Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Rain Magic? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:56 pm
Hullo!~

so I was driving through my neighborhood today with a friend, and we were both slightly depressed about the lack of rain for nearly three months here. All the plants were dieing. Except for the pine trees of course. But it was hard enough to try and keep my little Herb Garden alive because theres a water restriction now. The only green place on my block is my garden. and even some of those leaves are browning.

Anyways, we got back to my house to give my garden the little water it got, and she was helping me when she suggested that we try a rain dance, or a spell, or some variation of either. It would help the land a lot, but my question is, what is your opinion on this? I am rather tempted to try, but what would the reprocussions be?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:12 pm
Just a food for thought;

But where do you think that rain is coming from? Your place may need rain, but what about others?

When you preform a spell like that, you seriously have to think of where everything is comming from and if it's worth using other's rain to cause a little drizzle in your area.

Another thing you have to think about is how long is it supposed to last? Is it going to be rainy for days? Or just a few hours?

Namikikyo

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:27 pm
IF i a tempted it, the water source would be the ocean, since i live near the coast.
As for the length of how long it would rain, hopefully only a couple hours relief for the plants.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:31 pm
When things start getting into "drought" territory, one starts to think more seriously about actually casting a rain spell. There are legitimate reasons for doing one: lives of wild animals, livelihoods of farmers, etc.

You do need to think about other parts of the area, and the world, that you will be affecting. With this sort of thing, it's difficult to know how much rain you will get. Set too many restrictions on amount and you might not get any at all; spells work best when you have one clear desire. Complicating them with "but" means you're splitting your focus a little. You should also be thinking about how natural a drought is for your area. Drought in Sydney or Canterbury is pretty common, but when it starts to get to the point where livestock are seriously suffering, something needs to be done. Not too many years ago, the fields in Sydney were turning to dust, livestock was being sold for pittance because it cost too much to feed them, and farmers were killing themselves left and right. At that point, you need to weigh up helping your land and those who till it with the lives of those elsewhere.

Is a rain dance a spell, or not? I'm inclined to think it is, at least, it is the way I'd do it wink  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:32 pm
Unless you have a meteorologist's understanding of weather and its' patterns, and a magical adept's skill...well, not even then would I suggest you begin mucking around with the weather in any way shape or form metaphysically. There are umpteen billion ways it can go very very wrong - and it will affect not only you, and your area, but all the areas your weather then effects...and so on and so on.

Just...don't.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:42 pm
Droughts aren't common from my area during summer. We're usually drowned in it by now.
What's even more uncommon is that it's raining everywhere AROUND us, but it's like we're a big void that rain can't fall in. It's the weirdest thing, really. And I've lived here since i was born. This is the first summer that it's happened like this.
>_>'  

Artistic Genocide

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:51 pm
Interesting. Maybe someone cast an anti-rain spell wink

I'd leave it if I were you. It'll break itself in time. It doesn't sound serious enough yet to want to take action.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:51 pm
I would also advise against screwing with the weather.
too2sweet's area is dealing with the repercussions of weather fiddling; a pagan group in her area decided that in order to keep drought conditions away, they would cast a rain spell. Now apparently it rains all the goddamn time there.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:07 pm
Well, that's how it should be here, this time of year. And it shouldn't top more then 100 degrees, but it's topped 117 in the last week, and my kitten and the neighbor's horse suffered some sort of form of heat stroke.

My kitten died, but the horse is recovering okay.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:17 pm
I'm sorry about your kitten sad

Perhaps the dry spell is just supposed to be?  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:05 pm
If it is, it's one hell of a strange one.>_>'  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:47 am
LOL GLOBAL WARMING.

-cough-

Mmkay, in a situation like this, if anything, I would give some energy back to the earth, or to the atmosphere... something small for now.

As everyone else said, bringing rain may take it away from another place. Just wait it out; however, if things get very bad, then you might want to try something.

I hope it gets better for you! heart  

o sunflower king

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:53 am
Even though magic for rain is generally a bad idea, there's absolutely nothing that says one can't petition the Gods for rain. Make them an appropriate offering and ask away.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:40 am
I'm sorry to hear about your situation! I would also have to advise against tampering with the weather. Though, maybe do a rain dance or something of the sort? XD If you're a Saxon Pagan, maybe petition the Lord Ing for rain in the name of your herb garden, as he has dominion over that sort of thing. If not, then just ask your own gods and make proper offerings like Morgandria said.  

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:09 pm
That was my first option to begin with. xD Did you guys think i meant a spell like- "RAIN! RAIN NOWZ! I COMMANDZ YOU TO RAIN!"
I didn't mean like that.xD When i probably should have said ritual instead, But i would never screw with the wheather like that. I Meant do a spell/ritual/etc. to get the god(s)/Goddess(es) attention and ask for rain.xD
Probably should have clarified that.
my bad, guys.>_>'  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games