Submit

Which one?
  Laser Sights
  Point Sights
  Iron Sights - ******** batteries
View Results

Anima_Raptor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:29 pm
So, here's the question; You manage to survive the first few hours of Z-Day, and along your travels you pass by the nearest Walmart/Hunting supply store/Armory for some tactical supplies. Along the way you find some high quality rail mounted laser sights, and also some nice Red Dots or ACOG's.

The problem is, you only find the batteries needed for either or, and you have to choose which ones to take with you.

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:34 pm
Laser. If batteries run out I can switch to irons without problem, but with a red dot scope, if the batteries fail I have to take the whole thing off or even replace it with regular sights to get back in the fight. Not my idea of fun.  

ArmasTermin

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:46 pm
ArmasTermin
Laser. If batteries run out I can switch to irons without problem, but with a red dot scope, if the batteries fail I have to take the whole thing off or even replace it with regular sights to get back in the fight. Not my idea of fun.

Same here, as long as its a high visibility green laser  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:42 am
Sgt Buckner
ArmasTermin

Same here, as long as its a high visibility green laser

Interesting, i was expecting more people to lean towards the Dot sights. I figured since using a rail mounted targeting device like that forces you to shoulder the weapon and put alot more focus on the target then what a laser would do, since you could get lazy and try to shoot from the hip.

Then again, you're right about the laser and it not getting in the way if the batts go out  

Anima_Raptor

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:57 am
I have to go with the laser for the above reasons as well.

Also, I'm kind of on the fence about red dot scopes since I actually hit more accurately with iron sights for some reason.  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:43 am
I'm gonna have to go with the ACOG here. A good ACOG has a wide FOV and doesn't get in the way of the iron sights either. It allows for a quick snap shot and doesn't require the same level of target awareness a laser does. You don't have to look and find your laser on the target, you have to find the target on your red dot. And the target is much easier to find than a tiny little dot on a moving target..  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:38 pm
Fresnel
I'm gonna have to go with the ACOG here. A good ACOG has a wide FOV and doesn't get in the way of the iron sights either. It allows for a quick snap shot and doesn't require the same level of target awareness a laser does. You don't have to look and find your laser on the target, you have to find the target on your red dot. And the target is much easier to find than a tiny little dot on a moving target..

I have to disagree with this. Lasers and red-dot optics are pretty similar in what they do--putting a red dot on the target. Just in one case the dot is extendeed to the target and in one it's superimposed over the image of the target. But this still forces sight alignment. And sight alignment is primarily there because it's the best way to line up eye-rear sight-front sight-target. With a laser that's not necessary and lets you use techniques not otherwise possible. And although I prefer red dot optics to standard iron-sights on a base level, they don't actually improve that much of the rifle's effectiveness.*

*That being said, I do like red dot optics. I just don't prefer them to lasers.

Wait, wait, wait. Are we talking guns in general or rifles? Cause if it's rifles I'll take the red dot sights, just because I'd still use the stock for a reliable shooting platform and the red dot would be more in place than a laser sight. For pistol, though, hands down the laser. Shotgun... uh... red dot again.  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:42 pm
ArmasTermin
Wait, wait, wait. Are we talking guns in general or rifles? Cause if it's rifles I'll take the red dot sights, just because I'd still use the stock for a reliable shooting platform and the red dot would be more in place than a laser sight. For pistol, though, hands down the laser. Shotgun... uh... red dot again.
I was assuming long gun. I'd go with red dot on a pistol too though, but only because through some miracle of modern science a red dot makes me stop instinctively jerking the trigger. I have no idea how, but I swear it works. I can't shoot worth a damn with iron sights on a pistol.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

The Iron Sponge

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:16 am
b***h, I'LL USE ALL OF THEM

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Then I'll hit up the nearest Costco for a 100-pack of Kirkland batteries.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:23 am
I wonder how many holsters accommodate for an attached laser or light.
Or scope even.  

Barru

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:41 am
Barru
Or scope even.
High-quality pistol reflex sights replace the rear sight, or sit just in front of it.

Most holsters don't come up that far.

My girlfriend tried one on a G17LC and was trying to line up the red dot with the front sight. xd  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:18 pm
Fresnel
Barru
Or scope even.
High-quality pistol reflex sights replace the rear sight, or sit just in front of it.

My girlfriend tried one on a G17LC and was trying to line up the red dot with the front sight. xd

I think there was one of those on the pistol in the Area-51 game.

I made a thread about that gun and the 10mm's badassitude some time ago.  

ArmasTermin

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:47 am
Fresnel
Barru
Or scope even.

Oh really? Dang. Those look really small though.
They're battery powered right? Damn, I can't imagine how you'd find a lot of those small batteries. You'd have to hit up places with Pharmacies to get those. That is if they use the hearing aid type batts.

Is there a holster for that?  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:21 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Barru
Or scope even.

Oh really? Dang. Those look really small though.
They're battery powered right? Damn, I can't imagine how you'd find a lot of those small batteries. You'd have to hit up places with Pharmacies to get those. That is if they use the hearing aid type batts.

Is there a holster for that?
Yeah, the downside is that you need to get your slide machined to cut out a mount for the sight. I got to shoot the same G17LC, and by GOD that's a wonderful sight. It did seem to be pointing extremely high for some reason, but I guess you don't mess with success.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:59 pm
So I saw Trijicon's pistol reflex sights today. They have two models: one is fiber-optic, and I thought it was rather poor because the glass was highly reflective from BOTH sides, and the amber dot was dim. Not only could you not see the dot, you couldn't see the target. The other one, however, runs off a standard CR2032 watch battery and has a constant-on life of TWO YEARS (17,000 hours). It was nice and bright and impressively small. I'd take it over a laser any day. The best part is that it just slides into the rear-sight dovetail of most pistols, and there's other mounts for shotguns, or even as a back-up sight on top of a Trijicon ACOG.  
Zombies. Seriously.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff