Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Balancing Grammar and Respect Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cerulean Crayon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:27 am
I may be relatively new to Gaia, but I have seen many so-called "Grammar Nazis" in that time. I also saw one self-proclaimed "Grammer Nazi," who I laughed at. I think there needs to be some recognition of the right to type as one pleases. I myself wish to grow up to be a proofreader, but not everyone so willingly embraces the principles of the English language.

Here's my question, in simple terms: how do you balance your need to see good grammar and respect?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:50 pm
Well, I usually just try to set a good example by making sure mine's good, and sometimes right the correct spelling of something they mispelled in their post, along with my response.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Cerulean Crayon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:31 pm
Yeah, writing the correct spelling might work, if they notice it.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:37 pm
Welcome to 3G!

I believe you are very correct about there being a need for respect. That's why one of the rules in this guild is to respect each other and also learn from each other. I definitely don't believe in nagging because using force and hassling people usually has the opposite of the intended effect.

I try to set the proper example, and when I quote posts and reply in PMs, I send back a correct version for the person to learn from. I think that even if they don't notice right away, they'll pick it up subconsciously.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

~prize_in_the_box~

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:37 pm
I try my best to just have good grammar...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:09 pm
I know my spelling is never absolutely perfect, and I normally ignore the proper way of grammar. Though I have an excuse I English is not my first language. For when I am corrected I know that it dose help me a lot. Don't know about the rest of them, but I take it as constructive criticism.

(( I use a word program to make shore its correct. ))

Samaura

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:12 am
Trying your best and learning from your mistakes is what counts. I make no claim to perfection myself, but I always try to be the best that I can be.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:56 pm
Shinobi 1977
I try to set the proper example, and when I quote posts and reply in PMs, I send back a correct version for the person to learn from. I think that even if they don't notice right away, they'll pick it up subconsciously.

I absolutely do that too! When I quote someone, I will just almost reflexively correct their spelling errors, and in places like IMDB, I will edit errors out of the thread titles as well, just to prevent it from continuing forward through other posts.

It's really hard to politely tell someone that they are wrong, particularly in situations and conversations where tensions are high from the main purpose of the discussion being a debate. It bothers me when I see people say things like "Your argument is invalid because you formulated that sentence incorrectly!", but I will point out consistent errors tactfully.

Also, a lot of people are online whose first language is not English, and they will often request assistance (and I can usually tell, in which case if, for example, someone wants feedback on a fanfic and their grammar is atrocious or nonexistant, if certain words are misused in a consistent manner, that is one of my very first questions), which I always gladly and kindly give, and also defend them from other people ridiculing them.  

i_heart_ron

Myriane

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:52 pm
Samaura
I know my spelling is never absolutely perfect, and I normally ignore the proper way of grammar. Though I have an excuse, English is not my first language. For when I am corrected I know that it dose (does) help me a lot. Don't know about the rest of them, but I take it as constructive criticism.

(( I use a word program to make shore(SURE) it(')s correct. ))

Sorry, I just had to point out your errors, and for your information, English is my second language and I try to write it as flawlessly as I can. I'm not flaming you or anything, just pointing out my point of view.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:13 am
Yeah, I always try to use good grammar. The only things I miss is caps sometimes. I never really misspell on purpose. The only things i misspell on purpose is specific things like About; I put Aboot most of the time when speaking to someone.

The only Internet Acronyms I use are brb and lol sometimes. Because outside Ha there really isnt a way to express laughter without sounding kinda prissy, ect. "I found that rather amusing." "That was delightfully funny" "Indeed humorous."  

TeccaN9nja

-M- Mellolicious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:05 pm
TeccaN9nja
Yeah, I always try to use good grammar. The only things I miss is caps sometimes. I never really misspell on purpose. The only things i misspell on purpose is specific things like About; I put Aboot most of the time when speaking to someone.

The only Internet Acronyms I use are brb and lol sometimes. Because outside Ha there really isnt a way to express laughter without sounding kinda prissy, ect. "I found that rather amusing." "That was delightfully funny" "Indeed humorous."

You could use "XD." o_O It annoys me when people say "Lol" or "Ha." <_<; I don't know why. It just does.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:22 pm
If I spell anything incorrectly it is generally due to typing error, which, if I spot, I will correct. If I'm not sure how to spell the word in question however I will mark it with (sp?). I will correct any horribly mispelt words, or incorrect sentances in other peoples posts, but I tollerate a certain level of incorrect grammar, it would get pretty silly otherwise.  

Realization

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:50 pm
Just don't even try to correct those who do it purposely. Get to the moderates, and don't flame people for bad grammar/ mispellings.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:23 pm
My friends know that I love grammar; they wouldn't be my friends if they minded it. I correct people sometimes by habit, but I try not to do it ad nauseum(sp?). I really can't help it sometimes, though. To anyone who hates me because of it, Fatue te ipsum. (Latin for "go ******** yourself")  

Holy Hydroxide

Fashionable Genius

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:56 pm
I am not a grammar "nazi", in the sense, I do not SEARCH for spelling mistakes to blame people on. But if I'm in an ED topic, and someone comes in with an ultra retarded post, where half the spelling and grammar is not even comprehendable, I can't take them seriously. And I let them know, sometimes politely, sometimes, a bit harshly, if they're making fools of the human race. But besides that, no. I am not a nazi.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff