I Just Got Back From Volterra! [pics] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:54 pm
Bonjourno!
I was recently in the wondrous city of Volterra, Italy, and I thought it would be nice to share my adventures with you! (And also because I saw that other person who had just been to Forks and I thought it would be cool to put up my pictures).

The city is up on a giant hill and the road up is really, really weavey. And narrow. I do not think you would ever be able to park on it like it says in the book.

User Image User Image

The streets are really narrow, and really crowded. There are tons of restaurants just in the middle of the streets because you're not allowed to drive in the town. You have to park outside and walk in.

User Image User Image User Image

Sadly, there is no fountain in the middle if the Piazza dei Priori . . . It's really, really big and there are like three cafes in the Piazza.

User Image User Image User Image

When standing in front of the clock tower, you are actually almost directly beside the main entrance into the city. It's like a two minute (probably less) walk to the entrance. Now, the clock tower is a museum as well, so I couldn't really figure out where Edward would be standing. I would like to know where you guys think he would be.

User Image

Just for fun I took a picture of one of the many sewer covers.

User Image

Now, I walked through almost the whole town and saw just about nothing Twilight. I saw two or three books and some small necklaces in the shapes of hearts and apples that had Twilight on them, until I came across this window in the tourist information building:

User Image

Overall, it was a very cool town. If you ever get the chance, you should go visit it. It's really, really neat and old. A piece of advice though, learn some Italian. It's would have been really helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:23 am
Ah, such amazing pictures.
I've always wanted to go to Italy, well before I read New Moon.

Anyway, may I ask why you were in Italy? :] I'm curious.

I think he'd probably be leaning against the front part of the building of the clock tower, not too close to the entrance to the Museum. Waiting for the sunlight to creep and hit his skin =)  

Jellycones

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:09 pm
Jellycones

I think he'd probably be leaning against the front part of the building of the clock tower, not too close to the entrance to the Museum. Waiting for the sunlight to creep and hit his skin =)

We just went for fun. It's a pretty neat country, I hope you do get to go sometime in your life.

I always imagined him standing beside the tower, but once I actually saw the tower, it didn't really work anymore. I read that part of the book over again, but I still didn't really help . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 pm
.Bucket.of.Joy.
Jellycones

We just went for fun. It's a pretty neat country, I hope you do get to go sometime in your life.

I always imagined him standing beside the tower, but once I actually saw the tower, it didn't really work anymore. I read that part of the book over again, but I still didn't really help . . .

Maybe Stephenie Meyer never had seen the actual tower, so she just made up her own description. Haha. And wow, you're so lucky!  

Jellycones

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 pm
Those are some lovely pictures!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:28 pm
awesome!!! i might go to italy next summer. hope i can go there!  

pink_sushi15

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 pm
pink_sushi15
awesome!!! i might go to italy next summer. hope i can go there!

Sweet. If you are going to either Rome or Florence or staying anywhere in that area, you'll be in driving range of Volterra. It's about three or for hours from Rome and about an hour from Florence. It's a very cool day trip.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:25 pm
I bet every place in the book is actually a place.
Like Isle Esme..but I'm just assuming. <3

Ish Wicky

Kari Twilight Mist

Shameless Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:43 am
That is SO beautiful! I would love to go there it looks so cool! I have a big thing for European history so I would like spasm with joy.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:04 pm
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!! eek
its pretty!!
its looks amazing!! cant wait for the movie!!  

Ashley_whitlock

Sparkly Sex Symbol

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:10 am
Ashley_whitlock
its pretty!!

I'm so excited for the movie! Especially since I visited Volterra.
And I watched the little sneak peak they showed during the San Diego Comic Con and was very pleased to see that the clock tower in the movie is just about identical to the actual clock tower. Those two clips they showed looked excellent. I think they're going to do a much better job with this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:21 am
It looks great!!! heart  

love_edward_bella

Ashley_whitlock

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:12 am
.Bucket.of.Joy.
Ashley_whitlock
its pretty!!

And I watched the little sneak peak they showed during the San Diego Comic Con and was very pleased to see that the clock tower in the movie is just about identical to the actual clock tower. Those two clips they showed looked excellent. I think they're going to do a much better job with this one.

did u go to the comic con to see it?
or did you see it on the inernet?...i cant find it sweatdrop
thats good that they did that.....uhhhh i cant wait!!!!!
ive only seen 2 commercials and i think it looked better then the first, hopefully it is!!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:39 pm
Ashley_whitlock
.Bucket.of.Joy.
Ashley_whitlock
its pretty!!

did u go to the comic con to see it?
or did you see it on the inernet?...i cant find it sweatdrop
thats good that they did that.....uhhhh i cant wait!!!!!
ive only seen 2 commercials and i think it looked better then the first, hopefully it is!!

No, going to San Diego from here would be a long way to go just for Comic Con (plus, screaming girls are just too much to handle. They annoy the hell out of me!) . . . I searched and searched for so long to find them and then came back here and some one had posted a link to a website which was hosting them. I am rather sure you can find it on YouTube, though. Just do a little more digging and I'm sure you'll find them somewhere.

I am so excited. November is just too far away right now. The excitement is gnawing at my belly!

.Bucket.of.Joy.

Aqua Anjel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 pm
thanks for sharing! it seems beautiful.  
Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items