Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Xbox and Playstation Gaming
Good luck sony Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:15 pm
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6212246.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

"Despite a growing user base for the PlayStation 3 and PSP, Sony recently reported a total net loss of $1.03 billion , its first since 1995. The news came on top of previously announced job cuts and vast restructuring, while its flagship console, the PS3, continues to lag significantly behind both the Xbox 360 and the Wii in worldwide unit sales."

"I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform," he said. "It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation." - Activision  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:13 pm
GG deathguiser. Too bad he isnt here for my victory.  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:13 pm
Deathguiser told me to tell you that hes going to ******** you up. He said he'll show up on your doorstep in three days.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:52 pm
Yes, sony dies soon. rofl  

Your Irish Twin Brother

Dangerous Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • First step to fame 200

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:01 pm
Jonnnn
Deathguiser told me to tell you that hes going to ******** you up. He said he'll show up on your doorstep in three days.
I bet he doesn't have the nerve. razz  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:14 pm
Party at deathguiser's house in las vegas.  

nitnit
Captain

Dopahkiin

Lonely Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:13 am
They called me crazy... They said I was wrong... But I knew it! I knew that the PS3 would fail, and I've said it from the very beginning. The 700$ monolith of doom is dying. End of story.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:09 am
Who called you crazy? Probably very few people / no one from this guild - I don't really know of many PS3 supporters. We had a couple (kunx, deathguiser) but they've left for the most part.

I think the real issue wasn't the price tag - that's as expensive as the 360 elite now, it was the fact that almost every good game on the PS3 was on the 360, and the 360 had about 111 exclusive games on top of that. This, coupled with the 360's superior online support (Don't kid yourselves, XBL > PS3's online)... the only real advantages PS3 had were Blu Ray, Metal Gear Solid 4, and superior processing power (that was mostly unused). Oh. And PS3 didnt have a 30% hardware failure rate. But hey, we Americans love buying poorly made stuff that breaks easily  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:13 pm
Here is some more bad news for Sony that i read a few days ago

Quote:
Activision Threatens to Stop Supporting Sony Consoles Altogether
Written Friday, June 19, 2009 by Dan Webb

In a similar vein to the post earlier regarding Splinter Cell: Conviction being an Xbox 360 console exclusive, Activision chief, Bobby Kotick, told The Times that they may just stop supporting Sony altogether.

"I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation."

Ouch ... but wait, it gets worse for Sony.

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony." When asked when Kotick replied, "when we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console — and the PSP [portable] too."

Double ouch. Stern words from the Activision chief there, but goes a long way to answering the questions I posed this morning.

I suppose if they do stop supporting Sony ... PS3 owners will only miss out on a plethora of music cash ins and licensed crap. Yes, I just went there. I suppose they will miss out on the Infinity Ward Modern Warfare titles as well though, which is a sad day for PS3 owners if that ever happens ... although I can't see it happening, especially with a price cut on the console rumoured for the fall. Still, can't say I've ever seen those sort of threats thrown around before to one of the console creators.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:07 pm
Not surprising in the least. EAT IT, SONY FANBOYS!  

Haratio TaFotter

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:15 pm
Err... this isn't news to me, though I wish it were. I'm not a fan-boy, but I do like the PS3 exclusives. It was exclusives such as NIS games that influenced my decision to purchase a PS3. (And even then, Disgaea DS' sales totals... dood)

Still... it certainly is a kick to the nuts to know that my $600 investment may not even last as long as my $200 investment for the PS2.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:52 pm
If Sony has to cut the PS3's price again, then they're really doing bad. They are already losing money on each PS3 sold.  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:42 pm
nitnit
If Sony has to cut the PS3's price again, then they're really doing bad. They are already losing money on each PS3 sold.

I forgot about this.

I've read that they're losing as much as $260 on each sale. We know they're losing at least $130 as of last year.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:17 pm
nitnit

Yeah, its pretty funny when it took them forever to drop the price on the old PS2.  

Haratio TaFotter

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:09 pm
I dont think Sony as a whole will die... I mean they are pretty well invested into their electronic hardware. And remember, the PS3 isnt a video game console, its a "Entertainment System" lol.

hopefully people understand the joke...  
Xbox and Playstation Gaming

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces