Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ey up me duck!
  yeehaw!
View Results

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:12 pm
This has probably been posted vaugely before, but meh.

I was just watching the 'Full Monty' the other day, which is supposed to be a representation of my accent, and was thinking about all the different areas and countries were have here on the internet -indeed- in our guild.
It got me thinking: what do we actually sound like to each other?
What do we imagine each other's accents are?
Do you consider yourself 'posh' or 'common' in the way you speak?

With me peering at teh Full Monty, they really do sound like my accent, although since it's from the 90's a lot of words are a bit dated now, and the accents are a bit rougher than mine (I suppose mine's a slight bit posher at times *shrugs*) - but that's pretty much it. But tehn again it's added iwth ameircanisms and internet-ness gotten from watching too much Tv and surfing too much of the internet (lol)
Speech is a funny old thing.

Then you're on the net where you read everything, and so you genrally accumulate it to your own way fo speaking and think nothing of it.
But then you might be lucky enough to actually hear/see a fellow guildmember (eg I though 'omg zizzy is actually a proper america i'd never added american accents when i'm reading XD) it can surprise you. And then you think, heck, for many English isn't even their first language! Accents again must be strong, but you never really think of it.

it's nice, because you're not judged by your accent esp with thick foreign accents or with 'stupid/simple' predjudiced accents (eg for England think West country, Birmingham, Liverpool & to an extent Yorkshire in general), whereas in the real world you often are.

but teh again, standard english (or colloquial standard english) is always the wirting form, so you never really hear accents/

it just struck me as odd and cool :3

so.......what do you sound like? ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 pm
Hm, I tend not to think of myself as having an accent since my 'accent' doesn't really accentuate or put emphasis on many letter, like a Boston accent has hard, long 'a's, I believe.

If you want to hear my accent watch an episode of 90210. I'm from Bel Air in good ol' Los Angeles, California. 90210 takes place close enough to there.

At most I slur things together a bit, not in a drunk way, but in a 'I talk to fast to accentuate every single word I speak' way.

(And you really thought that when you heard me DT? Proper Americana? xD)  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Funem

Sparkly Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 pm
I have what ppl consider a Neutral Accent. I live in Alabama, have always lived in Alabama, but I don't SOUND like I live in Alabama. My vowels are long, like my dad, and that's because I am a third generation American, the grandfather who brought us here being from Scotland. When most ppl around me say "book," they it sounds like "Bewrk." When I say it, it sounds more like "Booook."

I get teased a lot and I try to blend in with the southerners but it feels like i'm speaking Vomit, tbh. I finally just shrugged and said to myself that my lack of a proper accent is part of what makes me who I am. Take it or leave it.

Or as some ppl say, "Like it or Lump it."  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm
I guess my accent would be classified as "American." There's nothing really to it.

I do however temporarily gain random accents.

I've said it before, but it's relative: If I say "Pint" I gain an Irish accent. It's my favorite one to gain. Fortunately, it is by far the most common one.  

Dornkus
Crew

Werewolf

11,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Evil Pillows

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:08 pm
I guess you could say I have a "normal" American accent, though what the meaning of "normal" changes if you live in different parts of America. I have been told though that when I get worked up I have a very "Boston" accent (dropping 'r's and endings and such).  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:29 am
haahaa, eng and chi are both my first lang. i dont consider myself having a distinct accent since i can work up one.. like when i do presentation or have formal gatherings or talks, i work up a british accent biggrin and for chi i will have tt kind of professional kind of speaking.. like its very different from my normal times when i speak casually with friends to blend in-.- well, my friends say i use very perfect eng cause i dont use singlish... and i thought im very singlish with them..-.-  

Fate-J

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:32 am
Zizzykitty

(And you really thought that when you heard me DT? Proper Americana? xD)

haha yeah, though tp be fair I'm impressed by any ameircan accent XD

Speaking of accents, i was wtaching Buffy the Vampire slayer today, where in the last series Giles brings in some potential slayers form Britain.
they're both supposed to be from London, and they were the most GODAWFUL accents i've ever heard.
I mean bloody hell ><
One was the posh stereotype one was the cokney stereotypes - both were insanely bad and cliched.

I mean, while Giles is posh at least he's actually English. Listen to him and try to copy it people?!

oi vey...

/end rant xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:54 pm
Even though I'm from Brooklyn, I don't have that thick of an accent. It lingers here and there, but I really don't have any distinguishable dialects.

Flyentologist

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:40 pm
I'm terrible at mimicking or copying accents while we're no the topic.

I think my best would be southern which is still really weak.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:29 am
I dislike the way I sound when I normally talk for reason. sweatdrop I tried for a while to always talk with an irish accent but it didn't work out. >.<

The only time I do like hearing my own voice is when I'm singing....  

0Moon_Maiden0

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 pm
Zizzykitty

apprently my attempt at an australian accent ends up sounding like some sort of Punjabi Indian XD  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:37 pm
dragontamer363
Zizzykitty

apprently my attempt at an australian accent ends up sounding like some sort of Punjabi Indian XD

I've got no idea what Punjabi Indian sounds like but that's hilarious!  

Zizzykitty
Crew

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:54 am
Yay I'm special! I DO have a thick accent. I don't know how to describe it though XD. I don't know anyone from North Carolina that doesn't try to put on a fancier accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU7Bl_s--UU
That's pretty much what my accent sounds like, accept even more country.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:48 pm
I have an American accent.

But sometimes if I say certain words, I kind of have a Southern accent. (Or like my brother, Irish.)  

Chaosctrl

Chatty Vampire

5,050 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:55 pm
cool- btw awesome looking av chaos smile  
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]