. This makes the strain on the wrists noticably less, and helps a lot if you find your fingers stiff, or your arms sore after going at it for a few hours.

Now, I don't use DP's. I've never quite figured out how to use them, and it seems kind of complicated. I'm sure it's not, and you just distribute your stitches evenly among your needles, but, well, I'm SURE I'd figure out how to screw that up...

So, Crafters, Circs or DPs and why?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:41 pm
For most everything I knit with turbo circulars. But I must say that knitting on double points can be fun. When I really need to get something done though I always use circular needles. But if I feel bored and unchallenged knitting wise I use double points, just because it takes me a little brain power to distribute the stitches properly on all the needles.

What is also fun for me though is knitting socks and on two sets of circulars, it has the challenges of double points with the comfort of circulars. I am also learning two at a time socks circulars, which is also quite fun.

So even though I had to pick one on the poll my vote is actually both!  

Drowtung

claviclebone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:57 pm
I've tried using DP's before, it ended up with me tangled up in yarn.
Circulars are easier, well to me atleast.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:39 am
Drowtung
For most everything I knit with turbo circulars. But I must say that knitting on double points can be fun. When I really need to get something done though I always use circular needles. But if I feel bored and unchallenged knitting wise I use double points, just because it takes me a little brain power to distribute the stitches properly on all the needles.

What is also fun for me though is knitting socks and on two sets of circulars, it has the challenges of double points with the comfort of circulars. I am also learning two at a time socks circulars, which is also quite fun.

So even though I had to pick one on the poll my vote is actually both!

Two socks at the same time on the same needles? I can barely do that when I'm making sleeves!

You're going to have to let me know how to do that.

Also: Someone make a sock tutorial?  

Supertheory

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:33 pm
Loom.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:58 am
I don't buy straights at all.

I adore circs because you can knit flat and in the round on them.

I do, however, also buy DPNs. I use DPNs sometimes when I want to use short straight needles and I think that the circ cord is getting in the way (usually for short-row projects) and I use them to close off the top of hats.

I know and use magic loop, but I'm undecided as to whether or not I prefer DPNs or magic loop for projects. For hats I prefer DPNs because I find magic loop mussy and too much effort for a short jaunt. I won't knit socks on DPNs though, I do it all on magic loop.

I have my favorite needles, too. I perfer Bryspun DPNs almost exclusivily because they're flexible and have great points and slide well. That and they're cheap. They rock.

I like my Addi Turbo's for circs best, but I have a vartiety of steels and bambbo as well.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

CMaSiriusgirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:59 pm
Am I the only one that chose dpn's? I love them because they can handle very small number of stitches very easily. I use them for most of my projects.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:42 pm
CMaSiriusgirl
Am I the only one that chose dpn's? I love them because they can handle very small number of stitches very easily. I use them for most of my projects.

Not necesarily. I buy and use alot of DPNs -just depends on what I'm making.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:03 pm
I use just about everything. I own mostly straights because they're only 1 or 2 bucks at walmart (i'm so cheap!), and use them for small projects like washcloths or scarves. I use circulars for larger projects like the cape I'm currently making for ren faire, or blankets. I use dpn's for hats, socks, stockings - i need to post a picture of my beautiful ren faire stockings: cabled lace seam up the back, gold band across the top, cabled heel flap....ah, I loved making those!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 pm
I used both. Some things you just can't make with circulars like purses. Trying to knit something cube shaped on round needles is difficult. Also most things small I'll knit on DPNs. It takes more coordination, but once you get the hang of using them they're easy. I know you can knit smaller things on two circular needles, but that's more expensive then just buying one set of DPNs.  

Adain-chan

Dapper Explorer

tamaja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:34 am
I bought the book knit 2 on circular needles, something like that anyway. I got confused with the dblps, so I thought I would try this way. I only started one sock. Made is all the way to the heel and through the heel. But messed up so I tore it out. I haven't tried it since. I want to make a pair of tobbi socks for my daughter for christmas. Dont think I will make it. But I do love the turbo's for small stuff and I love my Denis set for the bigger stuff. I am also making from the top down sweaters for my son and hubby, I am almost to the arm deviding point of one of them. Can't wait to get them done.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:44 am
Personally speaking, I prefer DPNs. I've tried circs, but the wire kinda annoyed me, and I didn't like the transition from wire to needle. However, I've only tried knitting on not-very-expensive circs, and I've been told that it can make a difference. *shrug*  

KariudoMegami

Violet Song jat Shariff

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:12 pm
I've only used circular needles for one project (a bag), and I have a set of DPNs, but I haven't really learned how to use them yet sweatdrop .

For the most part though, I stick to my straight needles 3nodding . I don't knit anything too awfully creative or anything so they get the job done.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
I heart my Knit Picks circulars.

Too bad they don't sell 40 and 47" size 4 and above!  

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

KingToon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:34 pm
I have to say i LURV my denise circular knitting need set. Though i also love knitpicks circs. though i do use dpn for everything super small. I dont like straights due to the fact that are hard to carry around.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff