Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Let's rush over to Texas. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:36 pm
On Wednesday there were large protests against large taxes nation wide. The governor of Texas claimed that Texas has a good economy, has plenty of jobs, has good education, and is suggesting that Texas secede from the U.S.

That's how the Civil War pretty much started. People assumed it was not constitutional to secede. Apparently Texas was an independent nation before joining the union. When they joined they were given the ability to secede if they so chose.

Border patrol might be an issue though. Apparently Texas spends what the Federal government gives them as well as something like $112 million a year for border patrol. If they secede the Federal government will not send them money lessening their fund AND they will have to secure the rest of the border to keep illegal Americans out. Then again as an independent nation they could decide to execute illegal aliens on sight. mrgreen

Texas seems pretty pro gun. This might actually be a pretty good idea. The only thing that I don't like is how hot it is in Texas. I'm a cool Oregon weather kind of person. gonk

Anyway what do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:45 pm
I can get to Texas in like... an hour. Hmmm...  

ArmasTermin

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:03 pm
About the only significant advantages to living in Texas beyond their pro-gun laws are the state sales tax and zero personal income taxes. Their property taxes are not all that great unless you're into agriculture. Same holds true for their yearly car license tax (as bad as California!).

Overall, the best state to retreat to (and the most realistic to secede from the US) is Alaska. Cheapest state to live in as far as the government goes. Granted everything else costs way too much, including propane and electricity. Food transportation costs are almost as bad as to Hawaii.

Somehow I doubt any sane state government body will risk going things alone again. Even with a dozen states of a like mind, none will be in strong enough position to dig their way out of the resentment the rest of the world would level on them. No Second Civil War. This war will be fought with money and influence.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
The only thing that I don't like is how hot it is in Texas. I'm a cool Oregon weather kind of person. gonk
I live in the ******** Valley of the Sunstroke and I think Texas is too hot. You guys can keep your humidity, dry heat is where it's at.

100° + 90% humidity >> 115° + 15% humidity.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:34 pm
Most of the year our weather is 75 or less. My main problem with where I live in the Willamette valley is the rain. Our "rainy" season is some 8 months of the year.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:27 am
Most likely, the border policy would be almost the same as our policy with Canada, except the Mexico border wink  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:07 am
Oh no, let's not listen to the Texan who's been telling us to do this for the past 2 years. Nah, we'll just ignore him until we really need to go down there...

Yes, Texas was it's own nation (Hence, the "Lone-Star" State) and withholds the right to succeed from the Union. Just about anyone who lives here will tell that we should have done this a long time ago.

The thing about Texas is that depending on where you live it may be moderate year round, to BLAZING HOT year round. but if you live in the Houston. However, as Fresnel so eloquently put it, it isn't the heat that kills you in Texas, it's the humidity.

For you climate picky people, here's a guide to Texas temperatures.
http://web2.iadfw.net/danb1/climate.htm  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:27 am
Freak_090
Oh no, let's not listen to the Texan who's been telling us to do this for the past 2 years. Nah, we'll just ignore him until we really need to go down there...
Damn the temperatures, I want a humidity guide! Which, coincidentally, I didn't see there.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:37 am
Fresnel
Freak_090
Damn the temperatures, I want a humidity guide! Which, coincidentally, I didn't see there.

Here you go, but note: This is a current map and we just got hit hard by a 3 hour storm.
http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/texas/relative-humidity/  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:57 am
I honestly can't see this as a good move.  

Sergeant CJ

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:15 am
Sergeant CJ
I honestly can't see this as a good move.

And why is this?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:21 am
Yeah, it's hot in Texas.
But it could be 110 degrees, but as long as the humidity isn't high up, I could tolerate it.
Also I think the deer are smaller there.

Also, why do you think that Texas would hate having illegal Americans?
The illegal Americans coming in would undoubtedly have the same values, you know, pro gun, religion blah blah blah.

Also, if Texas was a seperate nation they'd be able to handle the Mexican border differently.
But not without hounding from, well, the US.

If I had to go anywhere in Texas it'd probably be in the Continental Steppe.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:36 am
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

Here you go, but note: This is a current map and we just got hit hard by a 3 hour storm.
http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/texas/relative-humidity/
Bluh, New Mexican border or nothing, man. 100% humidity in the East? That should never happen, even if it IS raining.

Oh yeah, you guys get hurricanes and tornadoes, don't you?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:42 am
Fresnel
Bluh, New Mexican border or nothing, man. 100% humidity in the East? That should never happen, even if it IS raining.

I've heard NM pretty much has the worst border patrol in the U.S.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:52 am
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel

I've heard NM pretty much has the worst border patrol in the U.S.
I meant NM-TX border.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces