Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Need Altar Assistance?? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Cockblock

Newbie Cat

8,000 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Rally Tyro 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:13 pm
I've noticed that several folk have problems with finding a direct guide to help them create an altar. Here's a small illustration I created that can hopefully assist you if needed be:

First: You must make sure that your altar is facing North. Now, you can simply go by the sky, or if you need assistance beyond that, small compasses (which can become helpful if you're under an overcast and wanting to perform a ritual) are cheap and can be bought at places like the Dollar Store.

User Image

If there are any questions, don't be afraid to shoot a message my way. I'd be glad to answer.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:17 pm
Also know that you can add any personal touches that you may wish. ^^  

Captain Cockblock

Newbie Cat

8,000 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Rally Tyro 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Aryain Flames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:21 pm
Question - due to a total lack of space in the north of my room, would it be ok to have my altar facing another direction???  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:22 pm
Aryain Flames
Question - due to a total lack of space in the north of my room, would it be ok to have my altar facing another direction???

Try to maneuver things around to try and get it facing North if at all possible.  

Captain Cockblock

Newbie Cat

8,000 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Rally Tyro 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:46 pm
Why North?

I've heard that East is also acceptable since that is the direction the sun rises from.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:49 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Why North?

I've heard that East is also acceptable since that is the direction the sun rises from.

I suppose East may work, though throughout a majority of my readings it's weighed out to the North.  

Captain Cockblock

Newbie Cat

8,000 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Rally Tyro 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:59 pm
Wiccan altar construction really - REALLY - depends on the tradition you're working in. The only thing my working altar has in common with the layout you've posted there is the God and Goddess candles. And yours is missing things that my tradition considers essential.

Mine faces East. This is out of nescessity, not desire. North is traditional, but having the altar placed in the center of the circle facing north-east is also acceptable (and I prefer it, if I have the space). In a room with other uses, though, it's not practical - my altar is too large, and it's in the living room.

Non-Wiccan paths obviously don't build altars anything like this.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:40 pm
I haven't had an altar set up since summer. My mom says I'm not allowed to keep any of my things in my room. So all of my things are in boxes. And I think all of my altar things are at my grandmother's house.
When i did have it set up, it had to face south-west. There was just no where else for it.
Meh.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:52 pm
x_piccolino_bellezza_x
Violet Song jat Shariff
Why North?

I suppose East may work, though throughout a majority of my readings it's weighed out to the North.

Not to be rude...but is there any particular reason why we should give more weight to what you have read, over say, established traditional practice (as Morgandria pointed out), or what other folks have read that say the altar can face another direction?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:52 pm
I've always wondered why north. No book ever bothers explaining it.

I mean, I live in the southern hemisphere. What direction would my altar face?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:37 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
I've always wondered why north. No book ever bothers explaining it.

I mean, I live in the southern hemisphere. What direction would my altar face?

The altar faces North, because North is the direction of Earth. It's a solid, grounded physical object, so it goes to the solid, grounded, physical direction.

Alternately, it faces the North-East, as the direction of rebirth - the space in the circle between death (North) and birth (East). This is also the direction the "door" in a circle would be cut, and people enter and exit through.

If your elemental correspondances are different, as they are in Australia, then move things accordingly.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 pm
Oh hey, that North-East thing is pretty cool ^_^

I personally always faced my altar whatever direction I had space to face it, but earth always made most sense to me. Like... a solid place to have it, or something *shrug*  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 am
I have mine in the North. I like the idea of it being on a strong foundation.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:43 pm
I've always had mine face north as well when they were set up. Simply because that's the side the windows are on my apartment..

I really like that North-East concept! I might use that from now on. Thanks for sharing! biggrin  

Reivyn-chan

RubyLight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:00 pm
I've never put any thought into where my alter is placed. It goes wherever I have room. I like the North-east idea.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games