Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Marching Band no Jutsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:45 pm
We have the biggest instruments.
And we've gotta put some air into them.

And yet we still get crap from directors about our marching!
Baritones- to us there is NO SUCH THING as peripheral vision.
Trombones- we can't do horn flashes and do 8th note runs all over the horn at the same time.
And low clarinets and saxes- Fingerings are probably hard enough without having to move at the same time.

Do your directors jump onto you low winds at every turn?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 pm
Well my problem starts even before we start marching..

My band Director won't let me March with my bass.
First off, I'm 13. My school is small so we have a marching band open to 7-12 grade
The first day of band camp, this girl, my age, really short and small Marched with the bass to try it out one day.
And yet me, the tallest girl in her grade is not allowed to march with bass.
I really don't see why.
Ashton (the really small girl) had No experience at all. She never played it EVER. I actually play it in the High School band now. It bothers me, ALOT. I like bass alot more than my Bb.

-Kangaa
Captain

RAWR I AM A BILL NYE
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:38 pm
I'm not in Marching Band, but on the first day of lessons (When I played Tromboe for Symphonic Band), my BD said my posture wasn't good. ._. We WERE standing, mind you.

8th note runs are hard on Tuba too. I hated it when I had Low G, then higher G (Not the highest G.). -.- It was so stupid!  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:03 am
This is a probably a dumb rant by me, but I've been mad about my Marching problem :/

Here's the thing.

Our Bari-Sax player Graduated. He was Really good. Our Sousa also graduated. So that means we only have a Tenor and Baritone for the low section. My band director said we needed more low instruments. Why not pick me to march? (Bass)

No :/ This one piccolo player wants to play Bari-sax now, and she claims she can be as good as Colt (bari-sax who graduated). So my band director is going to let her practice over the summer and will allow her to start marching. The Bari-Sax is pretty big.. It's probably as tall as her! Does this make any sense?

My Band director will allow a girl with no experience on a Bari-Sax to march, even though it's as tall as her, but not me with Over 4 years experience on Clarinets, and fairly tall? Seriously. What's wrong with this picture?

Also the fact that the really short girl gave bass a shot this year bugs me too.

I've had mixed opinions by my friends. One totally supports me, and is going to fight it at band camp xD She playes Bass with me in Concert band. My other "friend" thinks "Oh she'll get better!! We can't march without a Bari-sax!!!" but I think she is jelous.. because she can't play bass (after various attempts) x3

Sorry to bother you with my dumb story, but what do you think about this? It's been bothering me. I had to get it out x3

-Kangaa
Captain

RAWR I AM A BILL NYE
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:35 pm
No offense and all, but I personally think that Piccolo player will have a harder time adjusting to a reed instrument. I play Piccolo too, and I can never make a sound out of a Clarinet. User Image

Well, all I can say is, say "If so and so can march Bari sax, can't I march with Bass Clarinet?" Offer to take summer lessons, and prove it to your director you CAN do it. :3  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:07 pm
Posting again for my marching Problem. Final answer : No.

Apperently none of the basses "work" when mine plays perfectly fine. The bari-sax player sucks...so that's not really making a noise. xP My BD also said it wasn't a good idea?

The Bari-Sax player actually wanted me to play WITH her because she was having trouble tounging, probably causing her terrible playing (i'm being truthful). Yet again I got a No from my BD. I'm not understanding what's wrong with a marching bass. Even Bubbles, My bass buddy has been convincing. "A Bass could be so cool in this song" -cough cough- xD

Well. That's what my marching status is. Eh :/

-Kangaa
Captain

MyriadOfChaos

Hygienic Raider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:36 pm
My Band Directors constantly argueing with me about my marching and i gotta play a trombone.
Its hard hitting the lines when you otta focus on where your slide is so i mess up a bit and he still rags me about it.
he argues while were at attention caus ei cant stop shkaing when i gotta hold up a big instrument that sticks 2 feet outwards
Band directors are harsh but you gotta give them props too  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:14 pm
Fluorescent Hallucination
Posting again for my marching Problem. Final answer : No.

Apperently none of the basses "work" when mine plays perfectly fine. The bari-sax player sucks...so that's not really making a noise. xP My BD also said it wasn't a good idea?

The Bari-Sax player actually wanted me to play WITH her because she was having trouble tounging, probably causing her terrible playing (i'm being truthful). Yet again I got a No from my BD. I'm not understanding what's wrong with a marching bass. Even Bubbles, My bass buddy has been convincing. "A Bass could be so cool in this song" -cough cough- xD

Well. That's what my marching status is. Eh :/

Basses are very cool. :3 But that's besides the point.

Do you have just one BD or? (I have two.) If you have two, the other one.

Bloodhound:
They probably make things that make it lighter, like braces/etc,..  

RAWR I AM A BILL NYE
Vice Captain

-Kangaa
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:47 am
RAWR I AM A BILL NYE

I have one. Some graduated marchers always come and help with the formations. So it's like having 4 O:

But the main BD said no.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:26 am
bleh my band director always argues about me making noise when i havnt been playing for long yet i played flute for 5 years ._. and then he says i should be more like the tuba player who played flute yet is younger then me and didnt play flute for that long. then theres marching, its always like 'drums keep the beat' and march correctly..and were doing our best on our what felt like 30th time ._.0 then its the thing with the captains/non captains but seniors of the band trying to tell me how to do it right when more the one is telling me to what the other person is telling me not to do T.T i swear it can sux sooo badly sometimes. concert band is alright much better since we dont run around all the time.  

Melody the Music Mistress

Trickie Trombone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:19 am
our director always says one more time then we keep doing it over at least 3 more times. he always would get on us for not holding our insturments high enough  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:50 pm
Trickie Trombone
our director always says one more time then we keep doing it over at least 3 more times. he always would get on us for not holding our insturments high enough

In Jazz band, my BD would always nag me and Andy for not holding our trombones high enough. ._.'  

RAWR I AM A BILL NYE
Vice Captain

XPosersKilledItX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:54 pm
-Kangaa
RAWR I AM A BILL NYE

I have one. Some graduated marchers always come and help with the formations. So it's like having 4 O:

But the main BD said no.

We aren't allowedto have people who graduated come back and help because a school near ours did that and they made cookies for the band members with exlax in them. The whole band got really sick too. :X  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:34 am
My band director is makeing us change how we carry our horns when their down so when im holding my trombone now it feels like my wrist is going to snap.

And to make it worse hes changeing the way we marched last year since hes new hes trying new stuff and alot of people are mad abotu it and he gets mad at the trombones cause the new horn position is not only throwing us off but it makes it harder to do certain face movements.

Low Brass has it the hardest but were the best of the best  

MyriadOfChaos

Hygienic Raider

wispsofdarkness

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:43 pm
our BD is like evil when it comes to marching. We have to like twist alll the way around while at horns up and playing the main melody of phantom of the opera lol  
Low Section Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff