Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost. A WTF moment* Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:26 am

Now, before I start typing this.. I just want you guys to know, I'm not sure if I'm being overly sensitive or what, But this severly pissed me off and lowered my view on my favorite childhood mystery heros.

Being sick and having nothing to do, I desided to watch some Scooby-doo. Being as he was the coolest thing since sliced-bread back in the day.

Well, after about 30 minutes, They were talking about witches. How the guy's ansestor[sp?] had actually been a wiccan instead of a witch. And how the word "witch" had come from wicca. blah blah blah.

Wiccans are good and ALL Witches are evil hags stare Did they forget that wiccans are witches and that they do spells too? Or did they just forget paganism all together?

If anyone has seen this movie, you know what Im talking about.

This is a child's show and they still spat distastful information to the children that of course will soak this up like a sponge about witches.

So cartoons have saved Wiccans,But what about the rest? stare

{This was not meant as a bash on Wiccans, Just distorted information. If this opinion has hurt/insulted you in anyway, I am personally sorry}

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:10 am
I actually used to love that movie as a child.

I think the thing about TV and movies is that it's not going to have 100% real information. Childrens shows are more about making that distinction between good and evil and they generally eliminate that grey space of "just because someone is this, it doesn't mean they're that"

Also, if I remember correctly isn't the one girl in the band (Thorn?) pagan? All I remember is that she ends up doing the spell that saves the day in the end.

It's been years and I don't remember it that well. I can see how it would offend some people though.  

vesta_vesves_star

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:24 am
Scooby Doo is awesome! But I remember being highly disappointed that they made her out to be an evil Witch at the end. Definitely they were sending some mixed messages since the "Wiccans" were supposed to be good, but the "witch" was bad. rolleyes Someone obviously wasn't doing their homework when they put that one together. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:35 am
i think it's funny that the ancestor lady was around in the 1600s, yet wicca was not established as a religion until somewhere in the 1950s-ish (or surrounding decades - i always hear/read different things).

it's just a cartoon meant for entertainment, there's nothing you can do about it so just sit back and enjoy the bright colors and talking dog. life is too short to stress out about every little thing that hollywood throws at us. 3nodding  

whiporwill-o

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:52 pm
whiporwill-o
i think it's funny that the ancestor lady was around in the 1600s, yet wicca was not established as a religion until somewhere in the 1950s-ish (or surrounding decades - i always hear/read different things).

it's just a cartoon meant for entertainment, there's nothing you can do about it so just sit back and enjoy the bright colors and talking dog. life is too short to stress out about every little thing that hollywood throws at us. 3nodding

I understand, Though I didnt mean it to sound like it was some big issue of mine, Just an opinion. Plus I did sort of chuckle at poor religious factors and how wiccan blood makes you powerful against a witch xD

However, it didn't help my opinion when a child came to me from school {Apparently they had a substitute or somthing, because it is beyond me why they are watching t.v in school} and had this conversation to tell me:

"Are you wiccan?'

"No Sweeting, Why do you ask?"

"Today we watched scooby-doo and they said wiccans arn't witches. Witches are bad"

Poor little thing, He didn't know any better. But it slightly hurt me to know that children might have thought I was evil. Though this conversation is a few days old, I had thought it was just a misunderstanding. Yet after today.. I realized it was just Scooby-doo.

lol, But it's not like Im going to hunt down the people who made it and give them a good informational kick in the teeth. xD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:11 pm
Namikikyo
However, it didn't help my opinion when a child came to me from school {Apparently they had a substitute or somthing, because it is beyond me why they are watching t.v in school} and had this conversation to tell me:

"Are you wiccan?'

"No Sweeting, Why do you ask?"

"Today we watched scooby-doo and they said wiccans arn't witches. Witches are bad"

Poor little thing, He didn't know any better. But it slightly hurt me to know that children might have thought I was evil. Though this conversation is a few days old, I had thought it was just a misunderstanding. Yet after today.. I realized it was just Scooby-doo.

Kid's are very impressionable, especially with cartoon messages. It's very unfortunate that false information is spread through such means. I assure you the kid wasn't the first to ask.
Ironically, one of my first encounter's with paganism was that very cartoon. I loved it when I was a kid.
Unfortunately, the media's perception of "wicca=good and witch=bad" is so widespread. Almost any show that deals with witches the good ones are called "wiccans" the bad ones are "witches." Why can't we go back to the good old days where Glenda says in the Wizard of Oz, "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" (Though I wonder if that's much better. sweatdrop )
Sorry for the rant. xp  

RubyLight

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 am
Quote:
"Are you a good witch or a bad witch?"

But at least that statement makes the assumption that not all witches are bad, which is a step (or two) in the right direction. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:15 am
Quote:

LOL, i was thinking the exact same thing! rofl (i actually bought a tshirt from target last october that says "i'm a good witch" lol)  

whiporwill-o

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:22 am
whiporwill-o
Quote:

LOL, i was thinking the exact same thing! rofl (i actually bought a tshirt from target last october that says "i'm a good witch" lol)

lol, I did the same xD I wore it to my pagan classes. Though sadly, I only wore it once because I was the only one who found it funny besides my best friend. v.v

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 am
Namikikyo
whiporwill-o
Quote:

lol, I did the same xD I wore it to my pagan classes. Though sadly, I only wore it once because I was the only one who found it funny besides my best friend. v.v

aw, people need to have a better sense of humor, i bought the one that says bad witch too, but i think of it more as "naughty" rather than bad, so i gussy it up a bit, lol  

whiporwill-o

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:50 am
whiporwill-o
Namikikyo
whiporwill-o
Quote:

aw, people need to have a better sense of humor, i bought the one that says bad witch too, but i think of it more as "naughty" rather than bad, so i gussy it up a bit, lol

lol, almost bought that one xD But I convinced myself that I didn't want a house falling on me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:19 pm
Namikikyo
whiporwill-o

lol, almost bought that one xD But I convinced myself that I didn't want a house falling on me.

aw, come on, houses aren't that heavy, it's the highrises you gotta watch out for xd  

whiporwill-o

I_love_Kiera_62

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:25 pm
I maybe a wiccan but really do I look like a evil witch? yeah, i think its offending!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:30 pm
I_love_Kiera_62
I maybe a wiccan but really do I look like a evil witch? yeah, i think its offending!

in the movie it actually said that wiccans are good and witches are evil, if you are wiccan then why would you find that to be offensive? just curious 3nodding  

whiporwill-o

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:26 am
whiporwill-o
I_love_Kiera_62

in the movie it actually said that wiccans are good and witches are evil, if you are wiccan then why would you find that to be offensive? just curious 3nodding

lol, damn those highrises.

O.o I've... never seen him here before. I'm not even sure he read the first post :/ Sweeting, How do we know your actually a Wiccan in the first place? Not trying to doubt you or anything, I've just never seen you around here and I would like some proof.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games