Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Taking out the trash (Prom 08 dress) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alternative prom dresses...yay or nay?
  yay
  nay
View Results

The Perilous Popsicle

6,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:24 pm
So perhaps youve seen this around the interwebs, perhaps not, either way i thought i should share it around here.

User Image

this i made myself for prom last year, it was a huge hit and got me alot of recognition. I may convulse everytime i see a bag of skittles but I plan to go into fashion or costume design and am definetly going to continue working with diffrent things. This dress is helping me reach that goal.

I was rather suprised i was accepted as i was at prom, i didnt get a single nasty comment but instead made alot of friends. I definetly dont regret wearing it, i was a guest and wearing something weird is so much more exciting than a regular dress.

(ive already begun work on next years dress...it shall be even more exciting)

and no ive never seen project runway, though the second i get highspeed internet i will have to watch it online because its sounds rather magnificent!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:55 am
How was it to wear? was it comfortable?
That aside, it is certainly a very impressive dress.  

creampies2135

Drowtung

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:19 am
That is a great dress. When I was in fashion classes at college we made all sorts of strange dresses. A friend of mine in a fashion class right now made a '20's style flapper dress out of corn husks. I loved it. Hers was not full scale though. I doubt it would hold up to a wearing, but skittles wrappers is a great choice! I hope you continue to make clothing and keep up the awesome designs! You could really go somewhere I think.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:15 am
creampies2135
How was it to wear? was it comfortable?
That aside, it is certainly a very impressive dress.

oh it was terribly uncomfortable, i was late to a filmfest i was attending in it and had to run up this gradual slope in which i almost passed out because you cant breathe in the sucker xD  

The Perilous Popsicle

6,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100

dkpuppets

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:12 pm
well it is still super cute even though you couldn't breathe. a girl I knew made a duct tape dress, but it wasn't nearly as cute. maybe if you (assuming that you didn't) sew the wrappers on top of some red cotton or something it would have been more comfortable. I've always wanted to do something like that, but I don't have the patience. I would love to be a costume designer, but I don't think I am that creative. though, I made an impressive octopus once. http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/55/l_a058d5df3e0a460b9bc226342c18150a.jpg
I'd like to see more of your creations!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:01 am
That's *awesome*!!!!

I love non-standard fashion!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Bunnybam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:05 pm
that dress is soooo cute and creative ^^ great job <3  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:47 pm
That's incredible.  

Sachiko13

Drowtung

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:52 pm
I keep thinking about that dress since I saw it and got inspired!

I am in the planning stages of making a raincoat out of plastic shopping bags.

It's not going to be as super cute as the dress you made, but I have lots of bags, and not many skittles wrappers...so it was born out of necessity?

Thanks for the inspiration!! heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:16 pm
wow it took me a moment before i realized it was made of bags of skittles. did you sew them together with w sewing macine? id think the bag would rip...  

ashasaurus13

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:56 pm
It rocks! This dress is the high point of my night!!

(seriously bad night, but good crafting/art always helps perk me up ^^ )  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 pm
That dress is absolutely smashing!! I love the design you chose! Was it machine stitched?  

Evagaline

Katalixa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 am
That's awesome. I made a duct tape dress for my junior prom, I got a lot of nice comments on it and even some photo requests. I think there might be some floating around on Facebook somewhere.

I love that you even made some shoes. That's like the cherry on top.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:34 pm
This is amazing! I'm going to ask the same question as everyone else: Did you do this on a machine? And if so, how did you keep the bags from ripping?

At the college I attended last semester, the art majors had to design an outfit using only plastic bags. The girl in the room next to mine made a beautiful wedding dress.  

Felt Teeth

Silvermoonfall

Moonlight Shapeshifter

7,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:40 am
Very nice! Very nice indeed ^_^  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items