Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:21 pm
So I was watching the movie the other day, and I took a look at the rifles they were using.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It struck me that every part of that design is fully operational. That's a Ruger AC556 (select-fire Mini-14), bullpupped, and stuck in a heavily modified shell. On the front... that's an Ithaca M37. This is an excellent combined-arms weapon and I'm actually wondering why the military's never taken a look at this. I mean, yeah, they should probably close up the ejection port some and slap a dust cover on it, and they'll have to modify it to work with STANAG magazines, maybe slap some Picatinny rails on it, but other than that this would be a wonderful rifle that might even topple the mighty M16. It might not be more reliable, but it's got a SHOTGUN.  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:23 pm
Yeah, that would be pretty sweet.

Shotgun as an integrated accessory?

Awesomeness.

Is it just me or does the grip pattern and design remind me of an MG34?

Shouldn't be too difficult to change the sights on it, or make it possible to add a rail.
Cut down the, well, carrying handle so it's lower and replace it with a rail.

Also, if you use small optics, like an ACOG, there should be enough rail left to still use it as a handle.

May want to steal the bolt design from the SIG 55x.
I'm having trouble figuring out how you'll put a dust cover on that.

Or maybe I'm just talking out my a**.  

OberFeldwebel

Anima_Raptor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:06 pm
Because not every soldier in the armed forces is a door breaching pointman XP

The idea of having a nice looking rifle/shotgun combo is a great idea, i must admit. Hey, if the Helghast could do it, why not us?

Thing i, im sure that this thinng would weigh a ********. The thing looks as long as an M60, and im sure with all the weight of the extra mechanics, barrel and slug ammo its carrying, the solider would have a 'mega heavy assault' title.

Against bugs? f*ck ya, I'd want one, but i think this weapon would be overkill to a Muslim foot soldier.  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:06 pm
Anima_Raptor

The idea of having a nice looking rifle/shotgun combo is a great idea, i must admit. Hey, if the Helghast could do it, why not us?

Thing i, im sure that this thinng would weigh a ********. The thing looks as long as an M60, and im sure with all the weight of the extra mechanics, barrel and slug ammo its carrying, the solider would have a 'mega heavy assault' title.

Against bugs? f*ck ya, I'd want one, but i think this weapon would be overkill to a Muslim foot soldier.

New class of firearm.

Heavy Assault Rifle.  

OberFeldwebel

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:55 pm
The magazine appears to be a STANAG magazine like those used in M16/AR15s  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:40 am
I know we're supposed to be all badass and s**t; but honestly, I'd rather not carry the unneeded bulk and weight of something like that. I spent enough time as a SAW gunner to appreciate the light weight and compactness of my M4 now that I' once again a rifleman. It may not be the ultimate do-it-all urban combat tool, but then again why would we need one? Our team leader has a Mossberg 500 jammed into his Camelbak pouch, which can be readily deployed if door breaching becomes a necessity.  

Hydraulic Fluid

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:42 pm
Anima_Raptor
But they easily could be. Redundancy, y'know?

Quote:
Well, do realize it's a movie prop. A lot of the inside is dead space with nothing in it, existing only to make the gun look cool. I bet 25% of the bulk of the weapon could be cut off with little difficulty.

Also worthy of note, that barrel is ******** LONG. That's probably a 30+ inch barrel. You can see the beginning of it in the action door there, and the end pokes out the front. I'd be willing to bet this rifle could, with the right 5.56 ammo, push 1000 yards effective range as a DMR.

Quote:
The magazine appears to be a STANAG magazine like those used in M16/AR15s
It's a Mini-14. It's close to a STANAG, but it's not.  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:29 pm
I just remembered, there are new HE grenade rounds for shotguns biggrin

I was trying to think of a design in my head that was similar to this, to replace the M16/M203 platform  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:24 pm
So basically you've got a standard infantry rifle, door-breacher, close-quarters beast, and effective as a mid-range sniper rifle all rolled into one.

It'll never sell.

xd  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:48 pm
To Hydraulic Fluid:

Yeah, thats where I was getting at. These days, the lighter your gear is, the better, and if you have 60lbs of armor, electronics, ammo and other crap, you wouldnt want a gun that big and heavy to carry around. Rifles like the the garand dont work these days anymore as an infantry rifle, cuz you dont need all of the that weight to club a guy with.

To Fresnel:

Despite the cosmetics, im sure that thing would still weigh more then an M60, simply because of the length of the barrel and the shotgun attachment. In other words, you have a single man rifle with the weight class of a two man operated weapon.

To OberFeldwebel:

I'll take some cybernetic arm implants first XD

To ArmasTermin:

Maybe Skynet would consider the design XP  

Anima_Raptor

Hydraulic Fluid

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:12 am
ArmasTermin
So basically you've got a standard infantry rifle, door-breacher, close-quarters beast, and effective as a mid-range sniper rifle all rolled into one.

It'll never sell.

xd

How exactly do you plan on using this monstrosity for CQC? Granted, I've seen what SAWs can do during clearance operations, and it's pretty sweet, but using this gargantuan atrocity (which looks like it might actually be longer and heavier than a 240B) to perform a dynamic entry and clear a house? It would be like using a toaster to cook eggs.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:54 am
Hydraulic Fluid
ArmasTermin

It'll never sell.

xd

How exactly do you plan on using this monstrosity for CQC? Granted, I've seen what SAWs can do during clearance operations, and it's pretty sweet, but using this gargantuan atrocity (which looks like it might actually be longer and heavier than a 240B) to perform a dynamic entry and clear a house? It would be like using a toaster to cook eggs.
It's perfectly possible to cook eggs in a toaster oven, and in small quantities, more efficient than a full-sized oven.

Here's a picture for scale. They don't look any bigger than an M16.

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Hydraulic Fluid

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:33 pm
Fresnel
Hydraulic Fluid
ArmasTermin

It'll never sell.

xd

It's perfectly possible to cook eggs in a toaster oven, and in small quantities, more efficient than a full-sized oven.

That looks at least twice as massive as an M16, maybe not in length, but in sheer size and bulk, most definitely. I've had to use an M16A4 for CQC, albeit only in training, and I can tell you I much prefer the M4. That thing is going to weigh at least 15 lbs, there's really no way around that. I don't see what role it could fit, especially in an urban environment. Our "door breachers" are always the last man in the stack. That usually ends up being our SAW gunners, at least upon initial entry; and they are consequently the last ones to enter the room. It doesn't make sense to bring a weapon of that size into a confined space and try to maneuver around in a cramped and potentially hostile environment. And this thing doesn't even have the fire power of a 249, so I really can't see the point. I don't see how you gain an advantage over an M203 mounted onto an M4 with an over-sized weapon and a shotgun.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:09 pm
Hydraulic Fluid
Fresnel
Hydraulic Fluid
ArmasTermin

It'll never sell.

xd

That looks at least twice as massive as an M16, maybe not in length, but in sheer size and bulk, most definitely. I've had to use an M16A4 for CQC, albeit only in training, and I can tell you I much prefer the M4. That thing is going to weigh at least 15 lbs, there's really no way around that. I don't see what role it could fit, especially in an urban environment. Our "door breachers" are always the last man in the stack. That usually ends up being our SAW gunners, at least upon initial entry; and they are consequently the last ones to enter the room. It doesn't make sense to bring a weapon of that size into a confined space and try to maneuver around in a cramped and potentially hostile environment. And this thing doesn't even have the fire power of a 249, so I really can't see the point. I don't see how you gain an advantage over an M203 mounted onto an M4 with an over-sized weapon and a shotgun.

Again, agreed. Those things are way bigger then an M-4 even in length.

Like I said before, this is a great anti-giant ******** bug weapon, since its outdoor combat and you'll need the firepower to kill them effectively, but this weapon would in no way be used indoors against people. It's just not practical.  

Anima_Raptor

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces