Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Armas' Movie Ramblings UPDATED Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Despite being a writer, I don't actually know whether it's proper to have it as Armas' or Armas's and for that you'll have to forgive me.

I watched "Titan A.E." a few days ago. It's a reasonably forgotten animated movie from... 2000? Or was it 2002? It features some nice visuals and pretty good voice acting. And one of the characters looks almost exactly like Dr. Venture's dad from The Venture Brothers. But the plot isn't anything new. Still worth a watch. You could probably find it on Amazon for a few dollars.

Saw "Akira" the night before last. The voices don't really match up with the people speaking onscreen, but you can get past that. The animation was great for the day and, although dated now, it's not bad. It's a good movie, I think, but there's no deep meanings. Just "with great power comes great responsibility" and "power corrupts" and "Japan sucks" and etc.

I watched an episode of Ghost in the Shell last night on Adult Swim and Batau was training some new recruits or something. He was holding a pistol and noting how it handles and pointed the gun out, grazing the training men down a ways with the muzzle and I'm thinking, "WTF are you doing?! They teach you elite espionage maneuvers but not the four rules?!" The men he was pointing at were reasonably far away and the gun may or may not have been loaded, but it's inexcusable. Masamune Shirow knows guns and shouldn't have had that happen.

"Eagle Eye" will make you paranoid guys (read: all of you) even more paranoid. It's a fun thriller but not without its own political-based preaching. And you have to groan when Shia LaBeouf opens one of the boxes delivered to his apartment and pulls out a Desert Eagle of all things. Bleh. But it has a few funny moments and the acting isn't bad. But I don't know good acting from bad acting, I just like to be entertained, and Eagle Eye does that. Just don't expect realism. The plot is really absurd and organized way too well to actually work in real life.

There's nothing to really discuss here, I'm just talking. Wait, no, I can still save it: recommend us some movies, discuss ones you like, and point out why my views are right or wrong. Go!

Update!

Finally saw The Brave One. It goes pretty far showing the inherint incompetence of law enforcement and how gun laws are, you know, stupid. Whether or not that was the intended or not. As I said earlier I don't know anything of acting, good or bad, but I thought Jodie Foster showed a good performance. Sometimes you could tell what characters were thinking in addition to what they said, which was impressive.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Ghost in the shell is good, I think. If you watcha lot of it, there's alot of political espianoge, etc.

Krilliad

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:36 pm

If it's your name, it's your choice. That's generally how it goes. Besides, who's to argue?

I have Titan AE, but haven't seen it in years. The ONLY THING I remember is the ending. I hate it when that happens.

Only seen 5/7 of Akira on YouTube, then I went to bed for the night. Never got interested enough to watch the last two parts.

Haven't seen GITS since the first season. crying

Seen Eagle Eye, and parts of it kind of annoyed me. Especially the part with the power lines. That was SO bullshit. It is, however, why I refuse to have a car that thinks it's smarter than me. I get so pissed when I turn the key in my Olds and it locks the doors. If I WANTED the doors locked, I'd have DONE IT MYSELF.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 pm

I should get around to watching Titan AE sometime. I've always wanted to see it, but I can't seem to find a dvd of it. I don't want to get it off of netflix because my grandpa always complains when we get anything animated.

Yeah Eagle Eye is pretty good. I've been thinking of showing it to my aunt. She is crazy and paranoid. She would probably have a heart attack if she saw it.

Possible spoilers >>>

She thinks it's amazing to bring up solitaire on a computer and knows nothing of copy/paste. Her knowledge of computer capabilities is somewhat limited. Actually Eagle Eye is kind of scary when you really think about it. With basic knowledge of computer capabilities you can see that much of this really is possible. The A.I. isn't possible as far as we know yet, but that's as far as we know.

<<<
Still a great movie.

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Fresnel
If it's your name, it's your choice. That's generally how it goes. Besides, who's to argue?

I have Titan AE, but haven't seen it in years. The ONLY THING I remember is the ending. I hate it when that happens.

Only seen 5/7 of Akira on YouTube, then I went to bed for the night. Never got interested enough to watch the last two parts.

Seen Eagle Eye, and parts of it kind of annoyed me. Especially the part with the power lines. That was SO bullshit. It is, however, why I refuse to have a car that thinks it's smarter than me. I get so pissed when I turn the key in my Olds and it locks the doors. If I WANTED the doors locked, I'd have DONE IT MYSELF.
Yeah I hate that too. A year ago we got a 06 Ford Fusion that locks its own doors. I'm still not used to that and it pisses me off because I try to get the groceries out of the back seat only to find that the door is locked and I only figure this out after I've closed and locked my door already so I have to wait for my grandpa to get out so I can tell him to unlock the doors since he's the one that drives. It's just annoying.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel

Yeah I hate that too. A year ago we got a 06 Ford Fusion that locks its own doors. I'm still not used to that and it pisses me off because I try to get the groceries out of the back seat only to find that the door is locked and I only figure this out after I've closed and locked my door already so I have to wait for my grandpa to get out so I can tell him to unlock the doors since he's the one that drives. It's just annoying.

The Autolocking is retarded.
My mother's VW does that s**t a lot.

Seems that if you take the keys away from the car a distance and don't lock or some s**t that it'll automatically lock.

Either that or my mother is being a moron and tells me that she didn't lock the car when she actually did.

OberFeldwebel

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:16 pm

OberFeldwebel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel

Seems that if you take the keys away from the car a distance and don't lock or some s**t that it'll automatically lock.

Either that or my mother is being a moron and tells me that she didn't lock the car when she actually did.
I can see something like that being potentially a good thing though. It can help prevent idiots from getting their cars stolen. At the very least there should be some way to toggle that on and off.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 am

Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel

Luckily, my car only does it when I turn the key to the 'run' position. However, this means that my doors lock if I try to play the radio or roll the windows down.

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:20 am

Desert_Fox_Rommel
OberFeldwebel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel

I can see something like that being potentially a good thing though. It can help prevent idiots from getting their cars stolen. At the very least there should be some way to toggle that on and off.

They wouldn't let you toggle it on or off, we're all little kids!
We would turn it off 'inadvertantly' get our car stolen then sue the company because the 'locking mechanism' didn't work or that there weren't enough warnings on aforementioned toggle.
Same damn thing with Traction control.

When my neighbor wanted to kick up a bunch of rocks on the dirt road he went to disable traction control but there was no switch or button for it. (Rental car)

Another annoying 'feature' for the VW is that once you turn the car off and take the keys out you can still roll the windows up or down, but as soon as someone opens the door the windows become locked.
neutral

Which is annoying when you're waiting in the car or trying to roll up the window before getting out.

IMO;
The windows should lock when you hit the damn lock button.

Other thing is how the seat belt locks so that you can put a car seat in. But why have it in the front seat?
You're not supposed to have the car seat in the front seat of a car so why?

If someone made a seat belt locking mechanism that toggled I would be forever grateful.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:46 am

OberFeldwebel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
OberFeldwebel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel

They wouldn't let you toggle it on or off, we're all little kids!
We would turn it off 'inadvertantly' get our car stolen then sue the company because the 'locking mechanism' didn't work or that there weren't enough warnings on aforementioned toggle.
Same damn thing with Traction control.

When my neighbor wanted to kick up a bunch of rocks on the dirt road he went to disable traction control but there was no switch or button for it. (Rental car)

Another annoying 'feature' for the VW is that once you turn the car off and take the keys out you can still roll the windows up or down, but as soon as someone opens the door the windows become locked.
neutral

Which is annoying when you're waiting in the car or trying to roll up the window before getting out.

IMO;
The windows should lock when you hit the damn lock button.
My girlfriend's Taurus does the same thing with the instrument lights. The lock and window buttons stay lit until the door opens so you can find the door handle without turning on the overhead light or fumbling around. Once the door opens, the overhead turns on like normal. Hers does something odd with the windows too, but I don't remember what. My mom's truck has a key setting that I wish I had though. It activates the windows and the radio, but nothing else. It's an "I'm waiting in the car" setting.

Quote:
Other thing is how the seat belt locks so that you can put a car seat in. But why have it in the front seat?
You're not supposed to have the car seat in the front seat of a car so why?
I could be wrong, but I think that only applies to rear-facing carseats.

Quote:
If someone made a seat belt locking mechanism that toggled I would be forever grateful.
My dad's Tracker has a plumb-bob system to lock the seatbelts, so if you park on a hill you can't get your seatbelt to unlock. I've actually never had any problems with my seatbelt locking though.

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Oh yeah, rear facing seats.

Anyway, I still wouldn't have the kid in the front.
Rear middle is the best.
These cars nowadays cave in like tin cans.

My dad's truck does the same damn thing. Had to park on a steep incline when we went into a gun show in Minneapolis and had to wait till we got down the road to finally buckle.

The belts also lock if you pull just a bit too fast as well.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:02 pm

OberFeldwebel

Rear middle is the best.

My dad's truck does the same damn thing. Had to park on a steep incline when we went into a gun show in Minneapolis and had to wait till we got down the road to finally buckle.

I actually like the belt lock feature. If it locks you just release and pull it a little slower. In my grandpas fusion it automatically locks as it draws in so if it gets too tight you have to unbuckle, let the belt completely retract, then buckle up again. It's much more inconvenient.

Desert_Fox_Rommel

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Desert_Fox_Rommel
OberFeldwebel

Rear middle is the best.

I actually like the belt lock feature. If it locks you just release and pull it a little slower. In my grandpas fusion it automatically locks as it draws in so if it gets too tight you have to unbuckle, let the belt completely retract, then buckle up again. It's much more inconvenient.

And that's what makes me want to not wear my seatbelt at all, but if I didn't some moron would notice that and like a moth to a flame will Tbone me.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:23 pm

OberFeldwebel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
OberFeldwebel

Rear middle is the best.

And that's what makes me want to not wear my seatbelt at all, but if I didn't some moron would notice that and like a moth to a flame will Tbone me.
You'd probably get in a wreck and be paralyzed from the waist down rather than killed. Well in the words of FDR, "Don't make me get out of this chair!". xd

Desert_Fox_Rommel

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Desert_Fox_Rommel
OberFeldwebel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
OberFeldwebel

Rear middle is the best.

You'd probably get in a wreck and be paralyzed from the waist down rather than killed. Well in the words of FDR, "Don't make me get out of this chair!". xd

Hmm...
yeah it'd suck to be paralyzed.

Hmm, let's just say that it would be lamer than FDR's legs.
surprised
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces