Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
different tarot decks Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:44 pm
do you think that some decks are more 'powerful' or reliable than others, or do you think it just depends on the person using them? like, did you know that there is hello kitty tarot deck. it is supposed to be like the rider-waite deck but with pics of hello kitty and friends.

i have a friend who is OBSESSED with hello kitty and she is wanting one of these decks. they have gone out of print (there was 1 deck on ebay for $250 - yikes) but i found a website with all of the images and desriptions of the cards and was going to make her a deck.

ok, so i got a little bit off topic, but yeah, the main question is: would a "fluffy" tarot deck be just as useful as a more professional looking deck?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 pm
Yep. 3nodding It's not what's on the cards, it's the person using them.  

RubyLight

Ellisari

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 pm
=/ I've also seen the 'pocket sized' mini Rider Waite, the Manga edition, and numerous other novelty ones too.

To be honest, I dont know. I tend to avoid them, though.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:51 pm
iChibi-Panda
=/ I've also seen the 'pocket sized' mini Rider Waite, the Manga edition, and numerous other novelty ones too.

Personally, I wouldn't use them, because I wouldn't be able to concentrate.  

RubyLight

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:06 pm
RubyLight
iChibi-Panda

Personally, I wouldn't use them, because I wouldn't be able to concentrate.

i do not like novelty decks, but she is a HUGE hello kitty junkie, lol, and she has one tarot deck (not novelty), but she just doesn't feel anything with it. she asked me to do a reading for her last night with my deck because her deck made no sense to her.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:27 pm
I think a novelty deck could give accurate readings, yes. But like the other folks who have posted here already, I stay far away from them.

I think one might have to do a bit of extra work with the deck to really bond with it and get past the novelty/cute factor of it though (if that makes sense).  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

xOx KiZA xOx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:08 pm
iChibi-Panda

I had the pocket sized deck...but it's not as neat as I first imagined it to be. The images are much too small to read and...the key-chain//plastic-holder thingy came open so often that I ended up losing a good chunk of the cards! However, because of their small size, they work rather well for spells, sachets, amulets, and so on biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:42 pm
There are some that are just made for fun, and when you're shopping for tarot decks you can tell which ones they are. Not because of the art, or the theme, but the vibe that they give off. They may well work fine for the right person, of course. *shrug*  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Reivyn-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:01 am
I say go for it! There's nothing wrong with a novelty deck if you can connect with it.

My first deck was one I made out of Yu-gi-oh pictures in high school.. It was black and white paper stuck to cards, and I only had the major arcana. But it still worked fine for me, because I saw the symbolism in the characters.

I now use a manga tarot that I bought at a convention, and I love it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:59 pm
Reivyn-chan
I say go for it! There's nothing wrong with a novelty deck if you can connect with it.

My first deck was one I made out of Yu-gi-oh pictures in high school.. It was black and white paper stuck to cards, and I only had the major arcana. But it still worked fine for me, because I saw the symbolism in the characters.

I now use a manga tarot that I bought at a convention, and I love it.

To each their own, I say.

I commend you for being able to do that... I could never use novelty decks; they're too distracting for me, and I could never take them seriously.

However, some can, and all the power to them, then.  

Ellisari

Ellisari

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:01 pm
xOx KiZA xOx
iChibi-Panda

I had the pocket sized deck...but it's not as neat as I first imagined it to be. The images are much too small to read and...the key-chain//plastic-holder thingy came open so often that I ended up losing a good chunk of the cards! However, because of their small size, they work rather well for spells, sachets, amulets, and so on biggrin

XD Yeah, I can see how they would be useful for that.

I could never use one for readings, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:26 pm
♪♪ boycott love...

I think it depends on the connection between the deck and the person. People react differently to different visual stimuli. I, for example, work really well with abstract imagery, so my traditional deck has an abstract design instead of the traditional images.

It also depends on what the deck is intended to connect you to. My favorite deck is my Faerie Oracle and because I frequently do fey magic and meditations I find this deck to be the most accurate for me, because it helps put me in that mindset and connect with something that I feel a close bond with.

...detox just to retox ♫♫

raging-earth

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:02 pm
xOx KiZA xOx
However, because of their small size, they work rather well for spells, sachets, amulets, and so on biggrin

I never thought about that! That is so cool! What a good idea. You could put them in little plastic or glass thingies and make jewellery too. **muses**  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:16 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
xOx KiZA xOx
However, because of their small size, they work rather well for spells, sachets, amulets, and so on biggrin

I never thought about that! That is so cool! What a good idea. You could put them in little plastic or glass thingies and make jewellery too. **muses**

Oooo, i like that idea heart  

whiporwill-o

Ellisari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:56 pm
I have mini playing cards but not mini tarot D=  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games