Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply dead threads - do not post
Beauty and the Beast Dilemma Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ranewan

1,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:40 pm
can anyone help me? I was recently thinking about beauty and the beast and the storyline doesn't make sense. Here are my questions?

1. The beast was supposedly turned into a beast 10 years before meeting belle, and the rose was to wilt on his 21st birthday, there for he had to have been 11 when he was turned into a beast.

2.If he was 11, where were his parent?

3. why did all of france forget about him?

4. if he was 11 with no parents, than of course he would be bitter and heartless, and it was cruel of the enchantress to change him into a beast, instead of finding him a loving home.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:30 am
PumpkinQueen101
can anyone help me? I was recently thinking about beauty and the beast and the storyline doesn't make sense. Here are my questions?

1. The beast was supposedly turned into a beast 10 years before meeting belle, and the rose was to wilt on his 21st birthday, there for he had to have been 11 when he was turned into a beast.

2.If he was 11, where were his parent?

3. why did all of france forget about him?

4. if he was 11 with no parents, than of course he would be bitter and heartless, and it was cruel of the enchantress to change him into a beast, instead of finding him a loving home.
User Image

1. I think he was 11 - it's cruel to punish a child in that manner instead of teaching him, I agree

2. His parents are probably dead, since he was king when he was turned.

2. Yeah... that's a big plot hole XD

3. HARRY POTTER WAS A NICE ORPHANED 11-year-old! I think he was spoiled and heartless, because he was a boy and a king - not from being parentless.

User Image

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Lhia Dunwaith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:38 am
Wow... eleven? I gotta agree, that's harsh. Then again, European monarchs were usually out drabbing by that age. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:07 pm
Lhia_Dunwaith
Wow... eleven? I gotta agree, that's harsh. Then again, European monarchs were usually out drabbing by that age. sweatdrop

Drabbing?  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Catherine of Aragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Huh, I never thought about the story like that. Yeah, back in the good old days, children were punished as cruely as adults so it does make sense that a kid was turned into a monster for being mean 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:10 am
what version says that?

it's like a folk story, we could just change parts we don't like.

i enjoy Robin McKinley's original retelling, Beauty. it has none of those quibblesome points.

a lot of it is about her relationship with her father, and not so much about the Beast.  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

Lhia Dunwaith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:01 am
Sita Carew
Lhia_Dunwaith

Drabbing?

Seeing prostitutes.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:45 pm
Lhia_Dunwaith
Sita Carew
Lhia_Dunwaith

Drabbing?

Seeing prostitutes.

...oh sweatdrop  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Aeliara

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:45 pm
This is a translation on the traditional La belle et la bete, which showed up around the 1700's. It's a traditional French fairy tale, as are Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. As such, it's kinda subject to weird variations through time and telling, so it ends up being much different. We're also talking about a time in history where the average lifespan was not so great, so it's possible that 11 was more like 15 or 16.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/beauty.html

As you can see, the original tale doesn't bother itself with ages etc, as it's slightly irrelevant to the basic moral of the story.

The "Disneyfied" versions of the faerie tales usually make the tales more PC and G rated, at least. More frequently, they change everything save for the very basic plot. And we wonder why kids today have no respect. wink

I do wonder at the absolute lack of mothers in most Disney tales, though. Can you name one with a present mother?

Bambi: We all know how that ends...
Sleeping Beauty: Comatose
Little Mermaid: MIA
Snow White: Dead
Cinderella: Dead
Lion King: Just the beginning
Aladdin: MIA for both
Enchanted: MIA
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead

I think the most present mother is that Pegasus in Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony for Fantasia!

...Sorry, that was a bit of a hijack.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 pm
Aeliara

WARNING: This comment has little to do with the actual thread.

The Lion King was based (very, very loosely) off of Shakespeare's Hamlet. That would make Simba's mom Queen Gertrude. For those who don't know Shakespeare... in Hamlet, "Simba's mom" marries "Scar" about two months after "Mufasa"'s death. And she ends up unknowingly poisoning herself.  

Lhia Dunwaith

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:54 pm
Aeliara
This is a translation on the traditional La belle et la bete, which showed up around the 1700's. It's a traditional French fairy tale, as are Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. As such, it's kinda subject to weird variations through time and telling, so it ends up being much different. We're also talking about a time in history where the average lifespan was not so great, so it's possible that 11 was more like 15 or 16.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/beauty.html

As you can see, the original tale doesn't bother itself with ages etc, as it's slightly irrelevant to the basic moral of the story.

The "Disneyfied" versions of the faerie tales usually make the tales more PC and G rated, at least. More frequently, they change everything save for the very basic plot. And we wonder why kids today have no respect. wink

I do wonder at the absolute lack of mothers in most Disney tales, though. Can you name one with a present mother?

Bambi: We all know how that ends...
Sleeping Beauty: Comatose
Little Mermaid: MIA
Snow White: Dead
Cinderella: Dead
Aladdin: MIA for both
Enchanted: MIA
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead

I think the most present mother is that Pegasus in Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony for Fantasia!

...Sorry, that was a bit of a hijack.

that is very interesting!

and you often find foundlings or orphans as the central character too.

my guess is that the kids see it is about them and not somebody else, that they, if they play this role, have to solve their own problems and not cry for help.

in some sense, that seems to be what Spirited Away is all about too, come to consider it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:05 pm
Lhia_Dunwaith
Aeliara

The Lion King was based (very, very loosely) off of Shakespeare's Hamlet. That would make Simba's mom Queen Gertrude. For those who don't know Shakespeare... in Hamlet, "Simba's mom" marries "Scar" about two months after "Mufasa"'s death. And she ends up unknowingly poisoning herself.

Haha, my Comp 2 teacher is having the class write papers on the relationship between Hamlet and the Lion King xd  

Catherine of Aragon

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:38 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
How does it feel to be a puppet on my string?

Perhaps Disney kills off moms because they knows it's a deeply upsetting thing for kids? And that's what makes a good movie - it inspires large feelings.

Just a thought.

User Image
I am hollow... and I will live forever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:48 pm
Catherine of Aragon
Lhia_Dunwaith
Aeliara

Haha, my Comp 2 teacher is having the class write papers on the relationship between Hamlet and the Lion King xd

Beats the essay I'm writing now on how Hamlet relates to the Katy Perry song "Hot N Cold." No joke.  

Lhia Dunwaith

Aeliara

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:17 pm
Lhia_Dunwaith
Aeliara

Seriously??? Oh my gosh, that is made of awesome. Now I have to go watch it and be all Hamlet-y!  
dead threads - do not post

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff