Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Sequels, sequels, and more sequels Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:20 am
Assassins Creed 2
Mass Effect 2
Army of Two: The 40th Day
Bioshock 2
Guild Wars 2
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Starcraft 2

and so on...

So quite a bit of games are getting sequels. Don't get me wrong but i do enjoy these games, but when does it end? I do love more gameplay and more story into the franchises history. Its just i dont want to play <#>: . It just gets kidna ridiculous dont you think?

This just upset me when Epic said there will be a Gears 3 (even though it was obvious) if sales came in. Then they said there will be a Gears 4, 5, 6 if they others keep bring in sales. I mean thats just getting out of hand.

Whats everyone elses opinoin?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:09 am
The problem with that is that when people ask for original series, and that original series gets popular, they're going to want sequels to that original series. Eventually, that series will become 'just another series' and people will want something original that isn't that series while the 'we want new, innovative ideas' group diminishes with a new idea to throw allegiance to in absolute blindness.

Really, I can't say I'm mad at certain series for having sequels. If Metal Gear Solid 2 didn't have a sequel, I would certainly hate Hideo Kojima for ending on... uh... the ending of Metal Gear Solid 2... how am I supposed to describe that? Riiight...

I understand that some series either overstay their welcome (Halo), live and die by sequels (Final Fantasy), or are just in such demand that sequels are nearly required (half of Nintendo's big names). Sometimes series need sequels, sometimes we need original ideas. I find that there's no real reason to complain; if you like something, and it has a sequel, that's cool. If you don't like something, you can bash the sequel to hell and back. If there's an original concept you like, you'll want a sequel. If there's an original concept you hate, you'll ignore its sequel. It's just a cycle; no real reason to vent, IMO. Just relax and wait for Super Mario 64 3... I mean, Super Mario Universe.  

Warped Mr I

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:20 pm
i see nothing wrong, i dont know why im complaining. Im just waiting to see games be branded like Tom Clancy:

its going to be like cars soon, like Ford Mustang xD. like you mentioned Halo and they are releasing Halo: ODST soon. i know im gonna buy it to, to see what its like to fight a brute thru the eyes of a ODST unit. I just dont want to see the counting game like Final Fantasy...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:24 pm
You shouldn't be complaining about Starcraft 2 considering the original came out ten years ago.

I can also see the merit in Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2, continuing/expanding the story set by the original, I think these two games will be different enough from their predecessors that it's not that big of a deal.

However, I do have a feeling that the rest of the list is going to just be more of the first game.  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:43 pm
the only reasons why i picked the games up top is because its what i can think off the top of my head. i didnt pick Starcraft 2 to bash it, it just had a 2 at the end is all.

More original IPs would be appreciated though. EA is the only one pumping them out and i know like everyone else that EA isnt the best publisher in the world.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:45 am
Mario Party 9

Need I say more?  

darkslasherX
Crew

Faded Justice

4,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:13 am
I think usually sequels suck. But sometimes there are sequels that are better than the original. Take Dark Cloud for example. Dark Cloud 1 was a terrible game that was basically a rip-off of Zelda for the PS2. But somehow they had the mentality that a sequel could be made, so they made Dark Cloud 2, which is a pretty good game. Not the best, but still all right.

There are games meant for sequels as some people ahead said, but there are others that are only good for one game, then the storyline will go downhill and stray. Like Assassin's Creed, I think that game isn't suited for a sequel...but you never know. It could be better than the first one. We'll just wait and see.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:33 pm
darkslasherX
Mario Party 9

Need I say more?

nope, that says alot xD  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:37 pm
darkslasherX
Mario Party 9

Need I say more?

No, you're right, the mario party franchise seems to consistently make money, so to not pump out another one every year or so would be a bad move on nintendo's part.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:22 pm
So i just read a another sequel being released but this one is very appreciated. Once i get DRM issues fixed with my 360, i definately picking this one up.

Banjo-Tooie
Release Date 4/29

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:53 pm
I'll be getting that too  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:44 pm
So Capcom is making a come back in my opinion. Anyone with a xbox should at least take a look here.

Dead Rising 2, Lost Planet 2, and more importantly MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 for XBLA and PSN!!!!! 3nodding

Check out vids here: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-2597-Captivate-09-Trailers---Lost-Planet-2--Dark-Void--Plus-Many-More.html

All 3 titles i mentioned are definately on my list. I wouldnt really bother at that Dark Void game. i seriously think they should of sold that to someone like Activision or even EA.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Felix Kristanelo

5,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:45 pm
You wanna know what really grinds my gears? Pokemon and the release of their '3rd version'. That crap just gets on my nerves... You'd think that after the success Crystal and Emerald all that extra goodness would be included in the new set of 2, right? Bah, whatever, hopefully with the release of the DSi Store or whatever it's call GameFreak will be able to release DLC for whatever comes next in the pokemon series.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:48 pm
Felix Kristanelo
Bah, whatever, hopefully with the release of the DSi Store or whatever it's call GameFreak will be able to release DLC for whatever comes next in the pokemon series.

Haha! I wouldnt doubt GameFreak will shovel out DLC for Pokemon. I wouldnt expect it til there are full DSi games out there. So you gotta wait for the next generation of ultra sleek curvy pokemon. rofl  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:47 pm
I don't really see a problem in sequels, as long as they keep the story rolling. I think a game can have as many sequals as it wants, as long as it keeps the play quality and the story good. As for the whole Gears 4, 5, and 6 thing, I don't think they could really come up with another three games worth of story and content without taking a very long time to do so.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff