Welcome to Gaia! ::

Furry Fandom Fantasy Discussion and RP Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's friendliest furry guild. We even have ID cards. 

Tags: furry, anthro, furrie, fandom, roleplay 

Reply Main Thread
Depression. Major causes and what we should do to help. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RavendorFoxx
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 am
It seems to be a big factor in everyone's lives today. If you don't have it, a friend or family member does, or hermit Johnson down the street does and it affects everyone.

Discuss: Why does it happen? What do you do to help? What SHOULD be done to help? Do you think that anti-depressants even do anything to help, or do they cause more problems?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 am
I know one thing that causes depression, a feeling of disconnectedness and loneliness. I know I am suffering from the latter at the moment, being single for my 19 years of life and not really knowing what to do about it other then keep trying and hoping.

Loneliness doesn't always mean one is alone in body, it can also be because even when one is surrounded by people (such as college) they feel disconnected from everyone else. I am fighting hard, trying to get out to places and be with people, but, it's difficult to keep trying all the time, maybe someone else out there is doing the same as me? I don't know.  

Hiro Toshirou

AlishkaNix
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:47 pm
it is hard. it's hard to keep on going when nothing seems worth it anymore. when nothing seems worth ANYthing anymore...

i actually did a project on the different types of depression last year for a health class. there isn't actually a set of things that cause it, because situations are different for everyone. but Yoriko up there is right, disconnectedness and loneliness are both causes and symptoms of it. other things that can cause depression are traumatic experiences, abuse, things like that. but, as i said, it varies for everyone.

when i'm depressed, in all reality there's nothing really i can do about it. i try to find/talk to that one friend who i know cares enough to listen to me and try to help me through it, but that doesn't always work. when i get into an episode of depression, it is often caused by stress, and by thinking and feeling that i am alone and -- frankly -- like no one gives a s**t about me. however, that doesn't mean that attention will make me feel better, because then it just feels fake. so really, as far as "help" goes, it all just depends on the person, the people around them, and the situation. it's important to be aware and sensitive to the victims feelings about all of those too, for any hope of helping.

i know a few people with Depression who says that anti-depressants are a must, but i also know some who have warned me not to take them. they can reduce symptoms, yes, but studies have shown that most of the anti-depressants out there today have fairly high risks of increased thoughts of suicide. which...pretty much defeats the purpose, right? right.

i think the most important thing for someone with depression is to have strength and courage, and to believe in yourself. just to not give up. and, similarly, the most important thing for surrounding people is to support the person and show that you honestly, sincerely care.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:59 pm
Depression symptoms of major depression or manic depression:

Persistently sad, anxious, angry, irritable, or "empty" mood.

Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, hopelessness.

Loss of interest in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed.

Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping.

Decreased appetite and/or weight loss, or overeating and/or weight gain.

Fatigue, decreased energy, being "slowed down".

Thoughts of death or suicide, suicide attempts.

Restlessness, irritability.

Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions.

Children and adolescents with depression may also experience the classic symptoms described above but may exhibit other symptoms instead of or in addition to those symptoms, including the following:

Poor school performance

Persistent boredom

Frequent complaints of physical problems such as headaches and stomachaches

Some of the classic "adult" symptoms of depression may also be more obvious in children, such as a change in eating or sleeping patterns. (Has the child or teen lost or gained weight in recent weeks or months? Does he or she seem more tired than usual?)

Teen depression may be characterized by the adolescent taking more risks, showing less concern for their own safety.

arrow idea I got this information from a Medical Website. I do not own this. ^^

iAisu

Aged Gaian

iAisu

Aged Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:04 pm
Um..wow..I think I have depression...O.o
I have most of the symptoms.. neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:07 pm
What I feel everyday:

Persistently sad, "empty" mood.

Worthlessness, hopelessness.

Loss of interest in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed.

Insomnia

Decreased appetite

Decreased energy

Restlessness, irritability.

Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions.

Persistent boredom

Frequent complaints of physical problems such as headaches and stomachaches.  

iAisu

Aged Gaian

AlishkaNix
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:38 pm
**hugs?** heh. you're not alone, if in fact you do.

i'm not going to try to downplay your symptoms (i haven't been officially diagnosed by a doctor either, but i have all the symptoms) but i read somewhere that it can only be considered real "Depression" when the symptoms/emotions/feeling interfere with your everyday life, and persist for weeks at a time.

again, i'm not trying to say you're not depressed, i'm just letting you know, to help you better determine for yourself if you do ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:20 pm
Hmm..true true. Well said my friend..^^  

iAisu

Aged Gaian

CottonCandyYURI-JUICE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:02 am
Actually I have all those symptoms you listed.I just already know that I am depressed and need to be put on pills but refuse.To me being on pills is a false happiness but even if some get that false happiness from the pills well half of the whole world doesn't.Anti Depressants just make your mind focus e on something else so you can get through the day. They do not cure
depression!
Depression can not really be cured for just look at the world we live in.Just look and see how many good things happen and how many bad things happen.Really the only one who can save you from it is you and a lot of the time even if you do it will come back time and time again.
This is what I believe.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:55 am
TLDR I think my brain just snapped into eight separate, gooey pieces.  

Cookiiz n Creme

justice_prime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 am
I think music can be a tool for folks to feel better... All I do is listen to some upbeat or light hearted music and sing along and I feel better in a matter of minutes.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:19 pm
I suffered from depression at one time but it was brought on by a very very shitty home-life and medication I was taking at the time.

Once things got better at home and I got off the medication I was on, it all went away. For those of you who may deal with being ADHD...be very careful with your meds and your moods.

Sanguvixen

RavendorFoxx
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:17 am
Sanguvixen
I suffered from depression at one time but it was brought on by a very very shitty home-life and medication I was taking at the time.

Once things got better at home and I got off the medication I was on, it all went away. For those of you who may deal with being ADHD...be very careful with your meds and your moods.

Very true. It'll totally jack you up if you're not careful. Then again, I DID lose a lot of weight because of ridlin and Aderol... Strattera TOTALLY ruined me, though. It was like taking depressants and then sitting in a torture room with a female dominatrix wielding a paper scimitar and carbonic acid... HOO! good times. xp
... Bottom line, strattera bad.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am
Solution:

Step 1, make fur suit
Step 2, ...
Step 3, Profit  

BazzBrother

Main Thread

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash