Welcome to Gaia! ::

Furry Fandom Fantasy Discussion and RP Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's friendliest furry guild. We even have ID cards. 

Tags: furry, anthro, furrie, fandom, roleplay 

Reply Main Thread
Why does everyone hate Furries? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Little Kanade
Vice Captain

3,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:59 pm
Why is it that everyone hates furries?
Ever been worried that telling someone that your a furry could ruin your relationship with them?
Have you ever had something happen like listed below?
It's a (I would say) highly spoken about topic.

Well here is why I am asking if you guys have had an experience like this.

Well I am in High school and some of my friends jokingly spend almost a whole school hour trying to find a pic of the cutest kitten and (while meowing and stuff to annoy the teacher). So I show one of my frineds who is prolly the most into it, haha, the pic I posted in my last post of that Cat Girl. He gets all creeped out and sayin how F'ed up furries are. (I havent come out and told my friends I am one yet because I thought something like this would happen).
This brings me to another story. The only other kid in my school who a lot of people know is a furry is a suicidal kid that keeps to himself and talks to him self and draws yiff while in school (this is known from talking to him, he was in 3 of my classes last year). So with this said, everyone I know and people at my school think that is how all furries are.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:05 am
That's probably why, actually. Unfortunately, most people only know about the extreme cases of wierdos in the fandom, because they're the ones that stand out.
My cousin hates furries because there's a group of furs in his high school that are totally off the wall with their furriness at the school, and they tend to piss people off on purpose by barking, growling, sniffing, etc... wear collars and tails and ears TO SCHOOL and just be all out totally freakish. Thus, people get the impression that all furs are like that and start to hate them.
The other side are people who hear about furs second hand and what Furs like and do. Bad news travels a lot better than good news. This is widely known... Thus, all the wierd fetishes, fur pile parties, fursuit sex, doll ********, etc... is what they know about. News ads on strange people who wear fursuits and molest innocent bystanders when a furcon is going on is frequent. (Probably some a*****e who hates furries, so he got in a fursuit and started doing crazy s**t to piss people off to give furs more bad rep.)
So, in response, people tend to dislike furs because they don't really know what's going on.
I'm in the military. Because of the bad reputation of furries from bad news traveling, it's practically part of the "Don't ask don't tell" policy not to let anyone know you're a furry. It's just as bad as admitting you're gay or a member of the KKK to the admiral, and liable to get you kicked out... It sucks, but that's life.
I hear a lot about people disliking furries cause "they're ******** wierd", and I can't say anything about it because it's a military work place... I doubt it'll get any better, and I foresee a sort of civil war in the world somewhere because of it eventually. Not during MY lifetime, but it'll happen some day in the future, no doubt...
On the bright side, within the fur fandom, the ratio of people that are actually really cool and fun to hang out with is far greater than the ratio of non-furs in the world being that way. Thus, I tend to like hanging out with civilian friends who are furs a damn lot more than anyone else.

Anyways... that's just what I've noticed...

BTW, this is in fact a topic that can be posted in the main discussion forum. Don't need to have it in random chat. ^^  

RavendorFoxx
Captain

Felix Rytes
Crew

Demonic Cat

8,200 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:34 pm
sweatdrop
That really is a good question. I never understood why some people hate furries, and I never understood why some furs over do it. Though it pains me to talk about my kin, people over do things. But I agree, most furs aren't outgoing, so when people see the ones that are OVERLY go getters, they tend to use that as a target towards hate.

I had a conversation with a friend of mine who though furries were just people who dressed in suits. I laughed at him for a bit then explained it. He was cool with it ;3

I've already told my friends about my furriness. All but 1 was cool with it. I told the one to ******** off if he can't except who I am. >:3 This was not too long ago. Alot of them understand why I am, and others just don't care, they just accept it. But it does get lonely being the only Fur in my school.

I even has my pics on myspace ^^
I rarely care what non-furs think about me.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:07 pm
Felix The Feline Ninja
sweatdrop
That really is a good question. I never understood why some people hate furries, and I never understood why some furs over do it. Though it pains me to talk about my kin, people over do things. But I agree, most furs aren't outgoing, so when people see the ones that are OVERLY go getters, they tend to use that as a target towards hate.

I had a conversation with a friend of mine who though furries were just people who dressed in suits. I laughed at him for a bit then explained it. He was cool with it ;3

I've already told my friends about my furriness. All but 1 was cool with it. I told the one to ******** off if he can't except who I am. >:3 This was not too long ago. Alot of them understand why I am, and others just don't care, they just accept it. But it does get lonely being the only Fur in my school.

I even has my pics on myspace ^^
I rarely care what non-furs think about me.

Yea... sometimes I wish I would tell my friends I am a furry, but I know that a few of them wouldn't be so accepting, so I guess right now I am just taking the easy way out and not telling them.... sweatdrop

This is why I hate what the people that over do it have done to our image...  

Little Kanade
Vice Captain

3,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

AlishkaNix
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:42 pm
the only answer i guess i have is that people don't accept what they don't understand, and most don't like change or difference...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:51 pm
AlishkaNix
the only answer i guess i have is that people don't accept what they don't understand, and most don't like change or difference...

Yea... The sad part is if you woulda asked me about Furries 2-3 years ago before I knew much about them I woulda been in that group sweatdrop But know I am on the opposite side of it. I like this side better heart  

Little Kanade
Vice Captain

3,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Throttle Kitty

Girl-Crazy Wife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:21 am
the girl I am in love with is more of a furry then me xD and I don't give a ******** what the world thinks =P people think I am weird for umpteen other reasons without it xxD  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:11 pm
haha. i agree. i'm a freak anyway, why does it matter if there's another reason? ^_^  

AlishkaNix
Crew

Felix Rytes
Crew

Demonic Cat

8,200 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:22 pm
Eh thats the problem with humans in nature. they hate or attack anything they're afraid of or don't know what it is.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:43 pm
y do you think a lot of the animals are extinct right now it's because of the human race thinking that they are a threat and kill them off...i really don't care who thinks I'm a furry because it's true and i wont deny it...all of my friends know I'm a furry and there pretty ok with it.....(mostly because there fetishes are more f***ed up then mine... and they cant really dis on me because i know how to get them back biggrin but there are other people i know that hate me because i am what i am....and that's ok with me

and little Kanade if your friends don't accept you then i would not consider them friends...but that's just me  

Apachi_Suraki

Little Kanade
Vice Captain

3,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:39 pm
Apachi_Suraki
y do you think a lot of the animals are extinct right now it's because of the human race thinking that they are a threat and kill them off...i really don't care who thinks I'm a furry because it's true and i wont deny it...all of my friends know I'm a furry and there pretty ok with it.....(mostly because there fetishes are more f***ed up then mine... and they cant really dis on me because i know how to get them back biggrin but there are other people i know that hate me because i am what i am....and that's ok with me

and little Kanade if your friends don't accept you then i would not consider them friends...but that's just me

Yea... I know should not really care about what they think, but i do... I am just starting to do like small things.... not just coming out and saying "I am a furry", but making hints of it by what I do and stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:12 pm
Little Kanade

Yea... I know should not really care about what they think, but i do... I am just starting to do like small things.... not just coming out and saying "I am a furry", but making hints of it by what I do and stuff.

all that matters is that your ok with your self... take your time with it and show them that furries are not the hate on but love on....

oh and just to let every one know i just got my tail in today and it's so soft i love it..now all i need is my ears and i will be set....  

Apachi_Suraki

Little Kanade
Vice Captain

3,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:55 pm
Apachi_Suraki

oh and just to let every one know i just got my tail in today and it's so soft i love it..now all i need is my ears and i will be set....

Cool, where did you get it from?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:13 pm
... a friend got it for me he knows a costume designer and she is making every thing for me...the only bad part is that just the tail and ears alone are costing me $100... but its a price to pay. i love it so much..

sorry for getting off topic here  

Apachi_Suraki

justice_prime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 am
This issue is complicated. Why do people hate furries?

It can be part logical, part closed minded, part ignorance, part misinformed, and perhaps a couple more parts here and there.

If someone doesn't know what furries are, it doesn't help the image of them. If someone is too lazy to find out what furries are, they generally will take to heart every piece of mud slung at the fandom.

It generally just looks a bit similar to why folks hate homosexuals.  
Main Thread

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff