Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am
So I went out trying to sight in my Enfield yesterday at the 300 yard range. Wasn't on paper and it was too wet for dust, so I got nowhere, but that's beside the point I'm getting to. Eventually I just said '******** it' and decided to have some fun while I was out there. I just started blowing ammo into the berm. I emptied one magazine, reloaded it with stripper clips, and emptied it again. That was the last of the ammo I'd brought. So as I'm carrying the gun back to the car, I hear a funny noise. I take out my ear plugs, and I realize my barrel is SIZZLING. It was sizzling and spitting like sausage on the griddle, and it didn't cool down for about fifteen minutes. Soooo... what the ********? Do all Enfields do this, or is it just mine?

Also, are Enfield stripper clips supposed to be straight-walled, or bent in at the ends? Mine are all ******** up and impossible to feed from, so I'm gonna try and fix them with the pliers.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:04 am
What was it sizziling? Water cozmoline...?

If it was just water, then i wouldn't worry about it it happens to my mosin all the time.  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:13 am
Freak_090

If it was just water, then i wouldn't worry about it it happens to my mosin all the time.
The gun was completely dry, and as far as I know there's no cosmo on it. I think that at the time, Britain packed their rifles in pork fat (which REALLY pissed off the Muslim Pakistanis who received the crates), but I don't know if my rifle was ever packed and shipped. My main issue here is the heat I picked up. It got that hot after twenty shots, with no more than 50 being shot all day. Is it SUPPOSED to get that hot that fast?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:28 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090

The gun was completely dry, and as far as I know there's no cosmo on it. I think that at the time, Britain packed their rifles in pork fat (which REALLY pissed off the Muslim Pakistanis who received the crates), but I don't know if my rifle was ever packed and shipped. My main issue here is the heat I picked up. It got that hot after twenty shots, with no more than 50 being shot all day. Is it SUPPOSED to get that hot that fast?

I don't know about Enfields, but my Mosin get really hot really fast. After about 20 round you should be weary of the receiver.  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

I don't know about Enfields, but my Mosin get really hot really fast. After about 20 round you should be weary of the receiver.
Okay, I guess it's par for the course then. I feel better about it knowing that my gun wasn't one round from spontaneous combustion.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:11 am
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

Okay, I guess it's par for the course then. I feel better about it knowing that my gun wasn't one round from spontaneous combustion.

But then again, the ammo I am using is made for PKs, not Mosins so IDK. Are you using commercial or surplus?  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:05 am
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

But then again, the ammo I am using is made for PKs, not Mosins so IDK. Are you using commercial or surplus?
Commercial Wolf. Which brings me to a second question... do you have any idea as to what this nasty green s**t is that's all over the rim of the casings? I mean, I know that the rounds had some lamp oil spill on them (By 'some' I mean almost a whole bottle) when the previous owner moved, but I can't see how that would turn rusty-copper green.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:05 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

Commercial Wolf. Which brings me to a second question... do you have any idea as to what this nasty green s**t is that's all over the rim of the casings? I mean, I know that the rounds had some lamp oil spill on them (By 'some' I mean almost a whole bottle) when the previous owner moved, but I can't see how that would turn rusty-copper green.

Aren't most fuels corrosive? Brass has copper in it, so copper + corrosion = green  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:59 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

Aren't most fuels corrosive? Brass has copper in it, so copper + corrosion = green
I thought brass just tarnishes and turns dark. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:50 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

I thought brass just tarnishes and turns dark. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought.

IDK, I have seen some REALLY old 8mm Kurz that was green, so I would assume so.  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:24 am
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

It's not that the rounds are turning green, it's... there's these lumps of green waxy s**t all over the back end of the rounds. All around the rim and along the base, but nowhere else.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:13 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

It's not that the rounds are turning green, it's... there's these lumps of green waxy s**t all over the back end of the rounds. All around the rim and along the base, but nowhere else.

Your guess is as good as mine, do those rounds have lacquer sealed primers?  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

They might. How would I tell?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:28 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

They might. How would I tell?

Example
Example(2)

Some companies, like wolf, put lacquer between the primer and casing to make a water-tight seal. Sometimes, they also seal the bullet to the casing with lacquer as well, as is the case with the first example. The reason I was asking was that if the ammo does have the seal on the primer you could probably get some warm water and a towel/rag to wipe off the gunk.  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:46 pm
I'd say a toothpick might get the crap out.
If not go with something harder.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces