Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Say Yes to the Dress - "Wiccan" Wedding? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:10 pm
Now, they didn't actually show the wedding, since it's not until next May, but on Say Yes to the Dress (a bridal store show), a woman came in looking for a dress for her "Wiccan wedding." I think you would call it a handfasting if you were Wiccan, wouldn't you? Not that I'm an expert on that, but... Anyway, so she goes on to say that it's going to be a "Wiccan fairy-themed wedding", so she needs fairy wings to match the dress. Just a tad odd, but hell it's her day. I hope they'll show the wedding when she comes back for her dress next year; I want to laugh at her if she isn't actually Wiccan. The only thing she disclosed about Wicca was that it was a nature-based religion. I think she said something else, but I don't think it was a clue as to whether she was Wiccan or not. But I would think you would mention like, the founder of it, since I'm sure that's gotta be important. XD

Thoughts on the matter?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:14 pm
I've heard of people mixing a handfasting with a traditional wedding ceremony, so that may be why she called it that. If I'm not mistaken she mentioned that her family wasn't Wiccan (although I forget what exactly she said they were).

It could also be that she did mention the founder, or other such important things, but that they cut it out for time or something. Plus, I've never seen anyone else come on that show and explain their religion, so why should she have to?  

dark_angel_32189

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:27 pm
I dunno, I'm just quick to think that anyone who says they're Wiccan on TV is not actually Wiccan (without giving enough information), especially after so many people claiming to be so for publicity. My guess is that she might be using the term incorrectly, as so many people do.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:03 pm
Maybe the groom is Wiccan?  

meow_musicbox

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:43 pm
UGH.

I'm so sick of weddings (not to rant at you of course wink )

I kind of agree in that I don't understand why she would want to disclose the religious nature of her wedding. She could've just said "I'm having a fantasy-themed wedding" or something. And it's not like a "Pagan wedding dress" is going to really differ from any other dress; it's not like they keep them listed in sections by that xd

Kind of sounds a bit like attention-whoring to me, TBH.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:41 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

And it's not like a "Pagan wedding dress" is going to really differ from any other dress; it's not like they keep them listed in sections by that xd

Kind of sounds a bit like attention-whoring to me, TBH.

lol, so true xd  

whiporwill-o

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:18 am
I agree with Violet on this one. I really think that this lady is just looking for attention. It strikes me as either that or she is misinformed. Mainly because she referred to Wicca as a nature religion. It's possible that she practices some form of eclectic witchcraft that she thinks is Wicca.

That said, my husband and I added a handfasting to our christian wedding. My mother was against it from the beginning, and I didn't even call it by that name, but the minister she picked out was OK with it and the rest of my family and all of his family loved the idea, so we got to do it anyway. My mother did surprise me a bit though, she took her ribbon and used it as a boarder around our wedding photo that she has up in the living room eek  
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:05 pm
Shearaha
That said, my husband and I added a handfasting to our christian wedding. My mother was against it from the beginning, and I didn't even call it by that name, but the minister she picked out was OK with it and the rest of my family and all of his family loved the idea, so we got to do it anyway. My mother did surprise me a bit though, she took her ribbon and used it as a boarder around our wedding photo that she has up in the living room eek

I'm sorry your mom was against it from the get-go. But that is a cute thing she did with the ribbon and your wedding photo!!

If my honey and I ever get married, I'd like to incorporate some Norse elements to the ceremony. Perhaps an exchange of keys (given to the wife from the husband) and a sword (given to the husband from the wife) alongside the exchange of rings. Don't think I'd wear traditional garb though; I want a pretty white dress xd .
If anyone is interested at taking a peek, this page lists some Asatru wedding traditions.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:31 pm
The woman with the dress is attention whoring.

As far as the Asatru wedding traditions, I like the key/sword exchange. I wouldn't wear the traditional dress though. xp  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:30 am
Quote:
Like almost all weddings, garb for the wedding party is an important part of the festivities. The bride will often wear a reconstructed viking women's dress with over-apron and twin turtle brooches, and the groom a tunic and trews. The bride often wears an amber necklace, representing Freyja's tears, and the man wearing a token of his faith such as a thorrshammar or valknut pendant.

I bet if you had the right person make it, you could have a very traditional dress that was awesome in it's own right. If you did it in whites and cream colors with gold accents or something, and used really nice fabrics.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:50 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
Shearaha

I'm sorry your mom was against it from the get-go. But that is a cute thing she did with the ribbon and your wedding photo!!

If my honey and I ever get married, I'd like to incorporate some Norse elements to the ceremony. Perhaps an exchange of keys (given to the wife from the husband) and a sword (given to the husband from the wife) alongside the exchange of rings. Don't think I'd wear traditional garb though; I want a pretty white dress xd .
If anyone is interested at taking a peek, this page lists some Asatru wedding traditions.

She was against it because I told her it was a pre-christian cerimony that we were adapting. It was really nice. We had four ribbons of diffrent colors that each represented something different that we were tied together with. Then my husband and I seperated out the braid and presented one ribon to each set of parents and grandparents. Part of the cerimony is that if we ever wish to separate we have to get those ribbons back. His grandparents have been married for 50-60 years, not sure how long exactly. And both of our parents are still married. So we'd have to give them some pretty good reasons in order to retrieve those ribbons.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:44 pm
So kind of related to the topic.

I'm asking more so those in the guild that are married already and who incorporated elements of their respective path into their ceremony....(hopefully this question makes sense)...but how did you deal with those who attended the ceremony who were previously unaware of your religious persuasion? I mean, was there a negative surprised reaction? Or were guests more or less kind of okay with it since hey, it was your Day?

Or even if you're not married and can offer insight as to how one would deal with this kind of thing that'd be welcome as well.

Sorry if this is an odd question sweatdrop .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:05 am
To be honest, other then my husband and our friends, I don't think that anyone there was aware that we aren't Christian. We had a mainly Christian wedding, my mother wouldn't recognize anything else, a Christian minister, Christian-esque music, the traditional cake and dancing. We had a short explination of our ribbon cerimony, but even that we tried to keep in Christian-like terms. My mother still doesn't know that I'm not Christian, hopefully that's something that I can just keep from her until she passes. My mother is not very open and would cut me off from the rest of my family and I don't want that.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:07 pm
Ive noticed that wiccan brides wear a red and white dress.  

eartha oak

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:22 pm
Shearaha
To be honest, other then my husband and our friends, I don't think that anyone there was aware that we aren't Christian. We had a mainly Christian wedding, my mother wouldn't recognize anything else, a Christian minister, Christian-esque music, the traditional cake and dancing. We had a short explination of our ribbon cerimony, but even that we tried to keep in Christian-like terms. My mother still doesn't know that I'm not Christian, hopefully that's something that I can just keep from her until she passes. My mother is not very open and would cut me off from the rest of my family and I don't want that.

Ah I see 3nodding .
We're in the same boat in that neither of us are Christian (he's irreligious), and we'd of course keep some of the regular wedding traditions sans the Christian prayers and scripture readings. And my honey doesn't seem opposed to the Heathen elements.

I don't know. We're in this weird kind of wedding limbo where we'd really like a "proper" wedding ceremony and reception, but as more time goes by it's looking like we'll just have to go to the court house. And I'm mostly okay with that. But then there's that little part of me that wants the whole wedding sha-bang that I've dreamed about since I was knee-high sweatdrop . Sorry to ramble.

eartha: Oh really? Where have you seen/heard that at?
I personally have been looking into white and violet/plum colored dresses whee  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games