Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
To robe or not to robe? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:27 pm
Now I havn't seen any topics on this subject when I took a small peek back into ther earlier topics in this guild, so I thought I'de pose the question.
Lately I have been doing alot of research these days into other forms and beliefs in the craft and while reading I have come to notice that not all are strict in what you were when you choose to preform spells, rituals, magic of the like. Some say that robes should be worn at all times, others say that they should be worn durring the rituals at the Sabbets and Esbats, other say that you should dress how you feel you should.
I personally when performing a simple spell or meditating wear what I think if comfortable for me and what will not get in the way but, durring the Sabbets I enjoy wearing a robe.

Now the question on my mind is; how do you guys see this? How do you feel about wearing cermonial robes?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:40 pm
I only wear ceremonial cloths on Sabbats nothing more.  

Koigokoro Konjou

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:45 pm
Yes same here. But why do you work it that way?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:22 pm
My mom done it that way. So that's how I do it.  

Koigokoro Konjou

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:55 pm
I tend to work skyclad on my own, unless I'm outside in public. Then I'll simply dress in street clothes. With the coven, if a ritual includes Seekers and guests, we robe. If it's initiates-only, the traditional Wiccan approach tends to be skyclad.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:21 pm
I don't own a robe. It would be nice to have one for rituals, but at the moment, my non-Heathen ritual form is rather up in the air anyways.

For my Heathen stuff I wear mufti, for the non-Heathen stuff I'm usually skyclad. I get the idea that the goddess I worship doesn't like it when I wear my glasses, even. whee Don't ask me why.

It's nice to have ritual clothing. It puts one's mind into that "ritual" mindset and helps make it "special".  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

xXrainbowrazorsXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:50 am
i don't like working skyclad, not sure why but i really don't.
i have some special ceremonial clothes set aside there a bit robeish but not quite. and i had was them after every use.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:49 am
Ritual garb is mostly a mindset tool for me at this time. I have something I can wear, but I rarely if ever use it. It often ends up feeling... I dunno... like an artifice. This probably reflects my philosophy on dressing up in general. Sometimes I feel that primping yourself up is akin to putting up a lie; a facade. Doing such a thing for worship almost has a sacrilegious feel to it. xd  

Starlock

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:33 pm
Morgandria
I tend to work skyclad on my own, unless I'm outside in public. Then I'll simply dress in street clothes. With the coven, if a ritual includes Seekers and guests, we robe. If it's initiates-only, the traditional Wiccan approach tends to be skyclad.

Yes, I have read about that.
It sounds interesting to be, but a bit out of my own comfort zone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:39 pm
Starlock
Ritual garb is mostly a mindset tool for me at this time. I have something I can wear, but I rarely if ever use it. It often ends up feeling... I dunno... like an artifice. This probably reflects my philosophy on dressing up in general. Sometimes I feel that primping yourself up is akin to putting up a lie; a facade. Doing such a thing for worship almost has a sacrilegious feel to it. xd

Well thats a good point actually.
I rarely find the time to "dress up" as you call it but, when I do, for me its something that helps make what I am doing "special."

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:11 pm
I used to wear my Regalia (my path is Wizardry) whenever I did any ritual, but sadly it ripped beyond repair, and I have been too busy to sew up another one...

I mean, 3/4 of magick is mindset, and I feel a lot more magickal when I'm decked out in my full Wizards Regalia (Robe, jewelry, (sometimes) pointy hat, all of that stuff).

I meditate and similar non-ritual magickal practices in whatever's comfortable, though...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:21 pm
I wear my robe when a ritual doesn't require dancing because my robe is a bit long on me and drags on the ground, so it's irritating to deal with while trying to dance. And I definitly don't wear it when someone decides that we should use a zillion candles haha.  

Tari_Leralonde

o sunflower king

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:20 am
Well, since I practice alone (for now), I do it nude. xd I don't see why I need to concern myself with clothing. Plus, I do it inside (unfortunately), so again, I don't see why I should bother. I wish I had a nice place in the woods I could go into, but sadly, this isn't available to me. sad
If I ever end up joining a Wiccan tradition, though, I won't care whether or not robes are used versus nudity. Actually, I'd prefer nudity.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:22 am
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm meditating I'll wear whatever, so long as it's comfortable. I do energy work just about anywhere and clothing is socially acceptable... If I'm doing a cleansing in my home I'm nude. Nothing artificial between me and the energies I'm working with. When I do a cleansing for someone else I wear a thin shift or sheet. A new never used one. I don't want energies from previous cleansings or events to be clining to the item. I've thought about making one specifically for this, but haven't found the right fabric yet. It will need to be something that I can easily cleanse, but light enough so that I don't notice it when I'm working.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:22 pm
Taerinn
Well, since I practice alone (for now), I do it nude. xd I don't see why I need to concern myself with clothing. Plus, I do it inside (unfortunately), so again, I don't see why I should bother. I wish I had a nice place in the woods I could go into, but sadly, this isn't available to me. sad
If I ever end up joining a Wiccan tradition, though, I won't care whether or not robes are used versus nudity. Actually, I'd prefer nudity.

Alot of people I have talked to say they perfer to go about it skyclad.
Which is totally understandable actually, its more natural in a sence I would think.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games