Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
Sabbat recipies and activities Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do u like any of the ideas?
  yes
  no
  maybe
  gold!
View Results

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:29 pm
Hey everybody! Does anybody have any activities or recipies that correspond to Sabbats they would like to share? I have several I've found online, and would like to share them.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:35 pm
MABON STUFFED GRAPE LEAVES

This appetizer takes a while to prepare, but it's well worth it. Use fresh grape leaves off the vine if you have them, or buy a jar of marinated leaves in the grocery store. Either way, it's a delicious accompaniment to your Mabon feasting, and embodies the god of the vine by using both the grape leaves and raisins, which are just dried-up grapes.

Prep Time: 1 hours, 00 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:
1 jar grape leaves
2 Cups white or brown rice, cooked about halfway
1 onion, chopped
1 egg
1/2 Cup golden raisins
1 granny smith apple, chopped
1/2 Cup loose fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/3 Cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are perfect, but pine nuts work too)
2 Tbs. curry powder (or more, depending on how much you like curry)
4 Cups vegetable broth
Lemon wedges
Preparation:
First, if you're using commercially prepared grape leaves, remove them from their jar and rinse them in cold water for about five minutes. They're pickled in a brine solution, so you'll want to separate them gently and let them soak for a while. If you're using fresh leaves off the vine, soak them until they're nice and pliable.

Meanwhile, combine the rice, onion, egg, raisins, apple, mint, nuts and curry powder together in a bowl, mixing well.

Lay a few grape leaves out on a cutting board, shiny side down, and remove their stems. Place a small, compact scoop of the rice mixture in the middle of each leaf - about a tablespoon should do it, although you could use more if you have really big grape leaves. Fold the grape leaves over each other, like you're wrapping a burrito. Be sure to roll them as tightly as possible. Repeat until you've used up all your rice mixture, or run out of grape leaves.

Place all your rolled leaves in the bottom of a large pot. You can pack them in pretty tightly, which will help keep them from unrolling as they cook -- you can even stack them in layers, if you need to. Pour the broth in on top, covering the rolled leaves just barely to the top. Cover the pot and bring to a rolling boil, and then decrease heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.

When the rolled leaves are done simmering, the rice will be cooked all the way. Remove the leaves from the pot and allow to cool. Squeeze lemon wedges over the tops. These are really nice served with chilled yogurt and pita bread as a light meal, or they can be a side dish to a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern-style dinner.  

Aryain Flames

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:57 pm
That sounds yummy!!!

There are a few things posted for Yule and Litha in the Gatherings sub forum and another list of stuff for all the Sabbats in the Sabbats thread in the library.

I'd love to hear from everyone about their favorite recipes, while I'm not that much of a cook...my hubby is and I'd love to give him something new to try out!  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:15 pm
LAMMAS BARLEY MUSHROOM SOUP

Here's another yummy one! Barley is one of the grains honored in harvest folklore throughout history. It's a filling sort of grain, and lends itself beautifully to a hearty soup, especially when you add wild mushrooms and other late summer goodies! You can either make this soup right before meal time, or get it started early in the day, and allow it to simmer for a few hours.

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Ingredients:
5 C. vegetable broth
1 C. barley, uncooked
1/2 lb. mushrooms (use morels or enoki for a woodsy flavor)
1/2 C. onion, diced
1/2 C. fresh carrots, chopped
1/2 C. celery, chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:
Bring the vegetable broth to a low rolling boil on the stove and then reduce heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, carrots and celery, and allow to simmer for ten minutes. Add the barley and garlic, cover and simmer for another hour.

Add salt and pepper, seasoning to taste.

Serve as a side dish at your Lammas celebration, accompanied by a nice soft chunk of buttered bread!  

Aryain Flames

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:45 pm
LAMMAS ROASTED GARLIC CORN

Few crops embody the spirit of the harvest quite like corn. For centuries, the corn cob has been a staple part of every harvest season meal. However, instead of just plopping it in some boiling water and slapping a bit of butter on it, why not make your corn a bit more savory by roasting it over an open fire?

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
Unshucked corn cobs
A pot of water
Butter
Minced garlic
Salt, pepper, and paprika
Preparation:
Soak the corn cobs in the pot of water -- leave the husk on -- and let them sit for an hour or two. This will make the corn cobs nice and moist.

Put the wet corn cobs, still in their husks, on a grill. If you're lucky enough to be using a campfire, drop them into the white coals on the edge of the fire ring. Turn the corn cobs once in a while, and let them cook for about half an hour. You'll know they're done when the husk is dry and slightly burnt.

Remove the corn cobs from the grill and let them sit for a few minutes to cool a little. Don't let them get cold. Peel the husk all the way back and use it for a handle. Brush the cob with butter, and sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper and paprika.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:31 am
I've had The Wicca Cookbook sitting on my bookshelf for over a year now, and still have not had the chance to try any of the recipes.. sweatdrop But here's one from the yule section.

Hot Ginger Tea

1 large knob fresh ginger, sliced
1 stick cinnamon
Several lemon slices
Several whole cloves, stuck into the lemon slices
4 cups water
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar or honey

In a saucepan, combine the ginger, cinnamon, lemon slices with cloves, and water. Bring to a boil. Decrease heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Sweeten with brown sugar or honey to taste. Strain and serve hot.  

Reivyn-chan

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:18 pm
oooh, sounds yummy. i'll have to try it!I tried this meditation last Samhain, and I found it actulaly quite interesting....

SAMHAIN SHADOW MASK

At no other time are we faced with our shadow self more than at Samhain. Now we encounter the dark time of endings and completion, dissolution, and diminishing. The days grow shorter and the nights longer. The Earth is plunging into its winter darkness as the veil between the worlds grows thinner.

Halloween's monsters and frights are merely representations of our repressed fears and shadow side. One way of easing the tensions of the season is to shine the light squarely on our shadows. Examine it and in the process lose all fear of it.

Wear your shadow mask on Samhain and then burn it in the bonfire or cauldron fire -- or leave it on your altar as a tribute to your dark side.

Making a representation of your shadow mask can be liberating. You can feel empowered, because you have better control of the shadow when you can see it before you. Once you eternalize the shadow mask, you know what it is made of. You drain it of any power it holds over you because you know longer hide from it. You then gain magical power because you have changed your consciousness and now know when the mask is worn and when it is not. -- Timothy Roderick, Dark Moon Mysteries

Meditation to Find Your Shadow:

Tape record this mediation or have someone read it to you. Find a quiet, comfortable place to perform the meditation, some place where you will not be disturbed. Be sure to answer the questions after the meditation below. (from Dark Moon Mysteries, page 27.)

Close your eyes. Imagine that a soft white glow is forming at your feet. It begins to swirl upward and it forms a protective shell around you. It lifts you up and takes you on a journey to the core of your being.

The misty glow sets you down and dissipates to reveal a marble staircase that spirals downward. The light is very dim along the walls of the staircase and you can't see all the way to the bottom, but you know this is a place into which you must venture.

You begin down the staircase and you notice it spirals in a counterclockwise direction. The light in the staircase comes from candles flickering in small carved niches along the walls. The staircase walls are made of smooth, cold marble that your occasionally touch as you continue to journey downward.

As you work your way down the stairs, notice on the walls that there are occasionally sigils, magickal symbols formed out of metal and embedded into the walls. These are the symbols of your shadow masks. Take note of whichever one is most prominent. This is the symbol for your primary shadow mask.

Reach up and touch the symbol of your primary shadow mask and you'll find that it comes loose from the wall. As you hold it in your hands, you can feel the cold weight of the metal symbol and you can see it from all sides. Hold on to this symbol as you continue down the stairs.

When you reach the bottom, you find before you a great golden door. You try the door, but it is locked. Look at the keyhole and you will find that it is oddly shaped. Slip the metal symbol you hold into the keyhole and you'll find that it unlocks the door. Open the door d enter the chamber.

The room is cold and quite dark, except for a single point of illumination that emanates from the far side of the room. The light comes from a mask that hangs on the far wall. Go over to it and look at it. You notice that it is well within reach, so you take it down and examine it thoroughly. On the inside of the mask is its name. Take note of it.

After you've examined the mask, place it on your face and ask: "How do I resolve this shadow mask?" Listen carefully to the answer. Once you've heard the message, ask one more question: "What does this shadow mask keep me from doing?"

After you've queried the mask, take it off and place it back on the wall. Exit the chamber and lock the door with the medal symbol you retained. As you climb the stairs, you can place the symbol anywhere along the wall and it will set itself within the marble. Continue to head to the top of the stairs,this time moving much more quickly than before.

Once you have reached the top, the white glow enfolds you once again, lifts you up, and brings you back into your body.

When you have arrived back fully, take a moment to contemplate your experience and do the exercises and answer the questions below:

1. Draw the symbol of the primary shadow mask.
2. Draw your shadow mask.
3. What is the name of the shadow mask?
4. What part do you play in keeping this mask alive?
5. What are the effects of this shadow mask on your life?
6. What does this shadow mask keep you from accomplishing?
7. What action must you take in order to resolve you primary shadow mask?
8. What have you to learn from this shadow mask?

Make a Mask of Your Animal Totem or Familiar

Get in touch with your wild side. Civilization requires us to adequately play our roles each day as parent, worker, friend, etc. Clocks and responsibilities keep us firmly on track each day. Samhain can be a time when we let out the animal to howl at the moon. What animal in you is bursting to get out? Decorate your mask to represent an animal that is meaningful to you at this time, be it your totem, familiar, or just a fancy.

Other Mask Ideas:

At Samhain, many other kinds of masks are appropriate to the season. Here are a few other ideas:

A white or silver mask for the Maiden aspect of the Goddess. A long veil or sheer white veil might be added for mystery as well as white silk blossoms or silver or pearl-white sequin crescent moons.

A red mask for the Mother. Decorate with braided corn husks, sprays of wheat or seeds to express her abundance and fertility.

A black mask for the Crone. Decorate with peacock feathers (to illustrate her mysterious nature), a black veil, black feathers, or black crescent moon sequins.

A gold mask for the Oak King, decorated with acorns and oak leaves.

A holly-decorated mask to represent the Holly King.

A black mask with horns of some kind to represent the Horned Lord.

Masks of nature spirits utilizing feathers, leaves, silk flowers, sea shells, sequins, and the like.

Make a Mask Base

Mask bases and human head forms can be found in most craft stores. Should you desire to do make the mask base yourself, use the following directions from Dark Moon Mysteries.

Items needed:

Mixing bowl
1 cup water
1 cup flour
1/2 cup white glue
20-30 pieces of newspaper or paper towels cut into 1" by 6" strips
Plastic wrap

In a mixing bowl, pour 1 cup of water. Add flour in 1/3 cup increments. As you add each 1/3 cup flour, stir it well, using the fingers to break up any clots. Once completely mixed (it should be the consistency of plaster) add 1/4 cup white glue. Stir well.

Buy a mask base at an arts and crafts store, or use the wearer of the mask as a model. If using a human model, spread Saran Wrap or plastic over the person's face. IMPORTANT: BE VERY SURE TO INSERT A STRAW OR OTHER SUCH DEVISE THROUGH THE PLASTIC THROUGH WHICH THE MODEL CAN BREATHE.

Dip paper strips in flour mixture one piece at a time. Shake off excess mixture and smooth either side of the strip to take off more moisture. Begin to lay strips along the outer rim of the person's face or mask base, along the brow, the temples, the jaws, and the chin. Be sure to overlap and interconnect all strips as you lay them out. Smooth each strip into the others with your fingers. Next lay strips across the nose and connect those strips to those at the cheekbone area. Next begin to fill in empty places on your model's face and around the cheeks and forehead.

Repeat process a second time to create a stronger mask base.

Drying time will vary. Use a blow dryer to speed the process if desired. Once the mask is dry enough to be taken off the model's face, place it in a warm place for 24 hours. Decorate when dry.

Decorate the Mask

If making a shadow mask, it is best to decorate it during the waning or dark moon when it is easiest to externalize our shadow side. Gather feathers, glitter, leaves, twigs, baubles, and glue, tape or staples. Once all your art supplies are in one place, cast a circle or create sacred space. Light a single black candle and proceed to cleanse and charge the materials before you. Decorate your mask. Close the circle.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:07 am
OSTARA CANDIED FLOWERS

Nothing says spring has arrived quite like flower blossoms -- and what many people don't realize is that not only are they lovely to look at, they can taste good too. With a few fresh flowers, you can create a tasty treat. Use nasturtium, roses, pansies, lilac blossoms, violets, or any other edible flower for this recipe. Be warned, though -- this is a bit time consuming, so plan accordingly.

Prep Time: 1 hours, 00 minutes
Ingredients:
Flower petals or blossoms, rinsed and dried
Water
1 egg white, beaten
Sugar
Preparation:
Combine a few drops of water with the egg white in a small bowl, and whisk them together. Hold the flower petal gently between two fingers and dip into the water mixture. Shake off excess water, and then sprinkle sugar on the petal. If your petals seem to soggy, use a paintbrush to brush the water mixture onto the petals instead.

As you complete each petal, place it on a sheet of wax paper to dry. Drying time is anywhere from 12 hours to two days, depending on the humidity level in your home. If your flower petals aren't drying fast enough for you, place them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 150 degrees for a few hours.

Store your flower petals in an airtight container until it's time to use them. Use to decorate cakes and cookies, add to salads, or just eat as a snack.  

Aryain Flames

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:28 pm
IMBOLC IRISH CREAM TRUFFLES

Everyone loves chocolate, and having a nice rich truffle after dinner is a great way to wrap up your Sabbat meal. This recipe is fairly easy, and although the original uses egg yolks, I've modified it a bit to use egg substitute. Make these in advance and chill them, and break them out once your Imbolc feast is over.

Ingredients:
1/2 C. Bailey's Irish Cream
24-oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 C. heavy cream
2/3 C. egg substitute (or four egg yolks)
2 Tbs butter (use real butter, not margarine)
Cocoa powder
Preparation:
In a heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the Bailey's and chocolate chips. Maintain over very low heat so your chocolate doesn't scorch, and stir until the chips have melted. Add heavy cream and egg substitute. Blend until smooth. Stir in butter, whisking until thick.

Remove from heat, and chill overnight until firm. Once the mixture has firmed up, use a spoon to scoop it out and roll into 1" balls. Roll each ball in the cocoa powder until coated. Depending on the size of the balls -- and how much of the dough you eat during prep -- you can get a few dozen truffles out of this.

** Note: if you like, instead of rolling in cocoa, use powdered sugar, colored sprinkles, flavored coffee powder or chopped nuts.

** To make a great gift, roll up a cone of heavy parchment paper, drop some truffles inside, and tie with a ribbon.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:14 pm
I don't really have any specific recipe officially designated as for the solar festivals, but I do have some dishes I've started to make as a tradition. For the solar festival I celebrate around Samhain, I make pumpkin pie. This year I had leftover canned pumpkin and needed to make something with it, so I improvised a pumpkin soup that I plan to make next year. Most of the pumpkin soup recipes I saw online were too heavy on cream. Mine is just a 1-to-1 ratio of pumpkin to chicken stock, plus a bit of butter and some species. It turned out way better than I thought, so I was proud of it. You really have to use GOOD canned pumpkin though; the cheap stuff is too bitter.  

Starlock

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:58 pm
BELTANE MAYPOLE DANCE

It's impossible to think of Beltane without thinking of the Maypole. This is perhaps one of the most popular symbols of the season, representing the Divine Marriage between the Lord and Lady of the Greenwood. The pole represents the male principle, and the ribbons that wrap around it (and the wreath placed atop the pole) are symbolic of the female principle.

The Maypole represents the phallus of the God. The wreath atop represents the v****a of the Goddess. As the Maypole is danced, the ribbons wind around the pole and the wreath lowers, symbolizing the Divine Marriage, the sexual union of God and Goddess. --Yasmine Galenorn, Dancing with the Sun

The Dance

The May Day dance is rich in pagan symbolism. There are usually eight dancers, one for each sabbat of the year, paired into four couples. (Of course, many more may dance. This is only a suggestion.) The dance involves moving in circles and weaving over and under the other dancers. The women take the white ribbons with their right sides to the pole, and the men take the red ribbons with their left sides to the pole. The weaving of the symbolic birth canal begins with music or chanting as everyone moves forward from where they stand, moving alternately over and under each person coming toward them. (To start, the men begin weaving under the upheld ribbon of the first woman they encounter). Continue the dance until the maypole is wrapped. Tie off the ribbons and let the wreath drop to the ground.

Many folks wear bells when dancing the May dance. Make your steps a cross between a skip and a jog, coming down in time to the music, so that the bells mark off the beats of the music or chant.

May Day Chants
(the following chants provided by Grey Mere on the Sabbats listserv)

We are the flow and we are the ebb
We are the weavers, we are the web

We are the needle, we are the thread
We are the witches, back from the dead

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weavers, weavers,
We are weaving the web of life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weave, weave, weave me a rainbow
Out of the falling rain.
Weave me the hope of a new tomorrow.
Fill my cup again

Lady, weave Your circle tight
With a web of living light
Earth and Air and Fire and Water
Bind us to you.

The Pole

The traditional Maypole is a fir tree that has been stripped of all but its uppermost branches (often the trunk of the Yule tree was saved for the Maypole), but traditions vary. Some use oak; others pine. It may range in height from a few feet to as large as you care to make it. (Bear in mind, ribbon will need to be twice as long as the pole.) With unlimited space outdoors, ten feet is a good length. Of course, in a pinch, even a flagpole would do. For those who have restricted space or who have to celebrate indoors, a 3-4 foot dowel inserted in a wooden base and placed upon the altar will work as well.

If you cut a tree for the Maypole, please ask the tree's permission before cutting and leave an offering at the base. An offering of food, wine, or flowers is entirely appropriate.

The Ribbons

However many ribbons you use, you will need equal numbers of at least two colors, depending on the number of dancers you'll have. I recommend at least 6-8 dancers. Ribbons for the pole should be twice as long as the pole and about two to three inches wide. Colors vary according to preference. Traditional colors are red for the God and white for the virgin Goddess. Some use colors of the season -- hunter green for the forest, gold for the sun, or purple for the color of grapes and wine. I've even heard of people using a rainbow of colors to represent the signs of the zodiac. Some traditions request that dancers bring a ribbon in a color representing a certain blessing they might wish for.

The ribbons can be tied just below the topmost branches of the tree or adhered to the top of the pole with thumbtacks, nails, or glue. In Dancing with the Sun, Yasmine Galenorn recommends making crosscuts on the top end of the pole, tying knots on the end of each ribbon, and threading the ribbons through the slits at the top of the pole. The knots will keep the ribbon from sliding out of the slits as it is woven around the pole.

The Wreath

The wreath should be made on Beltane morning. It is traditional to go to the fields to gather May flowers at this time. Fashion a wreath from greenery and decorate with the first blooms of the season. It must be somewhat bigger than the top of the maypole, taking into account any branches you left at the top, in order that it may fall down the pole as the ribbons are wound.

Consecrate the Maypole

Erection of the Maypole should be carried out with great fanfare. Once the tree has been selected, cut down, and the branches removed, it might be carried in processional to the dance site. Next, a hole must be dug. Pour an offering of water with a pinch of salt or a purifying herb like rosemary into the opening with words like:

Earth Mother, may this offering
Prepare you to receive
This symbol of your consort, our Lord.

Next, anoint the Maypole itself, using altar oil or a mixture of any of the following: myrrh, musk, and/or sweet woodruff. With the oil, make the sign of the solar cross, or the Rune inguz, a rune related to the annual "king's circuit," or walking of the land, to ensure the fertility of the land:

At each anointing, say:

Blessed be this tree,
Vehicle of our Lord
Which shall soon enter
Our Mother, the Earth.

When the Maypole has been erected and decorated, light the balefire and celebrate!

References:
Dancing with the Sun by Yasmine Galenorn
The Sabbats by Edain McCoy
Ancient Ways by Pauline Campanelli  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:19 pm
LITHA FIERY GRILLED SALMON

In Celtic lore, the salmon is associated with knowledge. In fact, the first person to taste this delicious fish was granted all kinds of wisdom! At the summer solstice, certainly a time of fire, why not toss a salmon into the flame so you can partake of its vast knowledge? This simple dish can be prepared out on your grill to keep the kitchen cool, and tastes just as good cold the next day on top of a salad.
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
2 lbs salmon fillets, skin on
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C. olive oil
Preparation:
Combine the olive oil, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic and cayenne pepper in a bowl and whisk together. Using a barbeque brush, brush half of the soy sauce mix onto the salmon fillets. Place them sauce-side down (skin-side up) on the grill for about six to seven minutes. Brush the remainder of the sauce onto the skin side, and use a large spatula to flip the fillets over. Grill for another five minutes or so and remove from heat. Allow the fillets to sit for about ten minutes before serving.

Note: A well cooked fish is one that isn't too dry. When you remove the salmon from the grill, it may seem undercooked in the center. However, once it sits for ten minutes, the heat in the juices will make it finish cooking. Don't cook salmon until it "looks cooked" in the middle, because by then it will dry out and lose its flavor.  

Aryain Flames

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:07 am
LITHA FRESH FRUIT FENNEL SALAD

Fennel has a rich, licorice-like flavor, and lends itself well to a cool summer salad. Add a bit of fruit to offset the savoriness of the fennel, top with a light mustard viniagrette, and you've got the perfect salad to serve as a side or main course.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
1 large fennel bulb
2 fresh oranges
1 Granny Smith apple
3 green onions
1/4 C. water
3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. honey mustard
1 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
1 garlic clove, minced
Preparation:
Shave the fennel into thin pieces (use a mandoline if you have one), and toss it into a bowl. Peel and divide the oranges, and chunk up the Granny Smith apples, dice the green onions, and add all these to the fennel.

Combine the water, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey mustard, rosemary and garlic in a bowl and whisk until blended. Drizzle over the fennel and fruit salad.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:18 pm
CHOCOLATE YULE LOG

The Yule log is a traditional feature of most winter solstice celebrations. In addition to making one you can burn in your fireplace, why not whip together a tasty chocolate one for dessert? This super-easy recipe uses a boxed cake mix as its base, and can be put together ahead of time for your Yule celebration dinner. Chill overnight for easy slicing the next day.

Ingredients:
1 box chocolate cake mix, along with ingredients as called for
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. instant coffee granules
1 stick butter
16 oz. semi-sweet baker's chocolate
2/3 cup heavy cream
Spearmint leaf jelly candies
Cinammon red hots
Mini marshmellows & chocolate kisses (optional)
Preparation:
Prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the box. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, pour the batter out onto the paper, and spread until it reaches the edges. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until cake is firm and springy - be sure you don't overbake it!

Allow cake to cool in pan for ten minutes, then invert it onto a cloth towel dusted with powdered sugar. Peel off the parchment paper. Roll the cake up inside the cloth towel, starting with one of the short sides. Let the rolled-up cake cool completely on a wire rack.

While the cake cools, mix up the filling. This particular blend is a coffee-flavored variety that I adapted from a tiramasu recipe, but you can replce the coffee with cocoa if you prefer more chocolate. Blend the whipping cream, powdered sugar and coffee granules together to form the filling. Chill until thick and firm. After the cake has completely cooled, gently unroll the cake from the towel. Remove the towel, and spread the filling over one side of the cake, stopping about a half inch from the edge. Roll the cake back up -- this should be easy, since it cooled in a rolled-up form. Place the cake on a serving platter and allow to chill for a couple of hours.

To make the frosting, melt the butter in a double boiler and then add the chocolate. Once the chocolate has all melted, stir in the heavy cream. Let the icing sit at room temperature until it's a little thick. Spread on the cake, covering the entire roll, and then drag a fork through the icing to create a bark-like appearance on your log.

Add a couple of spearmint leaves and red hots to form clusters of holly on the log. If you'd like to add "mushrooms" to your log, stick a toothpick through a miniature marshmellow, and then poke it into the flat side of a chocolate kiss. Snip off the pointy part of the kiss, and you'll have a small mushroom. Use the toothpick to stick these on top of your log.

If you're not going to serve immediately, wrap the cake in loose plastic and refrigerate overnight. Allow the cake to sit out for about an hour before slicing.  

Aryain Flames

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:52 pm
IMBOLC BAKED CUSTARD

The word "Imbolc" comes in part from the phrase "ewe's milk," so dairy products become a big part of February celebrations. For our ancestors, this time of year was hard - the winter stores were running low and there were no fresh crops. The livestock was typically preparing for birth, and the lambing season would begin soon. At that time, the ewes came into milk, and once milk arrived, you knew your family would have a source of food again. Sheep's milk is highly nutritious, and sheep were considered a dairy animal long before cattle. If you have eggs, then you've got the makings of custard, a perfect dairy dessert.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 00 minutes
Ingredients:
4 eggs
3 C. milk
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
Preparation:
Preheat your oven to 350. Combine all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor, and blend for about 15 seconds, or until well mixed. Pour custard mix into ramekins or custard cups. Place the ramekins into a baking dish, and fill the dish with hot water up to a depth of about ¾". Bake the custards for one hour.

**Note: If you don't have a food processor, you can use a hand mixer, it just takes a little bit longer to get everything mixed up.  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff