Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How to stop the decline of grammar? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DartStriker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:01 am
What can we do to get our Grammar back?
I have been pondering this question for sometime now.
Seeing as we all agree that gaia has some problems with literacy, what can we do about it. I believe this is a very important topic, and judging from the outside views of Gaia online I really think it's not only important but also extremely vital. Looking at gaia a few years from now I can't image what it will be like just one big chatterbox. Some times I wish I were back when 9,000 people on at a time was consider a high point of the day. So what are your thoughts and opinions on how we can try and change gaia for the better?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:10 am
My notion is to just set the proper example. Refuse to use text talk even when everyone else in a chat room is. Sooner or later, it'll rub off. I've chatted with people who've had atrocious spelling and grammar. After a while of chatting with me, they've improved dramatically, all without my saying a word.

Flaming and nagging will do just the opposite. When you get on someone's case about a bad habit, it often makes them do it more just to be obstinant. So I would suggest just set the proper example, and if enough of we do it, we'll start to see a change on Gaia (I hope).  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

DartStriker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:05 am
I agree with you Shinobi, but on another note of the non-aggression stance would be to try to get more people to agree with us on a larger scale. Now attacking each and every person individually is pointless. Such an action would never work in a large enough scale to change the face of Gaia. My theory is guilds. How many of the members here run guilds? I am currently running a guild and by doing so I want to try and make it as literate as possible. So what if we went from guild to guild (starting with the ones owned by current members of the Gaian Grammar Guild) and ask the owners to have a literate guild. We can make a seal or stamp they can put in their guild if they agree to make it a law or strong warning to use as much grammar and be a literate as possible while posting in that area. I might sound kind of radical, and we might not have the means to do it now. Although in the future we might be able to accomplish something to that effect, because changing the owner of a guild will affect more people then changing a random "Joe" in the chatterbox.

I would be willing to put up something in my new guild saying that it is striving to be as literate as possible. Too progress on other guild owners we can make a list of links of the guilds that join in here, like free advertising for them. That way people can have a sense of pride that their guild is one of few that has turned into one of upstanding grammar, a single light in the black infinity of the darkness.

"This guild is Literate! Approved by the Gaian Grammar Guild"

"This guild is approved by the Gaian Grammar Guild"  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:58 pm
That sounds like a good idea. I'm not really certain who in here actually owns a guild, but a link exchange would be a great idea! I could make a sticky and if the guild owner made literacy a rule in their guild, I'd put a link to their guild in the sticky. And then they could put down that they're a literate guild associated with 3G. Is that what you're driving at?  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

DartStriker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:15 pm
I'm glad you like it, I wasn't sure at first how people would take it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:12 pm
I think that's a good idea, we could post in all our guilds, and get the people there to post in their other guilds, and so on, then hopefully there'll be a lot of guilds that support us, and would get free advertising here.
I hope that eventually, literacy will be a Term of Service.  

karmakaze11

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:30 am
I've noticed many RP guilds that push for literate RPing. Those would be the kinds of guilds I'd like to see join. We could createa vaste network of literate guilds where Gaians would know they'd be safe from "txt tlk".  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:38 pm
I own 2 other guilds, both of which heavily encourage literacy.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

x-ImperfectPrincess-x

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:26 pm
Wow, I've read through your posts and this whole guild thing does seem like a great idea! If there was a crest or something of that sort that said this was a litterate guild that would be very cool.
The guild thing is good as well as what was said about just tlaking literate all of the time even when others are not. Now sometimes I am only a half lit. because I am trying to type too fast adn I practice typing literately (is that a word?) but it is hard. Well my friend is litterate or half litterate all of the time (usually litterate). After talking to her so often my grammar and spelling skills in typing have increased and I have become less lazy. I use to use "txt tlk" and now I RARELY do. But I do admit sometimes I half-a** it.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:16 pm
I wonder if we can get an artist to make us a seal, or something to let the guild owners put up when they join the literate fold. It might be something to think about, anyone have any ideas on what it could be?  

DartStriker

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:09 pm
My brother has joined many guilds that push for literate RPing. Most of these have high entry fees so that they can root out people that are not going to strive to improve their English.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:14 pm
Shinobi 1977
My notion is to just set the proper example. Refuse to use text talk even when everyone else in a chat room is. Sooner or later, it'll rub off. I've chatted with people who've had atrocious spelling and grammar. After a while of chatting with me, they've improved dramatically, all without my saying a word.

Flaming and nagging will do just the opposite. When you get on someone's case about a bad habit, it often makes them do it more just to be obstinant. So I would suggest just set the proper example, and if enough of we do it, we'll start to see a change on Gaia (I hope).
Agreed. biggrin  

Zealot of Insanity

Hisashi Ryuu Nara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:09 pm
DartStriker
I agree with you Shinobi, but on another note of the non-aggression stance would be to try to get more people to agree with us on a larger scale. Now attacking each and every person individually is pointless. Such an action would never work in a large enough scale to change the face of Gaia. My theory is guilds. How many of the members here run guilds? I am currently running a guild and by doing so I want to try and make it as literate as possible. So what if we went from guild to guild (starting with the ones owned by current members of the Gaian Grammar Guild) and ask the owners to have a literate guild. We can make a seal or stamp they can put in their guild if they agree to make it a law or strong warning to use as much grammar and be a literate as possible while posting in that area. I might sound kind of radical, and we might not have the means to do it now. Although in the future we might be able to accomplish something to that effect, because changing the owner of a guild will affect more people then changing a random "Joe" in the chatterbox.

I would be willing to put up something in my new guild saying that it is striving to be as literate as possible. Too progress on other guild owners we can make a list of links of the guilds that join in here, like free advertising for them. That way people can have a sense of pride that their guild is one of few that has turned into one of upstanding grammar, a single light in the black infinity of the darkness.

Acually consider this each line is a person
|
/
/ /
/ / / /
If we spread it to 2 people and they spread it to 2 people and it continues on it would make sufficient blow on bad grammar.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:10 pm
Nara_Shikamaru71
DartStriker

Acually consider this each line is a person
|
/
/ /
/ / / /
If we spread it to 2 people and they spread it to 2 people and it continues on it would make sufficient blow on bad grammar.

Sorry the lines didn't work right. But 1 goes to 2, 2 goes to 4 and so on.  

Hisashi Ryuu Nara

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:22 pm
Trying not to stretch. Note forward post.

Erm, the style where:
and so forth might not work.

Reasoning: Some gaians are too lazy to correct grammar skills, and as people around them have an effect, well, they will taint others... bueagh, my friend actually, well supports txt tlk, and I am being tainted by his spelling! evil  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff