Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
DUbblecoMB Video Game Reviews: [PROTOTYPE] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dopahkiin

Lonely Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:32 pm
Alright, quick review time, just got to let you know.

I got this game at gamestop yesterday and I haven't stopped playing it since. It takes the best elements of super hero gaming and sandbox gaming and puts them together. It's almost like a beautiful blend of Assassin's Creed, Spiderman 2, and Grand Theft Auto 4.
It features something like Assassin's Creed's incredible stealth gameplay, as you sneak your way into military compounds and around the city, avoiding the military using the ability to absorb anybody you like into your body and then take on their appearance at will. However, you can only hold one identity at a time and it's always your most consumed person, so if you're trying to look like an army person, but you're spotted, shot at, and escape will little health you'll want to recharge it. However, if you recharge your health the quickest way is to absorb people but that takes away your military disguise and you have to repeat the process.
From Spiderman 2 (one of the best movie licensed games of all time) it draws the incredible super powered free roam ability. While we all had fun swinging around the city in spiderman, you'll have just as much fun sprinting, jumping, and gliding around the city. Once you master your abilities you can cross the entire city in about a minute or so (and the city is massive, but not completely overwhelming). Just like in spiderman 2 there are an incredible amount of new combat moves to unlock and buy as well, meaning that as the game continues the combat deepens and becomes more fun. However, on the bad side the glide ability isn't available at first, but once you get that and double boost ability getting around becomes super easy! Also, as you go on new combat moves become more expensive and getting points to buy them can become a bit of a chore.
From GTA4 the game draws the incredibly sharp and realistic look, while still maintaining a video game-ish exterior. Also, the incredible amount of blood and gore, which is incredibly well done. That's about it... Great sandbox gameplay. Anywhere, anytime, great environments.

I didn't really go into depth about gameplay or anything... SO heregoes. Tight controls, though you can get hung up on objects at points... Nothing is out of reach, sky is the limit. And you really get to put ALL of your power to use. Great, in depth plot. Well written, though voice acting can be a bit meh...

Overall, I'd say BUY IT! At least rent it... Give it a shot for sure. This game takes all of the best elements from games of its genre in the past, and puts them together to make something original and awesome.

That's all for now!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:59 pm
Thanks for the review!

I will say though, if you're a big fan of spiderman 2, and this game is like spiderman 2 + GTA4, then I'm probably going to stay away, or maybe, maybe gamefly it  

nitnit
Captain

Dopahkiin

Lonely Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:27 pm
What are you talking about? The incredibly fast-paced fun-filled time spent swinging around new york in spiderman 2 mixed with the adult, bloody, do whatever attitude of GTA 4? This game nailed it perfect!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:12 am
Other than the city slinging, spider man 2 was a pretty generic beat em up action game. Usually not my type  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:47 am
nitnit
I'm too deep for this s**t. I never even played Spiderman 2 either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:00 am
nitnit
Other than the city slinging, spider man 2 was a pretty generic beat em up action game. Usually not my type

Castle crashers, golden axe, battletoads, THOSE were beat 'em ups. Spiderman 2 featured and incredible number of unlockable moves and abilities, and is probably the best movie licensed game since Batman back on the NES. Incredibly smooth combat, and completely original and revamped from the game before it. Although it did get repetitive over time, I still play this game every now and then.  

Dopahkiin

Lonely Conversationalist

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:22 am
JONNNN - Wrong, I have played spider man 2. I played it for about 20 minutes and got bored. And yes, I do prefer games with more depth.

Dubbleco - On that list I only like battletoads arcade, because it's so ridiculous. I own and have played castle crashers, and I don't really like it all too much, it's just decent when you have a couple friends playing too.

Like I've said. If you like mindless beat em ups, from what I understand, this game is great. If you don't like that, then this probably isn't for you.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:20 am
nitnit
JONNNN - Wrong, I have played spider man 2. I played it for about 20 minutes and got bored. And yes, I do prefer games with more depth.

Dubbleco - On that list I only like battletoads arcade, because it's so ridiculous. I own and have played castle crashers, and I don't really like it all too much, it's just decent when you have a couple friends playing too.

Like I've said. If you like mindless beat em ups, from what I understand, this game is great. If you don't like that, then this probably isn't for you.

I can't change your taste in games, but this is the first really good game to come out for the 360 in a while. In a year of sequels, spin-offs, and movie licensed games all polished up to be something special this is a real diamond in a sea of cubic zirconia. It may seem like every other game out there, but this one IS legit.  

Dopahkiin

Lonely Conversationalist

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:02 am
Well, I again completely disagree with you... Fallout 3, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Street Fighter 4, and Resident Evil 5 may all be sequels, (well, F3 and BK barely are), but they're all decent/great games in their own respect.

The other issue I'm having with picking up this title is that all of the reviews are in the 70s range. Game magazines tend to give big budget games a higher review than they deserve, just look at Gears of War 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Halo 3, etc. etc. and when a game gets a low average score, usually it's fitting.

I am however, considering renting this from gamefly in a few weeks... that is after I play all the other 360 games that I'm interested in and that I haven't gotten the chance to play yet (there is a long list)  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 am
What is this Banjo Kazooie nonsense? A genre defining masterpiece? You obviously aren't into the same thing I am.  

Dopahkiin

Lonely Conversationalist

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:25 am
The original BK is indeed a genre defining masterpiece - something protoype cannot hope to ever be.

Nuts and Bolts is an original and intuitive game, it's not a masterpiece, but it's a new idea and introduces a fresh style of gameplay - again something that prototype cannot hope to do.

Then again, judging by what you like, you and I will never agree on what's good or not.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:32 pm
I recently purchased Prototype and i find it a very good game. I wouldnt compare it to Spiderman 2 but more recent Incredible Hulk video games.

And nitnit, not all games that were masterpeices back then are able to compare due to being old and old techonology. I mean, try playing the original 007 and it isnt as great as i remember it. I mean Banjo is still fun but i dont know. I have Nuts and Bolts but i never got around to playing it yet. I look forward to when i get the chance after beating a few more games.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm
Umm, I said what I said because DUbblecoMB_CoUNTess called BK nonsense and that my analysis of it being a genre defining masterpiece incorrect. I don't expect every game to be as good, but seriously - name me a collectathon platformer that is better than BK? In all honesty, Mario 64 set the groundwork a little, but BK is a better game. Also BK is still a great game, go play it again - you'll realize that even if the first couple levels were easy, it gets a lot tougher and the levels are very well made.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:33 pm
nitnit
Umm, I said what I said because DUbblecoMB_CoUNTess called BK nonsense and that my analysis of it being a genre defining masterpiece incorrect. I don't expect every game to be as good, but seriously - name me a collectathon platformer that is better than BK? In all honesty, Mario 64 set the groundwork a little, but BK is a better game. Also BK is still a great game, go play it again - you'll realize that even if the first couple levels were easy, it gets a lot tougher and the levels are very well made.
I wouldn't know, I only played it for about 20 minutes, which is not long enough to make an informed decision on your opinion about something.

Although super mario 64 AND Banjo Kazooie were great games, Ledgend of Zelda ruled the system. It had the best level design, best concept, and is one of the best games of all time. Meanwhile, BK has faded into obscurity so much that any game released under its title bares no resemblance to the original game.

Not to mention that a genre defining masterpiece is the game that lays the groundwork, not the game that improves on it. When a game comes along and makes such a big impact that everyone says "Every game should be something like this from now on", it can be considered a genre defining masterpiece. When a game comes out, is pretty good, but a lot like things people have seen before, it is NOT a genre defining masterpiece.  

Dopahkiin

Lonely Conversationalist

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:14 pm
Perhaps we are using different definitions of genre defining? BK took the 3D platformer, say Mario 64, gave it better moves/gameplay, better level design, more items that you actually use, and better characters. When I talk about genre defining, I talk about the best games in a genre. BK is one of, if not the best platformer game made, period. It is better than Mario 64, though it owes Mario 64 a lot for its roots.

Also BK never faded into obscurity... it still has a very strong following, ever hear of the rare witch project fansite? There are a lot of people there who post daily, and the vast majority of them are still talking about the old BK games. If BK was so obscure, then its rerelease on XBLA wouldn't have been so successful. Admittedly Banjo Pilot and Grunty's Revenge were dumb, but Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts is a refreshing new game style, and does something extremely rare in this industry - something original.

It's ok though. I insulted your game style of mash 3 buttons over and over, and said that spider man 2 wasn't very good, and you're pissed - it's understandable.

Btw all the gameplay videos of prototype make it look like the kind of game where you're surrounded by a group of people, so you press 2 buttons and everyone around you dies. Are these people just really good at the game, or is it mind numbingly easy? The majority of reviewers agree with that statement too. I'll probably try to out so I can rightfully bash it.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff