Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RavenMasen15

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:40 pm
In my class there are 5 girls and 8 guys. 3 girls(including me) have read the twilight series and sometimes bring it up. one day in english class, we were discussing types of books and twilight came up. the guys start complaining, saying that twilight is retarded. I start to preach(i'm a bit touchy when it comes to unbiased opinions) tellling them that they shouldn't bash something they haven't read. SO we start to discuss the twilight issue. and the guys put out that they can't actually relate to the books because they're from a girl's point of view.

This actually makes sense. Could the constant bashing of Twilight by guys be because the books are from a girl's point of view? I want girls' and Guys' opinions on this theory and your possible reason for liking/disliking Twilight. I really want to know.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:13 pm
because Twilight is a sappy, romance novel basically written for herself, but became popular anyways... guys tend to not like that, well unless they're gay usually.

I think a lot more guys like Harry Potter than Twilight. I don't bring up Twilight at work as most people hate the novels... and only see the movie because it was better than the book.
(yes I sound offensive... but I'm speaking on how i feel and what I've heard others say. I love the plot line to the novels... it just could have been written 10x's better than it was, it was written more as something you'd read on fanfiction.net than an actual novel)  

_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_

Shameless Elder

18,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:11 pm
Truthfully speaking, I've never actually heard any guys bashing the novels. I actually don't hear a lot of criticism towards the books. People just keep it to themselves here. (Maybe that's why I don't understand why people are so fed up with seeing Twilight everywhere. That just doesn't happen here. There is little Twilight merchandise and little overall advertising, plus no one really talks about it non stop (Maybe it's because we don't have Hot Topic . . .)).

I think they just don't read it because it's a romance. It doesn't especially appeal to the male gender. HOWEVER, my next door neighbour, who is like 40 and builds motorcycles and teaches welding at the local Technology Institute, loves the books. He finished Eclipse and then put Breaking Dawn on his wife's to do list the next morning saying she 'had to get it!'.

It's all personal preference, and if people don't like it or don't want to read it, that's their business. Even if their hate is based on preconceived notions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:05 pm
In my class, almost all the boys were reading the Twilight books and my really good friend thats a guy read all of them and him, my friends(mostly all girls) and me would be able to discuss the books because he too is really upsessed with them!!!  

karaboo1997

yukkeh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:32 pm
I hate it because its everywhere; I used to like it until it got all this publicizing from the movie and whatnot. Now that I read it [when I'm not so totally fangirlish], I see that its not that great.

...maybe its the thought about getting "swept off your feet by a handsome vampire" is what gets to girls.

I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:17 am
W A C K F A C E
I hate it because its everywhere; I used to like it until it got all this publicizing from the movie and whatnot. Now that I read it [when I'm not so totally fangirlish], I see that its not that great.

...maybe its the thought about getting "swept off your feet by a handsome vampire" is what gets to girls.

I don't know.

maybe. But it's not the "being swept off your feet by a vampire" that get to girls; it's the love between two beings. Bella and Edward's love is something that doesn't even exist in this world(if it does, it's in remote places like Alaska, no pun intended). Most of the guys here(no offense to nice guys) act like they're the boss or gangster or stuff like that. For girls who read Twilight, there isn't an actual decent guy that even resembles Edward's character.(Then again, he was born in 1901.)  

RavenMasen15

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200

The Kraken

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:46 pm
I really think that it's because many girls would rather read about Edward than spend time with their boyfriend.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:52 pm
Raven_Striker_13
W A C K F A C E

I don't know.

maybe. But it's not the "being swept off your feet by a vampire" that get to girls; it's the love between two beings. Bella and Edward's love is something that doesn't even exist in this world(if it does, it's in remote places like Alaska, no pun intended). Most of the guys here(no offense to nice guys) act like they're the boss or gangster or stuff like that. For girls who read Twilight, there isn't an actual decent guy that even resembles Edward's character.(Then again, he was born in 1901.)

I really like what you're saying here (although we are getting a wee bit off topic). The Twilight book represent something that's hard to find; a decent man. When Bella describes Edward, each of our minds create their own image of 'the prefect man', they represent something that is unreachable. It's not the love story that draws us, it's not the writing, it's not the beautiful love between two beings, it's the image of someone perfect. Someone that can never truly exist. Our minds create this man, the image of perfection unique to each of us, and it draws us in. It fills a 'void', I guess we'll call it, that we feel. The Twilight books give us something that we can never have; the feeling of a prefect man. And that's what draws us in.

.Bucket.of.Joy.

RavenMasen15

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 pm
.Bucket.of.Joy.
Raven_Striker_13
W A C K F A C E

I don't know.

I really like what you're saying here (although we are getting a wee bit off topic). The Twilight book represent something that's hard to find; a decent man. When Bella describes Edward, each of our minds create their own image of 'the prefect man', they represent something that is unreachable. It's not the love story that draws us, it's not the writing, it's not the beautiful love between two beings, it's the image of someone perfect. Someone that can never truly exist. Our minds create this man, the image of perfection unique to each of us, and it draws us in. It fills a 'void', I guess we'll call it, that we feel. The Twilight books give us something that we can never have; the feeling of a prefect man. And that's what draws us in.

1st: you're right, we're getting off topic. pm me from now on.

2nd: that's exactly what i'm saying. since twilight describes a "perfect man" from a woman's point of view, there's no way a guy could relate(unless he's gay, no offense intended). Only midnight sun(coming out soon!) could interest guys, cause it's from edward's point of view about how he doesn't want to kill bella.

your take?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:43 pm
I've had some of my male friends say they hate Twilight because:

'every girl that reads Twilight up's her standards on how she wants her guy'...And I've seen it happen a few times sweatdrop , in conversations with my friends that 'Edward is the ideal boyfriend.' 'I want my next boyfriend to have qualities like him...maybe play the piano...' It's very scary to watch that.... sweatdrop  

Claire_Hiwatari

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

xXTwilight4LifeXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:06 pm
Personally, (being a guy that loves Twilight), I have seen that the main reason that other guys bash on it is because it's a sappy romance thing. The guys in my grade (7th) haven't reached a level of maturity to appreciate good romance novels, like I have. Right now, at 12 or 13, they're all about the sports magazines and the action books...

I also have a couple of guy friends (including my best friend since 3rd grade), read all of them.... Then say they hated them because they thought that guys shouldn't like them.

And let me tell you, the girls at my school love that I'm like that. They like a guy that can like that stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:29 am
xXTwilight4LifeXx
Personally, (being a guy that loves Twilight), I have seen that the main reason that other guys bash on it is because it's a sappy romance thing. The guys in my grade (7th) haven't reached a level of maturity to appreciate good romance novels, like I have. Right now, at 12 or 13, they're all about the sports magazines and the action books...

I also have a couple of guy friends (including my best friend since 3rd grade), read all of them.... Then say they hated them because they thought that guys shouldn't like them.

And let me tell you, the girls at my school love that I'm like that. They like a guy that can like that stuff.

first of all, it's good to meet a guy that likes twilight
second, i'm in 8th grade and i know guys in my class and in high school who bash twilight. when do you think guys could actually be mature enough to appreciate the love story within the sci-fi?  

RavenMasen15

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Bubblie-san

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:29 pm
its very easy to understand why guys hate twilight - and it does have something to do w/ it being from a girls point of view.

in the series, a boy falls in love w/ a rather UNattractive girl who is nothing special, except she smells good.

Now, girls love attention (forgive my generalization) and dream that the most attractive boys will love them for who they are. Meanwhile, men (i think) want attractive girls - not ones that solely smell good

... at least this is what i think surprised does it make sense??

(btw, girls SHOULD have high standards for men ... i know i mine are surprised )  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:02 pm
Funnyy , most of the criticism I hear is about how "gay" Edward Cullen is ..
And yes , I mean the term homosexual .
Everything guys criticize about the book is usually about Robert Pattinson or Edward Cullen saying how stupid he is .
They're just jealous that a fictional character can get girls faster than them , haha .
But in all seriousness , the "sparkling" thing makes them laugh hard .

mrstodayy

haloeclipse270

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:17 pm
I've had boy friends that have read the book and still didn't like it. I think becasue it is a romance novel and most of the time we girls like reading that type of stuff (from time to time)
Quite normal behavior to me...

ZZZ--_--  
Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas