Scared of catching it?
  psh, no.
  oh god, yes
  catching what?
View Results

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:07 pm
When my step-dad first mentioned it I thought he was kidding.

What does everyone think?

Reason or panic or just making a mountain out of a molehill?

Jesus Christ though, if people panic I will be pissed. My mother is paranoid enough as is. She say the story on the news just now and demanded to know if any of my friends were showing flu-like symptoms and told me to wash my hands if I was near any of them.

If you don't know what it is then these articles should help. It is a strain of the flu that broke out in Mexico that has so far claimed 150. It's symptoms so far are like the flu.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:54 pm
Talk has been going on about it here in Ohio since there have been some cases. I however am not paniced.  

0Moon_Maiden0

Andy _1134

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:13 pm
Well I noticed all races have a Animal Diseases
China-bird flu
Mexico-Swin flu
America- mad cow disease
kinda odd no?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Andy _1134
China-bird flu
Mexico-Swin flu
America- mad cow disease
kinda odd no?

....Actually, I'm pretty sure the mad cow scare originated from Britain.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Evil Pillows

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:35 pm
The only reason people are panicking is because the media is blowing it way out of proportion. The Swine Flu is completely treatable, and so long as you keep yourself healthy and go see a doctor if you are coming down with any flu-like symptoms, you'll be fine. The only difference is that this strand of the virus can be passed on to through humans instead of just pigs.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:40 am
Zizzykitty
Andy _1134
China-bird flu
Mexico-Swin flu
America- mad cow disease
kinda odd no?

Yea but we seem to have more of it then they do for some reason.  

Andy _1134

Fate-J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:42 am
my people here are being quite cautious about it, taking precautions and stuff x.x  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:40 am
Andy _1134
Zizzykitty
Andy _1134
China-bird flu
Mexico-Swin flu
America- mad cow disease
kinda odd no?

Yea but we seem to have more of it then they do for some reason.

As far as I can tell we've had very few cases on mad cow in the US though. The UK had an epedemic on cows a couple years ago.

Atleast that's what I'm getting from the very quick google search I did on "mad cow in US".

@Evil Pillows
I completely agree.
I think it's a big overreaction.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:37 am
Zizzykitty
Andy _1134
China-bird flu
Mexico-Swin flu
America- mad cow disease
kinda odd no?

Yep we've had mad cow more than once i think. I remember there were a lot of places in the countryside you weren't allowed to walk in, and big news storie sof all the poor farmers who had to incinerate their entire livestock.
People were proper flipping out and started ot buy French Beed. Now you know if a british person chooses a french product that isn't cheese or booze out fo preference, you've got a problem *nods*

[no offense to any french ppl btw :3 ]

I tend to ignore scares like this. You get one every bloody year. If it becomes a direct threat take precautions by all means, but don't spazz out about it - crikey...
Most fo teh people who die are in direct (as in poop and stuff) contact with the livestock anyway.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:27 pm
0Moon_Maiden0
Talk has been going on about it here in Ohio since there have been some cases. I however am not paniced.

What's scary is this school in Ohio, near where I live was infested. They had to shut down that school to clean it up and make sure it was safe.  

Death Shikaku

Flyentologist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:57 pm
The only animal-related virus I can remember actually becoming a pandemic is the bubonic plague.

This one shouldn't be an issue. It's like bird flu. People started dying from it, and the whole country freaked for about a week or so. And now, you don't hear about it anymore. This one, like every other incident, will probably fade into obscurity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:35 pm
Yeah. I think people always blow it out of proportion.

My anatomy teacher talked about it a bit today and he made a good point. Mexico is where most, if not all, of the people have died from the swine flu. No offense to mexicans but there aren't so many easily accesible good hospitals in Mexico so it would make sense that people there are dying.

That is kind of scary though Death. That would make me nervous.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:18 am
Just today my mom warned me about and said that it already went to Delaware. I'm not worried about it but my mom said you can die within 70 something hours? I'm still not worried about it but my mom's like "no outside food!" "Always be sure to wash your hands!" (not that I don't before I eat anyways).
It's not really that bad is it? I heard it hit Delaware already so it's closer to us now. I also thought that the media was just blowing it out of proportion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:39 am
Moonlight_HuangHou
Just today my mom warned me about and said that it already went to Delaware. I'm not worried about it but my mom said you can die within 70 something hours? I'm still not worried about it but my mom's like "no outside food!" "Always be sure to wash your hands!" (not that I don't before I eat anyways).
It's not really that bad is it? I heard it hit Delaware already so it's closer to us now. I also thought that the media was just blowing it out of proportion.

Bullshit.

You don't die within 70 hours. The swine flu is not much worse than a regular flu. If you do catch it then get to a hospital within 48 hours of catching it and they'll give you a medecine to prevent you from getting any worse. You won't get immediately better but you won't get worse.

You won't get it from eating pig either. The only way you'd get it from food is if someone with it sneezed on your food, like a regular flu.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:14 pm
I just thought I'd update a bit of new information and some more facts on the "crisis".

We've got the first confirmed case in Nevada. Atleast it's not in my city yet.

This article states the case found in Reno and the person is recovering fine. It also says that so far there have been 91 cases and in one of those 91 cases is a death.

US deaths: 1
Mexico's deaths: 159+

And this article states that the death toll is dropping now that we know what it is and how to treat it.
So the big deal of "ohmygod! 150 people have died so far and there's still more!" appears to be a moot point now since the people were:
1. Not able to get to a hospital for treatment since it was in Mexico.
2. Didn't know what it was yet.
They now know how to slow the process of the virus down at the very least so it won't kill you and now the information is known so people know to go to the hospital if they feel ill and flu-like symptoms.

Here is something random. If you're going to wear a mask to avoid the disease you may as well have fun with it, right?
My favorite is the mustache one.  
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces