Halp Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:07 pm
I need a cheap but reliable semi-auto pistol preferably in 9mm. My dad wanted a pistol for Christmas and my mom got him a Garmin instead, go figure. Anyways, seeing as how all we have is a 38spl revolver, and my dad wants to get his CHL I figured I would scrounge up some money and get him one. Also, I want to stay away from online orders, so suggestions should be of guns that I could find at Academy or Gander Mountain

Any ideas?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:37 pm
I'm not sure if you could find cheap handguns in 9mm at Gander.

They used to have used Police Sigs for about 300, but now they're asking way too much, I think they want $600 or ******** bullshit, severe holster wear, oh and they're USED. Granted by the police but that doesn't mean it should be $200 more than what it should be.
Unless these guns were used by Mark Harmon or Clint Eastwood these should only be about $350-425.

You might get lucky, they might have bought some used people's handguns, it's worth checking out, I'd try and call first though.

Best place to check would be a gun show.
Just inspect what they're selling and like someone suggested, if they refuse to the inspection just walk away then.

As for what to buy?
Well, that FEG that my mother bought, that Hungarian knockoff of the S&W mod 39 or 49, made more compact, works pretty well. Haven't had a jam yet but it wont win any beauty contests, the bluing for the frame was a bit off, there's some brown splotches. My guess is that they used the wrong bluing material for that metal.

The compact doesn't fit my hand, I have to stick out my pinkies but they apparently also make a knockoff Browning High Power.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg130-e.htm  

Barru

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:31 pm
Well, what are some affordable 9mms for say $350?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:20 pm
You should look at Gunbroker for some good ideas, with some FAIR ESTIMATIONS on average price. Just search "9mm" in "Semi Auto Pistols".

Here is the first one I saw.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119235820  

uryu ishida

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:34 pm
yeah, you can always find some random chump gun for cheap, but I am wanting a more mainstream pistol for cheap.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:55 pm
Freak_090
yeah, you can always find some random chump gun for cheap, but I am wanting a more mainstream pistol for cheap.
Cheap, reliable 9mm? Get him a Glock. It's the 40 S&W's that explode. My brother's put plenty of rounds through his 19 with hardly a malfunction, but then again he just buys Wolf.

But more specifically, what kind of gun are you looking for? Full/compact/subcompact?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:05 am
Fresnel
Freak_090
Cheap, reliable 9mm? Get him a Glock. It's the 40 S&W's that explode. My brother's put plenty of rounds through his 19 with hardly a malfunction, but then again he just buys Wolf.

But more specifically, what kind of gun are you looking for? Full/compact/subcompact?
Something that can be carried but not too small.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:20 am
Carried concealed right?

Mainstream as in;
Colt, S&W, Kimber, Glock, Springfield, uh... Magnum Research...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119347296

The Baby Eagle might be something to look into if it's not oversized like the adult. xd  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:10 am
OberFeldwebel
Carried concealed right?

Mainstream as in;

The Baby Eagle might be something to look into if it's not oversized like the adult. xd
Don't get an Eagle for CCW if you want to reload and live. My friend said something about a free-floating magazine or something like that. Anyway, it means if you put the magazine in wrong it becomes a jam-o-matic. I hear S&W makes some wonderful small pistols. Heard good things about the 3913.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:29 am
Don't overlook the Bersa Thunder.

All steel frame. Small enough for CCW. Not as cheap as you would hope, but better than most options in that price range.

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/detail_bersa9.php

And I would kill for a cheap SIG police return. Just add new springs and two fresh magazines and you're good to go. Pity all I can find are cheap used S&W Sigmas in .40. Stove pipe specials! Worthless with hollowpoints.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:30 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Carried concealed right?

Mainstream as in;

Don't get an Eagle for CCW if you want to reload and live. My friend said something about a free-floating magazine or something like that. Anyway, it means if you put the magazine in wrong it becomes a jam-o-matic. I hear S&W makes some wonderful small pistols. Heard good things about the 3913.

Oh so they make sucky 9mms? Well that's good to know.

Ah yes, but I wasn't aware that the Bersa made a 9mm.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:44 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Carried concealed right?

Mainstream as in;

I'm assuming. The Baby Eagle looks like a scaled-down DEagle, and the DEagle had that problem.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:30 am
I would kill for a cheap Police SIG as well. My mother had the chance!
Sig 225 in 9mm for.... drum roll please... $299!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:37 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Carried concealed right?

Mainstream as in;

I'm assuming. The Baby Eagle looks like a scaled-down DEagle, and the DEagle had that problem.
The Baby Eagle I've used didn't have that problem, I just (personally) didn't like the ergonomics. I used the .45ACP version.
After a bit of research, it looks like the Baby Eagle is ACTUALLY more based off of the CZ-75 line than the Desert Eagle. I haven't seen a thing about a free-floated magazine.  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:46 am
uryu ishida
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Carried concealed right?

Mainstream as in;

The Baby Eagle I've used didn't have that problem, I just (personally) didn't like the ergonomics. I used the .45ACP version.
After a bit of research, it looks like the Baby Eagle is ACTUALLY more based off of the CZ-75 line than the Desert Eagle. I haven't seen a thing about a free-floated magazine.

Agreed, it doesn't look exactly like a DE, although it might be a good idea to make a mini-DE, but I never saw a side pic so I never could see if it was a big framed 9mm or not.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff