8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 pm
User Image

"There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge."

Okay. So our galaxy, the Milky Way or in Greek-Calico galaxy, is a wondrous yet horrible piece of work. The Milky Way is approximately 100,000 light-years in diameter. Meaning it would take us 100,000 years, traveling at the speed of light, to travel from one side to the other.

Anyway, our Milky Way is unique in a way that it is a Spiral-Bar galaxy. Meaning it has a bar across its' center.

But-I thought we had a black hole at our center? Right?

Apparently, we do.

But how is this "bar" possible. Anything that gets close to a black hole gets sucked into infinity. But there are 30 million stars in this bar.

What? Both are true.

I want to know how. Anyone got answers?
[Don't know if this is the right forum section either.]

"There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force."

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 am
The only thing unique about a black hole is its density. If our sun magically turned into a black hole without going through the whole supernova thing first, the planets' orbits would be completely unaffected. Just think of a black hole as a very large, dark sun with no volume and everything becomes clear. And really... that's what a black hole is.

In short, they're just orbiting the hole.

Also, I'm moving this to the CB forum, for lack of gun-relatedness.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 am
Fresnel
The only thing unique about a black hole is its density. If our sun magically turned into a black hole without going through the whole supernova thing first, the planets' orbits would be completely unaffected. Just think of a black hole as a very large, dark sun with no volume and everything becomes clear. And really... that's what a black hole is.

Just like how all the customers orbit around my sisters hole. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:18 am
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Fresnel

Just like how all the customers orbit around my sisters hole. xd
Your sister's a prostitute? neutral  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:34 am
Well technically right now the b***h is more of a slut, but I wouldn't be surprised if she became a prostitute.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:59 am
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Well technically right now the b***h is more of a slut, but I wouldn't be surprised if she became a prostitute.
User Image  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:52 am
Fresnel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
User Image
Seconded.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 am
I had an interesting thought for you guys. You know how everyone's looking to Mars as the future? I think otherwise. I think I know a way to terraform Venus that would only take time (lots of it) and money (more of that). We could do it with current technology.

First, you land a ship on Callisto. Then it either builds or installs a pre-built rocket motor. Fly the entirety of Callisto to Venus, and park it in orbit. Wait a couple thousand years, and voilà! Earth-like and rocky. Maybe even oceans. Then just seed it with bacteria, wait a hundred years, and seed it with algae. Keep going up the food chain every hundred years or so until Venus is as lush as Earth.

See, the problem with Venus is the clouds, right? They insulate; trap the heat in. Earth would be like that too, if we didn't have the moon to strip away excess atmosphere. So how do we fix Venus' cloud-cover problem? Give them a moon. Venus is a touch smaller than Earth, and Callisto is a bit bigger than the moon, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with atomics.

User Image  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 pm
They are also much closer to the sun so the direct sunlight would be much more intense.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:06 pm
I remember watching some DVD from Nova on black holes. I don't remember anything from it, but hey, I got $80 just for watching it and taking a survey.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
They are also much closer to the sun so the direct sunlight would be much more intense.
It would be warmer, true, but they're still within the habitable band. It might be an interesting experiment as to what Earth would have been like if it'd been a few degrees warmer. Worst case scenario, the equator is a wasteland. Then, evolution! Natural selection breeds hardier species to take over the well-lit, previously-uninhabitable sections of the planet.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:48 pm
Earth is 93 million miles from the sun while Venus is 67.2 million miles. I strongly doubt that that big a difference would make Venus inhabitable even to the toughest survivors on earth.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:53 pm
Quote:
Although Venus is called the Earth's "twin," its surface conditions appear to be very different from those of the Earth. Geologists have had difficulty learning about the surface of Venus because the planet is always surrounded by thick clouds of sulfuric acid. They have used radar, radio astronomy equipment, and space probes to "explore" Venus.

Until recently, much of what geologists knew about the surface of Venus came from ground-based radar observations, the Soviet Union's Venera space probes, and United States Pioneer probes. In 1990, the U.S. space probe Magellan began orbiting Venus, using radar to map the planet's surface.

The surface of Venus is extremely hot and dry. There is no liquid water on the planet's surface because the high temperature would cause any liquid to boil away.

The temperature of the uppermost layer of Venus's clouds averages about 55 degrees F (13 degrees C). However, the temperature of the planet's surface is about 870 degrees F (465 degrees C), higher than that of any other planet and hotter than most ovens.

http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/venus_worldbook.html

If we were to somehow inhabit Venus we had better get a hell of an air conditioning system installed. Even if we could get the clouds to go away that wouldn't cool it anywhere near livable conditions.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:16 pm
Fresnel
Give them a moon.

Way Ahead of you.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:51 pm
Orkronos
Fresnel
Give them a moon.

Way Ahead of you.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Considering that was probably found in a scrap yard I'm sure we can get it for a reasonable price. biggrin  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff