Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Bethesda is officially stupid. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:50 am
I don't recall tron posting this anywhere, but it has been announced by BethSoft and Zenimax that they're making two more DLCs for Fallout 3.

The first of which is "Point Lookout" where the player will be transported to a "spooky" swamp forest that has been heavily mutated. Whatever, no big deal, Operation Anchorage was pretty dumb so this can't be worse.

BUT.

They also announced another DLC following that called "Mothership Zeta". Remember the random ecounter you could get in FO1 as an easter egg with the mot powerful gun in the game, and the little crash site that was a homage to that in FO3? Turns out Bethesda has decided that's actually part of the plot, and not just for a little amusement in an otherwise dark and depressing game (FO1 that is, FO3 is very funny).

In Mothership Zeta, you get abducted by those aliens, because "they're back and they're angry". Ok. What? These guys are given the definitive video game post apocalyptic world, so they fill it with computer simulations, giant robots, and now alien invasions.

Also, I wanted to point out that when all of these DLCs are out, the combined cost will be 50$, which is around the cost of the game used I believe. Considering each DLC takes around 3-4 hours max (unless Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta take longer, doubtful since one is just an abduction), that means it should only take the average player 15-18 hours or so to complete the additional content created by each game. That's opposed to the 40++ hours it takes to do every little thing in the main game. Kind of a rip off imo.

Don't even get me started on how they're trying to prevent Interplay from making a Fallout MMO, even after when Iplay sold the property to Bethesda all Iplay asked was the rights to resell the old fallouts, and to make a Fallout MMO.

At least Beth is letting Obsidian make Fallout: Las Vegas.  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:15 pm
Yeah, the whole alien abduction things seems like kinda a weird idea.....don't really know what to say more than that.

It is also a shame that Bethesda is freaking out over the Fallout MMO (something about Interplay breaching their contract from the last I heard). I think they just need to let it be; they're making more than enough money off Fallout 3 right now anyway.  

Haratio TaFotter

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:54 pm
This article presents a lot of the facts:

http://www.angry-gamers.net/game-articles/ps3-articles/bethesda-robbing-interplay.htm  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:07 pm
Before i post my arguement, id like to take notice to this
nitnit
I don't recall tron posting this anywhere.

It took a long time before i got recognition in this guild and now i have it! As Bethesda Informer! lol dramallama

nitnit

Don't even get me started on how they're trying to prevent Interplay from making a Fallout MMO, even after when Iplay sold the property to Bethesda all Iplay asked was the rights to resell the old fallouts, and to make a Fallout MMO.

Ok! Well as i recall, Interplay got out of debt by selling the Fallout IP to Bethesda. The Fallout MMO was another thing that landed them in debt as well, and now they are trying to do it again? They also try to resell a Fallout trilogy at Best Buy and im not sure if thats going so hot.

Interplay is nowhere financially to make a MMO. I mean, who is going to publish it? Interplay might as well be a subdeveloper of Bethesda.

And for the DLC stuff. People are asking for it. Its just business supply and demand. Someone probably complained/wanted a alien bit cause of the crashed alien site. As for the gameplay content. Hit games like Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3's campaigns are roughly 15 hours. And since DLC is completely optional from the actual core experience. There is no need to bash it xp .

I haven't bought any DLC yet, but i may consider it. Im thinking probably only the first 2. I doubt i would buy them all.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:15 pm
First of all, Interplay is still in debt, so they really need a smaaaash hit like a Fallout MMO. Yes, I know that interplay needed the money, and while I may not like the direction Beth took the Fallout story, I agree that it was necessary for Interplay to sell the property. HOWEVER the fact that Bethesda is fighting the one little thing they agreed to allow Interplay to do is selfish and greedy.

Also wanted to point out that Bethesda has the Elder Scrolls universe which is, in my opinion, a much better suited place to host an MMO. Why would a barren wasteland have thousands of powerful adventurers? Individuals like the Vault Dweller, Chosen One, and Lone Wanderer are supposed to be extremely rare and far flung. At least the universe of TES is supposed to be full of powerful heroes and villains. Not to mention some of the best moments of all three fallout games are being alone in a barren wasteland, not in a group of players raiding super mutants. So yes, I think the concept of a Fallout MMO is stupid, regardless of the developer.

That aside, Interplay teamed up with Masthead studios from Bulgaria for financing - they have the money to make it, and the future of the company is pretty much resting on the success of this, and rereleasing old games.

Also, why are you defending the DLCs when you've never played them? They're short, and Operation Anchorage wasn't even good (The Pitt was above average, had potential for greatness but was rushed). Call of Duty and Halo have extensive multiplayer modes, Fallout does not. One of the reasons why Fallout 3 was worth the price tag was how huge the gameworld is. What I'm saying is that it's bullshit that Bethesda is releasing DLCs that are inferior in both quality and quantity compared to the main game.

I want you to consider something; some of the greatest moments in all three Fallout games are being alone in the barren wastes, and then being ambushed by a dangerous group of foes. (this was diminished by FO3 being so easy, but regardless). Every DLC has been a non-stop action packed adventure. The Pitt's adventure actually had a story to it, but it's still straight forward action. My point is that, if Bethesda released a nice big addon to the game, with new enemies that are more original than Albino Scorpions, Enclave with new armor, and Ghouls with armor stare they they probably wouldn't be getting so much flak from me and other gamers who value story more than "holy s**t this gun fires 8 mini nukes"

Now, before you randomly say "how are they inferior" - compared to the sidequests of FO3, the quests presented in OA and the pitt are poorly designed. Each DLC has been rushed - the main game took them about 3 years to design, each DLC has been taking them a few months max to make. The main game offers 40+ hours for 50$, each DLC offers 4-5 hours for 10$. Do some basic math. For a dollar to hour of gameplay amount, the DLCs are a rip off.

If one person complains that Bethesda should make a giant nuka cola monster and have liberty prime battle it, does that mean they should make that? No. It doesn't. Mothership Zeta doesn't fit in with the Fallout world at all. The alien crash site was a homage to the random encounter in FO1, and random encounters are non-canon, something confirmed by the creators. If Bethesda wants to make a bunch of stupid DLCs that could make sense with the story, the fine more power to them if they can sucker people like me into buying them XD but making Aliens a canonical part of the Fallout universe is just stupid.

TL;DR: No one should make a fallout MMO, but it's still dumb that Bethesda is so greedy. The DLCs suck, and you shouldn't defend them if you've never played them - and the reason why I'm so angry about the alien one is that aliens playing a canonical role in the fallout mythos is the most damaging thing Bethesda has done to the IP.  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:43 am
You made several good points i can't argue about. I know i haven't played any of the DLC, i can't rightfully have an opinion on it. If your complaining about Bethesda milking people out of money im not suprised. I mean in ES4 theres Horse Armor for $2.50 lol. Other than that, I do agree Bethesda should put more time into the DLC and release something like Shivering Isles for Fallout 3.

And as for a Nuka Cola Robot vs Liberty Prime... that would be kinda awesome for the little kid in me who loves things like Transformers lol. 3nodding

I guess you will just have to wait to see if the aliens are true canon. They may not be but it might be something different they want to try. And we can't completely blame Bethesda. As i see it, Zenimax is partial to blame for this DLC since they are working on it. If it is crap, i would say Zenimax is a crappy company and Bethesda should of just cancelled the extra content.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:12 pm
Yeah, I guess I should retract my original statement. Business wise, Bethesda/Zenimax are actually very intelligent, and if they keep it up they could find themselves as the next big name in game development/publishing.

But from the perspective of someone who values keeping the integrity of a game's incredible lore over some money, I hate them. XD

Though, I guess we should thank them for the fun found in FO3, and for contracting obsidian for fallout: las vegas.  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:54 am
I can garuntee Fallout: Las Vegas will have just as much DLC like FO3. I am curious where Bethesda would like to take the franchise afterwards. I also wonder if a variation of the VATS system will show up in Elder Scrolls 5.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:46 pm
VATS in TES:V? I think I'd lose all faith in Western RPG's if that happened.

And as for the DLC, PS3 owners can look forward to getting it at long last. GOTY edition ftw?

Which brings up the argument of whether or not companies "beta test" on the Xbox 360 as an exclusive, fix the problems, and then port it to the PS3. Cases in point: FO3 DLC and Tales of Vesperia.  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:41 pm
Fallout GoTY? Not happening right now xp the DLC content will be on a disc. Maybe when all DLC is finalized it will be in one super package of 70 ish $$$.

As for VATS in TES: V, i think it would make things a little different but not better. I think if they add weapon stances and be able to control your magic to extent(taking all this from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic) would make things ALOT more interesting.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:35 am
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/05/19/more-dlc-on-the-way-coming-to-ps3-too/

GotY edition is october 1st, and the DLC is coming out for the PS3 starting end of Juneish

Also Pathetic_negi_magician, Bethesda isn't all Western RPGs, even if they are in position to become the next massive RPG developer out here.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:58 pm
nitnit

Also Pathetic_negi_magician, Bethesda isn't all Western RPGs, even if they are in position to become the next massive RPG developer out here.

I know that, but still... Bethesda made the first WRPG I ever played. To lose faith in them now would at least alter my views on WRPGs.  

pathetic_negi_magician

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 pm
Try out some real WRPGs, like Fallout 1, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate. Oh shi- those are all from the same developer =O  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:48 pm
Those are some nice titles from Interplay but i think they should be a sub developer under Bethesda, only for financial reasons of course. I mean they can work on the franchise they sold to Bethesda if they did that. I think Bethesda has done enough with FO3 and should put their spark on something else now.

As for some real WRPGs? How about give these a try: Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, KOTOR2, and Mass Effect. These too are from the same developer 3nodding  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:49 pm
Interplay can die for all I care. The only good things they really did were Black Island Studios (sub developer who made those games), and Earthworm Jim I guess.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff