Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Automatic or Revolver?
  Auto
  Revolver
View Results

Razakin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:23 pm
I am 18 turning 19 in 4 months. I'm planning to get my Concealed Carry Permit as soon as I turn 21. Now I want to purchase a Handgun before I no longer can for any reason. I was looking in the range of 400-800 dollars. I'd like something with decent clip size but I still have some stopping power. I'd be satisfied with a 9mm. I've fired my fathers Colt Trooper Special Mark III .357 Revolver Before using both .38's and .357's. I can hold onto the gun just fine. But with the smaller size of a handgun I'm wondering if i'd get anymore unneeded kick. Can anyone recommend me some. I was looking a Glocks and they are to much plastic to me. I'd prefer something metal but light weight. Such as a Beretta M9 A1. Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 pm
xd At first reading this I thought it was a masturbation topic.

EDIT: A revolver is a handgun. I know what you mean though. You mean an automatic.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:11 pm
Auto, revolvers are not the best choice for a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) for several reasons.
1) Small capacity, the average revolver only holds 5-6 shots and even then very few are capable of using moon-clips to reload.
2) Revolvers are typically wide, bulky, and pointy. Basically, they aren't very ergonomic for a carrying.
3) There aren't many revolvers that would be conventional to carry (IE You wouldn't want to carry a 500S&W) that aren't available in autos of comparable calibers.

Now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't carry a revolver, but there are so many hick-ups with using a revolver as a CCW that it is hardly worth it. For example, if you go through the CHL (Concealed Handgun License) class with a revolver, you will only be allowed to carry with a revolver.

What state do you live in? Different states have different restrictions on magazine capacities. Are you wanting to get a handgun now, or when you're 21? before the age of 21 you can't legally buy handguns or handgun ammo (I'm not sure if this varies per state or not). However, if you are "Given" the handgun as a gift from your parents/guardians it is legal.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 pm
On my planet the Beretta 92 (M9) isn't light. But I guess here gravity is stronger than where you live.

rofl

Sorry, just messing with you. It's not light, though. I don't know where you're getting that idea. I can, however, recommend anything brand name. Ruger's made some interesting and okay-looking autos lately with reasonable prices. Smith and Wesson makese auto-loaders. HK has their USP which is good. As far as plastic bottom-feeders go, there's not much bad about the Springfield XD or XDm. Freak can tell you about that. Erm... the 1911 made by any reputable company has high recomendations if you're into .45s. Taurus's PT1911 looks okay and is priced around $500 in stead of $700-800.

Also, you mean magazine size, not clip size. Magazine:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Clip:

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:04 pm
Freak_090
before the age of 21 you can't legally buy ... handgun ammo (I'm not sure if this varies per state or not).
You can if you tell the shopkeep it's for a carbine. 3nodding

Most won't bother to ask questions, so long as you sound plausible.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:20 am
Fresnel
Freak_090
before the age of 21 you can't legally buy ... handgun ammo (I'm not sure if this varies per state or not).
You can if you tell the shopkeep it's for a carbine. 3nodding

Most won't bother to ask questions, so long as you sound plausible.

Hell, at some ranges I've gone back into the shop and just bought more ammo no questions asked. It's the big chain stores you have to watch out for.  

Freak_090
Captain

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 pm
Freak_090
Auto, revolvers are not the best choice for a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) for several reasons.
1) Small capacity, the average revolver only holds 5-6 shots and even then very few are capable of using moon-clips to reload.
2) Revolvers are typically wide, bulky, and pointy. Basically, they aren't very ergonomic for a carrying.
3) There aren't many revolvers that would be conventional to carry (IE You wouldn't want to carry a 500S&W) that aren't available in autos of comparable calibers.

Now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't carry a revolver, but there are so many hick-ups with using a revolver as a CCW that it is hardly worth it. For example, if you go through the CHL (Concealed Handgun License) class with a revolver, you will only be allowed to carry with a revolver.

What state do you live in? Different states have different restrictions on magazine capacities. Are you wanting to get a handgun now, or when you're 21? before the age of 21 you can't legally buy handguns or handgun ammo (I'm not sure if this varies per state or not). However, if you are "Given" the handgun as a gift from your parents/guardians it is legal.

I have to disagree with a few statements made here. There's nothing wrong with a revolver for concealed carry. Capacity has been argued, but if you need 17 rounds to defend yourself with, you're in the wrong part of town. Seventeen is bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang. and you're responsible for every bullet you fire. with six shot's you're more inclined to direct each bullet where it needs to go rather than fire wildly in the genera ldirection of the threat.

The width of a revolver, in its cylinder, presses the gun's grip outward slightly from the body. In a belly-band type holster it makes a gap between the body and grip for you to get your thumb between cleanly for a faster draw.

Revolver grips are molded for a hand, not a magazine, so they're more comfortable and pointable.

Revolvers do not jam.

A bullet in a revolver that fails to fire requires only another pull of the trigger to bring another in line. With an automatic one must shuttle the slide to expel the spent round. Miliseconds count.

A small .357 Revolver just screams "stop, now" and a .38 revolver is perfectly adequet. Even more so with +P ammunition.

"Sharpness" of a revolver depends on the model. Look into the Bodyguard Airweight if you want snag-free.

If printing under clothes, revolvers appear slightly less gun-like than a boxy automatic.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:36 pm
I have no need to worry about buying the gun as my father would purchase it for me and give it to me. I have plenty of .357,.38,and 9mm rounds. Enough 9mm to support at least 3 or 4 automatics for a few years. I was just on the Beretta Website and the unloaded M9 A1 weighs 2 pounds or 34.4 oz. I live in the state of New York near the city of Rochester.  

Razakin

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:18 pm
ArmasTermin
Freak_090

I have to disagree with a few statements made here. There's nothing wrong with a revolver for concealed carry. Capacity has been argued, but if you need 17 rounds to defend yourself with, you're in the wrong part of town. Seventeen is bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang. and you're responsible for every bullet you fire. with six shot's you're more inclined to direct each bullet where it needs to go rather than fire wildly in the genera ldirection of the threat.

The width of a revolver, in its cylinder, presses the gun's grip outward slightly from the body. In a belly-band type holster it makes a gap between the body and grip for you to get your thumb between cleanly for a faster draw.

Revolver grips are molded for a hand, not a magazine, so they're more comfortable and pointable.

Revolvers do not jam.

A bullet in a revolver that fails to fire requires only another pull of the trigger to bring another in line. With an automatic one must shuttle the slide to expel the spent round. Miliseconds count.

A small .357 Revolver just screams "stop, now" and a .38 revolver is perfectly adequet. Even more so with +P ammunition.

"Sharpness" of a revolver depends on the model. Look into the Bodyguard Airweight if you want snag-free.

If printing under clothes, revolvers appear slightly less gun-like than a boxy automatic.

Here here!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:11 pm
My biggest issue with revolvers is that the bigger hammer gets caught on everything. Personally, I'd like a 1911.  

Man of the Demoneye

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:48 pm
Man of the Demoneye
My biggest issue with revolvers is that the bigger hammer gets caught on everything. Personally, I'd like a 1911.

You can saw it down. Make it a little flat, serrated platform for your thumb to pull back on, rather than a jutting curve.

Every disadvantage of the revolver becomes an advantage in the right situation.

For example, in close quarters one might press the muzzle of their gun to the attacker's body. With an automatic this could press the slide back and keep the gun from firing. Of course one could make the argument that an attacker grabing hold of the cylinder could keep it in place, unless the gun was cocked already. But at that point the defender could use the escaping air from the cylinder gap to burn the assailant's hand to get it away.

There's a reason people are still using revolvers. Several, actually.

(Ruger, Smith, and Colt should be paying me for all these kind words...)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:04 pm
ArmasTermin
Freak_090

Revolvers do not jam.

+1 for solid logic.

I would add that having the revolver holding onto your spent cases leaves a cleaner crime scene.

And while I would want more rounds in a one on gang fight, in a one-on-one confrontation, I agree that the sight of a big barrel revolver will leave the opposing party thinking more than twice about his or her odds.

Whatever pistol you buy, try for reliability first. In my real world experience, I prefer a single action revolver with plenty of practice to make your reactions automatic rather than hoping your automatic will bail you out. Not that I hate automatics. I own a few.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:50 pm
ArmasTermin

Revolvers do not jam.

Sure you would only need about 3-4 rounds to take out a hostile. However, lets say that you get attacked by 2 or more or you are in a store or bank and several armed men come in to rob the place. 6 rounds isn't a very safe bet.

I have to disagree with you on the grips. the only revolvers that I have felt comfortable holding are revolvers with huge grips like a .500SW or .454 cassul. Regular sized revolvers have those tiny grips that just wear your hands raw and have a ridiculous trigger pull. IMO, Autos are better balanced (the majority of the weight is IN you hand, not in front of it) and have a grip that will stay firmly in your hand.

Practice makes perfect, the more rapid fire drills you do, the better your aim will be when you NEED to shoot. Also, double taps, only a reckless idiot would shoot non-stop until the gun it empty. If you feel that you may be that reckless when the time comes then by all means use a revolver. But, I would sure as hell hope that anyone so reckless would be failed when taking a CHL class. (Don't take this personal, the sheer thought of someone so careless makes me angry.)

You're right autos can jam. However, with the exception of 1 FTE, I have never encountered a jam that couldn't be blamed on the user. I don't really count that FTE due to it was with crappy Winchester White box ammo which has a reputation for being shitty. The jams I have encountered have all been caused by either limp-wristing, or by not fully seating a magazine. If you have a unreliable gun then you shouldn't be using it to defend your life.

A compact .45acp doesn't scream anything it just makes people sh*t their pants and go, gonk ..... xd

You shouldn't be wearing clothing that would press against the gun to begin with so I don't see how that applies.

To each his own, I personally feel much safer with the ability to take out several hostiles and THEN have to reload.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:25 pm
Let me just say that I'm not trying to imply that revolvers are better than automaitcs. I'm just saying revolvers have several advantages that make them perfectly viable options for self-defense.

Ideally I would carry a revolver and an auto.  

ArmasTermin

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 pm
ArmasTermin
Man of the Demoneye

You can saw it down. Make it a little flat, serrated platform for your thumb to pull back on, rather than a jutting curve.

Every disadvantage of the revolver becomes an advantage in the right situation.

For example, in close quarters one might press the muzzle of their gun to the attacker's body. With an automatic this could press the slide back and keep the gun from firing. Of course one could make the argument that an attacker grabing hold of the cylinder could keep it in place, unless the gun was cocked already. But at that point the defender could use the escaping air from the cylinder gap to burn the assailant's hand to get it away.

There's a reason people are still using revolvers. Several, actually.

(Ruger, Smith, and Colt should be paying me for all these kind words...)

They also have hidden hammer revolvers. :/  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces