Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia for everyone who wanto learn about Islam! Or for those muslims who wanto meet muslims. Or if u wanna have fun!!!! 

Tags: Muslim, Islam, Religion, Islamic, United 

Reply General Debate Forum
What is wrong with "polytheism"? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

divineseraph

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:12 am
I hear a lot against polytheists according to islam, but why is this the case? Is God not infinite in nature? And if so, is it not possible for God to have infinite faces?

What is wrong with people separating the parts of God into multiple faces, firstly?

Secondly, did you know that almost all "polytheistic" religions consider their many gods part of the one true creator? We see this in Aton in Atonism, in Brahma/Brahman in Hinduism. So instead of simply God, they have the part of God that makes light, the part of God that moves rivers, the part of God that moves the earth and so forth.

Rather than finding differences in people who see God in a slightly different way, shouldn't we join together with them and accept their views of the divine?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 am
Because as far as we're concerned, it only takes the one God to do all of these things, he encompases all in the universe in his oneness. smile
There's a lecture by Dr. Zakir Naik that explained it a lot better, he said that the main difference between the polytheism beleif and monotheism is that in polytheism, all is gods, the trees are beleived to be gods the rocks etc, but in monotheism everyithing is god's, I'll see if I can't find the lecture and post the link on here smile  

crazyleochic

crazyleochic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:09 am
http://www.ahya.org/amm/modules.php?name=Lectures&d_op=viewdownload2&cid=2

There you go!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:50 pm
crazyleochic
Because as far as we're concerned, it only takes the one God to do all of these things, he encompases all in the universe in his oneness. smile
There's a lecture by Dr. Zakir Naik that explained it a lot better, he said that the main difference between the polytheism beleif and monotheism is that in polytheism, all is gods, the trees are beleived to be gods the rocks etc, but in monotheism everyithing is god's, I'll see if I can't find the lecture and post the link on here smile

Yes, but why is it specifically wrong to consider each of God's actions as a separate face? Do you believe that God exists in all things, as all things came from God? As such, does it not make sense for all things to carry some form of divinity? This does not make all things individual gods, but accepting that all things have a piece of God is pretty close to polytheism, especially when you consider that the Brahman is the ultimate universal power in Hinduism, and is said to be all things. The only significant difference is the wording used.  

divineseraph

Geek Zombie

6,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:04 am
divineseraph
Yes, but why is it specifically wrong to consider each of God's actions as a separate face?

come again.

divineseraph
Do you believe that God exists in all things, as all things came from God?

No there is only one God and that has created all things.

divineseraph

As such, does it not make sense for all things to carry some form of divinity?

No that does not makes sense at all to me, but the word you are using is more of that which makes me think it does not makes sense "devinity" human beings are divine among other creatures but not 'divine'
and so applies to other things.

divineseraph
This does not make all things individual gods, but accepting that all things have a piece of God is pretty close to polytheism, especially when you consider that the Brahman is the ultimate universal power in Hinduism, and is said to be all things. The only significant difference is the wording used.

wait 'that all things have a piece of God' Islam does not say that.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 am
God is not present in all things? That's not very omnipotent, if you ask me.  

divineseraph

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:46 am
divineseraph
I never really got why Islam is so angry about polytheism. =/ It's not like Muhammad didn't start out as a polytheist. And much of Islam's concepts come from polytheist origins, including the name "Allah".

I mean, Christ, even Judiasim and Christianity have pagan roots. It doesn't demean the religion any more unless a religion is taking active steps to squash anyone who happens to be a polytheist. Whatever happened to the "respect our roots" sort of thing? People respect their ancestors, but they can't respect the ancestral roots of their faith?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:23 am
Slick Southpaw
divineseraph
I never really got why Islam is so angry about polytheism. =/ It's not like Muhammad didn't start out as a polytheist. And much of Islam's concepts come from polytheist origins, including the name "Allah".

how?  

Geek Zombie

6,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:10 am
tassan
Slick Southpaw
divineseraph

how?
What do you mean? Do you want me to provide proof that your prophet used to be a polytheist? Or are you asking for proof about Allah being a pagan name or why I think Muslims have an issue with polytheism?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:06 pm
Slick Southpaw
tassan
Slick Southpaw
divineseraph

how?
What do you mean? Do you want me to provide proof that your prophet used to be a polytheist? Or are you asking for proof about Allah being a pagan name or why I think Muslims have an issue with polytheism?

How "Allah" itself is polytheistic?  

Geek Zombie

6,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:17 pm
tassan
Slick Southpaw
tassan
Slick Southpaw
divineseraph

how?

Allah is the name of a god worshiped before Islam was established. He was a powerful god, and throughout Arabia people worshiped trees and springs and certain stones as a testament to his power. He was a diety that had 3 daughters. Their names were Manat, Al-Uzza, and Al-lat.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:29 am
That's another god.

That's the same as just saying god... God and Allah means the same.

And we ain't worshipping the name!  

The_Pathan
Captain

Geek Zombie

6,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:05 am
Slick Southpaw
tassan
Slick Southpaw
tassan
Slick Southpaw
divineseraph

how?

Allah is the name of a god worshiped before Islam was established. He was a powerful god, and throughout Arabia people worshiped trees and springs and certain stones as a testament to his power. He was a diety that had 3 daughters. Their names were Manat, Al-Uzza, and Al-lat.

Can you give a little more brief explanation and links with more info about it?

EDIT: Allah is not a NAME it means "ONE GOD" saying one god is same as Allah therefore my one god has no name he is only one.

Name is only given to PEOPLE to differentiate between them and identify them. While there is only ONE GOD so there is not need to 'differentiate' because he has not parallel.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:37 am
tassan
Slick Southpaw
tassan
Slick Southpaw
tassan

how?

Can you give a little more brief explanation and links with more info about it?

EDIT: Allah is not a NAME it means "ONE GOD" saying one god is same as Allah therefore my one god has no name he is only one.

Name is only given to PEOPLE to differentiate between them and identify them. While there is only ONE GOD so there is not need to 'differentiate' because he has not parallel.

P:
Allah was the head god of local deities. Muhammad is a reformer, all he did was take pagan roots modify it
I'm only citing one source right now, because there are many links inside this web page that talks about the historical existence of Allah.

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

crazyleochic

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:04 am
The fact is Allah dosen't need a 'face' everything belongs to him, everything is dependant upon him, seriously listen to Dr. Zakir Naik's lecture on God's presence in Major world religions and you will understand I promise you. And Dr. Naik gives plenty of refrences throughout his talk.  
General Debate Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff