Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Faerie Wicca? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deceased Poet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:13 pm
Today I was walking around in a Wicca store and a really nice guy, who was a teacher for Wicca, told me to check out Faerie Wicca because I was hovering over that area for a while...(fairies fascinate me), and he said that I would really enjoy Faerie Wicca and that I should check it out and do some studying in that area.
I was just wondering if Faerie Wicca was any different from like...Regular Wicca (I think), and if their were any classes for Faerie Wicca?
I know I could have just asked him, but it completely slipped my mind because it was a first time for me inside of a Wicca-based store and I was blown away at all the things in the tiny store.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Deceased Poet

I was just wondering if Faerie Wicca was any different from like...Regular Wicca (I think), and if their were any classes for Faerie Wicca?
I know I could have just asked him, but it completely slipped my mind because it was a first time for me inside of a Wicca-based store and I was blown away at all the things in the tiny store.

Yes. It is different in the fact that Faerie Wicca is not Wicca.

Wicca is a specific religion; a fertility-based witchcult that is solely comprised of priests and priestesses of the Lord and Lady of the Isles. The deities are not interchangeable. It is orthopraxic and as such, the practices can not be changed, or else it ceases to be Wicca.

While the information on "Faerie Wicca" might be handy in making your own eclectic path working with the fae...it won't be and never will be Wicca. And there's no shame in that.

What culture's view of fae are you using?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:11 pm
You may want to check out this thread as well...

Faery Wicca  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:26 pm
Some paths may include working with Fey so do not be afraid to read up on some info.  

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:53 pm
I forgot to mention that there is a huge list of books in the Recommended Reading List thread on the subject of Fairies and the Fae.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:40 am
Is it possible to incorporate Faery Wicca into your own magical workings?  

DemoniaFairy

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:27 am
DemoniaFairy

There is no Faery Wicca. *twitch*

There is Feri/Faery Witchcraft, which is totally different.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:05 am
Morgandria
DemoniaFairy

There is no Faery Wicca. *twitch*

There is Feri/Faery Witchcraft, which is totally different.

Sorry, I see what you mean. That makes much more sense! sweatdrop  

DemoniaFairy

raging-earth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:03 pm
♪♪ boycott love...

A lot of people mistake the Feri Tradition (main site) of witchcraft created by Victor Anderson with fey witchcraft, which is two completely different things. The Feri tradition isn't a form of Wicca, however.

There are groups of people that call themselves Faery Wiccans, those that have read Kisma Stepanich's "Celtic Faery Wicca" and the like. But there has yet to be any hardcore tradition established within the Wiccan religion. Or none that I have found. (If I am wrong, I would love for someone to direct me to resources, as I'm a fey magic practitioner. smile )

...detox just to retox ♫♫

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:15 pm
Okay, question time.

So, the Feri Tradition is initiatory and has Mysteries. How do they handle people who go about incorrectly calling themselves practitioners of Feri?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:56 pm
raging-earth
♪♪ boycott love...

A lot of people mistake the Feri Tradition (main site) of witchcraft created by Victor Anderson with fey witchcraft, which is two completely different things. The Feri tradition isn't a form of Wicca, however.

There are groups of people that call themselves Faery Wiccans, those that have read Kisma Stepanich's "Celtic Faery Wicca" and the like. But there has yet to be any hardcore tradition established within the Wiccan religion. Or none that I have found. (If I am wrong, I would love for someone to direct me to resources, as I'm a fey magic practitioner. smile )

...detox just to retox ♫♫

I never said Feri was Wicca. I know better. :p

Faery Tradition, and Feri Tradition - are the same thing. Francesca de Grandis (of 3rd Road/Faery tradition) is Feri-trained. You can apparently spell it either way, and it's acceptable. Victor and Cora Anderson did work with spirits they considered "fey", or to be the Fae.

I can't honestly see a "Faery Wicca" at any time in the future. I would imagine trying to shoehorn "Faery" into the core of Wicca would pretty much remove it too far from said core.

As I've said before, I have no use for faeries; it's a four-letter word in my house, and I do my best to maintain the mostly-respectful distance we've got between us.

Vi:
Feri has an initiation, but it isn't mandatory, and people can practice Feri witchcraft and access their Mysteries without initiation. At least that's how I understand it. However, like us they have lineages of initiated teachers, and they pretty much police themselves like lineaged Wiccans do. They talk. So one can call oneself a Feri witch, I bet, but if you claim initiation you can be damn sure the initiates start asking around.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:26 pm
Morgandria
Vi:
Feri has an initiation, but it isn't mandatory, and people can practice Feri witchcraft and access their Mysteries without initiation. At least that's how I understand it. However, like us they have lineages of initiated teachers, and they pretty much police themselves like lineaged Wiccans do. They talk. So one can call oneself a Feri witch, I bet, but if you claim initiation you can be damn sure the initiates start asking around.

Ahhh I see.

But then what is the sense of maintaining their Mysteries if one can access them freely? It seems to defeat the purpose of calling them Mysteries.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:59 pm
I get the impression that "Mystery" has different sorts of connotations in this case. Asatru has Mysteries - that's essentially what "Rune" means. Maybe "insight" would be a good sort of way to describe them?

But you have to sort of experience them, whether or not your religion is experiential or not. So like, with the Runes, you can read about them and contemplate them and so on, but you still have to "take them into yourself" and understand them on a spiritual level.

So... you can access Mysteries freely in some religions, but it's not really just about reading something or being told something, because you can know something on a surface level, read it over and over for years, but you won't necessarily click and absorb it on a spiritual or deeper level. And that can happen like in a second, flash, and you get it in a way you never got it before, and something you'd known technically for ages you suddenly know on an internal level, in a wordless way, and you think "Oh".

So you could tell all the people you liked in some cases and they wouldn't get it until they had processed them in a particular way - like they were taught by a god, or they went through particular rituals or meditations or exercises designed to teach the Mystery on that deeper level.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:24 pm
Faerie really shouldn't be connected with the Wiccan religion. They are not a part of the religion. However, there are many faerie lores and legends dealing with different cultures. Faeriecraft is a practice within it's own. There are many different types of Fae and you can contact them but remember. Faeries aren't human. They don't dance around throwing pixie dust on everything. They are mysterious creatures and not all are exactly kindly just as not all humans are. They are to be taken seriously in Faeriecraft, but as I said, it's not connected to Wicca at all.  

-Eluveitie Eventide-

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:00 pm
In terms of working with the Fey, be careful. They are very powerful. There's some debate over if the Fey are good or bad, or if Fairies are good or bad inherently and that will depend on your beliefs and such, but do be careful. I see nothing wrong personally with calling them or encouraging them to be around you if you're on good terms with them, but I would NOT suggest calling them without a proper sacrifice to them first.

Feri Tradition's wikipedia also blatantly misunderstands the Picts,and thus my family and myself. The Picts did NOT have a mystery cult as far as we know about the religion. Fergus was the name of one of our Gods, but we don't know exactly what he did. He was probably a god of kings or warriors(IMO) because a lot of warrior kings share his name. We actually aren't totally sure Fergus was the name of a God. It could be similar to us thinking Henry of England=God of the English a couple thousand years from now since there were quite a few kings named Henry then. I am of Pictish ancestry, we don't have a freaking clue what our religion was before the incorporation with Alba. So, there could have been a mystery cult, but I'm going to guess that given that the Picts were somewhat of a large society, that there wasn't much of a true mystery cult compared to what other people practiced. Like other Celtic societies, the descendants of the Picts often view death as a joyous event, and my family(And other people of Pictish descent I know, which is to say a distant cousin of mine), have strange views on the Fey compared to the Irish and actually view changelings as "Good/not evil/if you kill them, you'll have issues", which is similar to Scandinavian concepts. We were NOT preCeltic in the sense we died out when the Celts came. We coexisted till the 1100s for goodness's sake! Then, we decided to join another country, and our culture slowly disappeared, till were we just have a few myths and histories and tattoos. http://www.pictdom.org/ This site related to Fairy witchcraft per wikipedia is NOT accurate about the little we know about Pictish Culture. What we know is that the Picts were often portrayed as Fey in later Scottish myths, and lived under hills due to invasions. And I can't believe he calls himself King of the Picts. That is very insulting to my ancestor, the last being a guy named Hugh(Hugh the Homosexual in my family, as he was rumored to be lovers with the king of Alba.), who gave up the title of King to submit to Alba and be granted a title of Earl.

THE CRUITHIN/BRITHWYR: Outline of the Historic Picts of Ancient Caledonia, Alba, Prydyn, or Scotland (not yet written) Alba=not Picts. Picts=?= Caledonia depending on who you talk to. Alba took OVER the Picts. So, other than the fact it knows even less about Pictish Culture than I do(and I can't say I know much given that most of it was passed down orally for a good thousand years.) , decide if you wish to follow a path that ignores a culture that much. Personally, as a direct descendant(abit with quite a few disowning going on, so I can't legally claim any titles, along with being exiled a few times from Scotland in my ancestry. Pity, since otherwise I'd be an oil tycoon.Oh well. ), of the last REAL king of the Picts, I couldn't follow a religion that was that off in terms of my history.

However, it's good to see that people are at least hearing about the Picts. I'm glad to see that at least a religion is trying to make the Pictish culture popular/well known again. I think I shall get a tattoo as a result and paint myself blue and go around attacking random Italian people for being Romans and steal cattle. Who cares to join me!(Just kidding.) XD So, I'm not that mad, but it is a bit inaccurate. Not that we know everything about the Picts for that matter, but it clashes with the little widely accepted facts, my personal family history(which portrays the Picts as great warriors, on par with Vikings and having alliances with them and destroying Christianity for a time, when in reality, there wasn't much of an effort to convert the Picts for a while, and the Vikings took pity on us as we were near their lands and were trading partners in all likelyhood. We were really just dirt poor people who liked to tattoo ourselves and didn't like the Romans invading us, and who had nice titles and were literate pretty early on.), and the research I have personally done, along with research into my family's history done by friends and family. So, other than the mental cringe I see at the website, it's up to you to follow it or not.

But, that's not always a bad thing. I'd sure like to be known as a Fey in terms of my powers and such. Who wouldn't want the ability to kidnap small infants, and keep people imprisoned playing music for centuries and be almost as powerful as a God, stronger than the Devil, a fallen angel but who neither the devil or God want, has the ability to shapeshift, etc! Sadly, I think I'm just a boring human who's only interesting feature is that she's pasty as heck and good at violin without much effort. And perhaps, by hearing that the Fey have all these amazing abilities, people will learn about the real Pictish culture as much as we know of it, and people might be interested in it and as a result, do their own research, and perhaps rediscover more information about my culture.

Now, in terms of non Pictish Fey stuff, be careful. Many people think the Fey are very dangerous no matter what. I'd suggest leaving out milk and such. Even in the most kind interpretations of the Fey, they do have a tendency to kidnap people, so if you should meet a Fey, be sure if you want to follow them or not and the Fey are ALWAYS powerful.

PS. sorry if I've resurrected a dead thread, it's just... This is something that does relate to my family, and Gaahhh, I feel the urge to explain what the real Picts were. Though, there's not much wrong with people not understanding the Picts, for all I know we could have actually had extra special magical powers and I could really actually be a Fey. And for all I know, the guy calling himself the Pictish king could be a descendant of a couple brothers of one of my ancestors who supposedly died but other sources say survived in childhood, and he may have a legitimate claim to the title. I'd rather have people learn about the Picts at all and hopefully research the real Picts as opposed to having the history totally die out. Again, the key point of this is to say the Pict=/= a well know culture, and it's not right to say they themselves worshiped the Fey. Later Scottish folklore does indicate that the Pict kings and Gods may have contributed to Scottish Fey lore when mixed with the Irish ideas of Fey and the Scandinavian ideas of mystical beings. Just, I'm not magical despite being of Pictish ancestry. If I am a Fey, I'd sure as heck love that ability to turn random objects temporarily into Gold. But darn it! I can't! sad So, this post is mainly, cringe about inaccurate stuff about the Picts,in some traditions of Fairy "Wicca", but do as you wish.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games