Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
What is going on at VALVe? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What should valve do?
  Just work on the half-life series
  Continue with what there doing
View Results

Puflwiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:05 pm
Instead of just making things simpler and coming out with updates for
Left 4 Dead they decide to make a Left 4 Dead 2! I would rather them just taking the maps (dont care about everything else) and put them as a DLC.

Also left 4 Dead wasnt even out for a year yet. its way to early!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:40 pm
Yeah, I don't even own the game and I'm calling bullshit on this one. Usually valve is a really good company, I don't know if they feel like Left4Dead really needs a melee system and gameplay upgrades, or if they just want money more easily.

Assuming it's the latter, I don't know what's worse, releasing an entirely new game without updating the old one where a lot of fans were waiting for more content, pulling a Bethesda and releasing 5 DLC packs that equal the original in price but 1/3rd in length, or pulling a microsoft/bungie and charging for maps (which is bull on its own) then giving said maps away as a way to sell their new modified campaign of an older game. OR, pulling an EA and releasing only a mediocre selection of items in a game (sims 2/3) then releasing a bunch of overpriced expansions (sims 2) or overpriced DLC (sims 3) to have as much content as the game should have initially.

God damn big game companies.  

nitnit
Captain

Dopahkiin

Lonely Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:52 pm
I have to say I HATE the idea of dlc. Paying 60$ for an INCOMPLETE GAME? Then paying MORE money later for content that should have been included in the first place (see RE5)? They're doing it on purpose, too! I can understand with a complete game that they want to expand, there are man hours and lots of work that need to be payed for. But things that are created ahead of time and then released later is just stupid.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:08 pm
I didn't mind the RE5 multiplayer pack as much as say, the SF4 costumes or Operation Anchorage/The Pitt for Fallout 3. The costumes were overpriced for something that I bet was in the game, but capcom got greedy and wanted more profit. The multiplayer pack was only 5 dollars, and if you really like the play modes offered you can play it for as many hours on end as you wish. I'd believe it if Capcom said they didn't have time to develop it before releasing RE5, graphically it's an extremely polished and good looking game. OA/The Pitt only takes like 4 hours, are 10$ each and the only way you could play through it again (if you wanted to for whatever reason) is on a new character...  

nitnit
Captain

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:55 am
It feels like just about everything in that trailer should be DLC.....I don't know, I think what people wanted out of Valve was Half Life 2 Episode 3, and what they got was L4D 2: in essence, people came for an all-you-can-eat steak buffet, and what they got was some rotten lettuce and a moldy piece of bread, but slightly less rotten and slightly less moldy than what they got last time. I guess they think that there's still money to be gotten out of it, and almost everyone I know is pumped for L4D 2. Well, there's always next year.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:10 pm
I dont mind Valve releasing L4D 2. I want L4D and now it should go lower in price xd . I do take sides with people who say Valve should release new maps and maybe a new mode or 2. But i think L4D 2 might have been a better choice to give the game a facelift and more strategy to it. Plus another 1000 achievements to earn.

As for a game being shipped incomplete? The games were never imcomplete to begin with. DLC is just added play time to a game. I recommend only to get DLC if you enjoy the game alot and want to venture into some new content in your game. RE5 is a perfectly solid game without the Versus multiplayer.

(Edit: As for a side note, map packs are to go free after 6+ months of release. Thats what the policy, if i recall correctly. The only one to follows it faithfully i think its Gears of War 1 and 2. Im not sure if Halo 3's Legendary maps are free yet? I guess ill go check later.)  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:35 pm
Achievements are fun and all, but it's really no excuse for them to release a new game so soon. Like I said, the only real reason I can think of is if they add significant improvements to the game's core play that are unable to be added with DLC.

In the case of SF4, the extra costumes really were intentionally left out. They released the costumes for DLC as soon as the game was out, and they don't add play time, they just let you customize the appearance of your fighter a little bit.

Also, when I bought the legendary map pack about a month ago I think it was not free. The heroic one was though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:18 pm
thats a good point o_o  

Puflwiz

yeahime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:16 pm
nitnit
In the case of SF4, the extra costumes really were intentionally left out. They released the costumes for DLC as soon as the game was out, and they don't add play time, they just let you customize the appearance of your fighter a little bit.

I was under the impression that the costumes were in fact on the disc, the DLC was little more than an unlock code. I don't have any proof of this other than that people who have the game claim they can see the costumes on other people without downloading the DLC, suggesting the data is there.

As for Left 4 Dead 2, from what I hear, the upgrades are significant, and those who have gotten to play it are happy with it. I don't think the new upgraded AI director (which can dynamically alter levels, as opposed to just zombie placement) could really be included in any DLC. Also, according to Valve, they're still going to release more DLC for L4D, and it seems to me they have a history of making sure their DLC is free. It may be the Valve fanboy in me talking, but I want to believe that they're the same top quality company I always thought them to be.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:12 pm
Yeah, this seemed uncharacteristic of Valve, I usually viewed them as one of the better game companies.

As for SF4, you can see other player's costume's without the DLC, but I assumed that had something to do with their game transmitting it - though now I think about it that does make little to no sense. It's probably on the disk and you unlock it by paying, or it came with the initial update for when you first put the game in (and you unlock via paying).

Also, something that's made me anti xbox 360 / microsoft video game division - I recently learned that you have to be connected to live to play any arcade game or DLC that YOU PAID FOR. Also, my friend showed to me and confirmed that if you download something that's totally free, you don't have to be connected to XBL, but if you pay for it, you have to be connected to live. Imo, that kind of promotes piracy, since there are work arounds to that.  

nitnit
Captain

Puflwiz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:16 pm
lol i swear that kind of messed up if you buy a game you should be able to play it whenever you want  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:24 am
In my opinion i think all support valve talked about is now only going to be for L4D 2. Why would you want to add support to a game thats not as good or has much content compared to a new one thats developed?

L4D 2's graphics are kick a**, melee weapons added to the bunch, the tank wears overalls (... lol), and 4 different survivors to use. I mean who knows, the last 4 survivors may get a revamped make over and be free characters.

As long as the content is free, im pretty sure no one will care 3nodding . Unless they are customers still waiting for Half Life 2: Episode 3 to see the conclusion.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Puflwiz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:31 am
That would be me.... i am not a patient person and i love valve..... not a very good combination .......  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 pm
okay ppl i have to totally disagree with most of you because i own left 4 dead and it was a great game i believe that valve has done a wonderful thing here they took there new gained expierence from the first one and made it even more kick a** becase the melee weapons are gonna be great and also paying for an incomplete game that is just retarded i mean really now vavle has made a great choice!  

ibystander

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:44 am
I'm guessing your parents buy your games right? Paying 60 bucks after a year and a half for the next game is kind of painful.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff