Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
silver ravenwolf? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like silver ravenwolf?
  yes
  no
  i've never looked into her
View Results

-Eluveitie Eventide-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:00 pm
Okay, basically I just wanted to know about everyone's opinions about Silver Ravenwolf. I have heard and came in contact with many people that have strongly suggested that they disliked her and the books/guides she writes. I have also met a few that do like her. I personally have not read any of her writings so I cannot emphasize my own, but when I went to my local New Age/Occult Shop they had a few of her books that they were explaining to everyone helps very well. So which do you lean toward? Do any of you like her? Or dislike her? If you do or don't please explain. (just being nosy.) 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:11 pm
I haven't read much of her either. I have heard perfectly legitimate reasons why they don't like her much though. I have heard some of her information be discredited. Off topic- I am totally fangirling over you right now. I read all your stuff and I think it'd be cool if you dated my fiance cuz he's bi 3nodding  

virgo2591

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:37 pm
(forgive me if this sounds scathing; I'm quite pissed off at other folks right now. The anger is not a direct at you wink )

I loathe Ravenwolf. I really don't think there is any bigger distributor of assholery and misinformation than she. I wouldn't even line a birdcage with her crap.

Sure, she may be easy to read and the things in her books easy to learn, but neither of those means a damn thing if everything one learns is WRONG!

These are essays I link to when someone asks what's so bad about Ravenwolf. Enjoy them if you want.
The Problem With Silver Ravenwolf
Tarnished Silver: Why I Don't Recommend Silver Ravenwolf
Why We Despise Silver Ravenwolf  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 pm
i'm not a fan. i do own a couple of books by her and i have to say that most of what i read sounds, more or less, made up. it may just be me, but she comes off as slightly pompous in her writing and way too assuming, but what can i say, she makes more money than i do.

i do, however, find that i like ellen dugan's work, so far.  

whiporwill-o

RubyLight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:32 pm
Personally, I despise the woman. However, I have a dilemma. My mother bought me Silver's Spells for Protection. I can't quite bring myself to dump it yet, because it was a Christmas present. Is there anything in that book worth using?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:51 pm
RubyLight
Personally, I despise the woman. However, I have a dilemma. My mother bought me Silver's Spells for Protection. I can't quite bring myself to dump it yet, because it was a Christmas present. Is there anything in that book worth using?

just read it, if something piques your interest, but doesn't quite sound right, just tweek it. after all, making it fit you is what works best for you smile like taking an outfit to a taylor, only you'll be the one doing the stitching.  

whiporwill-o

doistu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:37 am
She is, in short, a con artist.
I detest the woman and was unlucky enough to come to own a couple of her books. They stunted my spiritual growth and caused me to leave paganism for a time.

She's simply a sad little woman who's only talent is manipulating niave neo-pagans into believing that she is the ultimate good witch. Which she is not by any stretch.

Why we hate Silver Ravenwolf  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:41 am
RubyLight

It's a spellbook, which means it's only of limited usefulness anyway. Do what you would do with any spellbook: read the spells, make notes of what you find interesting, take what you think will work, and then ignore the rest. Reading other people's spells can be useful in writing your own.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

RubyLight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:02 am
Sanguina Cruenta
RubyLight

It's a spellbook, which means it's only of limited usefulness anyway. Do what you would do with any spellbook: read the spells, make notes of what you find interesting, take what you think will work, and then ignore the rest. Reading other people's spells can be useful in writing your own.

Thanks, I didn't think of it that way.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:02 pm
I too have some of her books. What I do is read them, take notes on the things that I think are interesting, then I look into other books. I will also tweak some of the things to make them work for me.  

Angelbaby In Love

-Eluveitie Eventide-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:47 pm
thank you everyone for putting in your input! I looked into it and found that she might not be so creditable after all. Especially when it comes to generalizing all of pagan practice...Violet Song, thanks bunches for the links, i checked them all out and bookmarked them in case someone asks me so i can forward the knowledge. :]  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:12 am
personally, while i am by no means a fan of hers, i have read some of her books, and they were really what got me into paganism in the first place. so, if nothing else, i suppose i owe her that. on the other hand, she supports "self-initiation" and by reading the threads here, you can clearly see that THAT is a mistaken view. i have used some of her spells, though i always tweak them a little to make them my own.  

Aryain Flames

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:42 pm
Self-initiation is the least of my problems with Ravenwolf wink I dislike her "you can still kinda worship the Christian god" and her "Only Wiccans are witches, anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or deluded" and "messing with free will is Bad and will get you bad luck! now here is a binding spell you can use!"

Yes, Ravenwolf's books are widespread and so many people pick them up at the beginning of their interest or very early on. The issue is that you have to unlearn and relearn everything afterwards rofl I just wish there was a GOOD author with that sort of readership.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:40 am
I have not personally read any of her work, then again I was forewarned. I have, in the past, thought about picking up a spell book, but I really don't do spells, so I didn't.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

TheUltimateToastOverlord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:18 pm
I quite enjoy Raven SIlverwolfs point of view on the whole Christian Wiccan thing because I myself worship the Christian God as my god, and Mary as my goddess. She was the one who got me interested in Paganism along with my friend Aryain Flames and I_Luv_u_Emmy. neutral  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games